Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IMMEDIATE HELP! SCREEN TURNED RED!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Immortal

Immortal

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

I am using a GA-945P-S3 mobo -- is that what you need? How do I check BIOS?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Hi Immortal,

I'll step in with a suggestion, though you are already getting excellent assistance and recommendations from others. :thumbup:

Everest should give you information about your BIOS
Select - Everest - Motherboard - BIOS
You can print a Report in Plain Text and attach it to your next post in this thread.

Or,
Watch your screen when booting and quickly hit Pause/Break when your BIOS information appears.
copy the information down with paper/pencil

or
Boot into BIOS SetUp to see BIOS version - (usually printed across the top of the screen.
copy the information down with paper/pencil

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#33 Immortal

Immortal

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

OK. So, I did the Memtest86+ overnight. It did 8 passes and 0 errors came up.

I did a WD Diag Quick and Extended Test; it passed both.

In EVEREST Ultimate Edition [Trial Version], it lists my BIOS Properties:

BIOS Type: Award Modular
BIOS Version: F2
Award BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message: Intel 945 BIOS for 945P-S3 F2
System BIOS Date: 8/04/06
Video BIOS Date: 1/31/07

Under BIOS Manufacturer:

Company Name: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Product Information: http://www.phoenix.c...cts/default.thm
BIOS Upgrades: http://www.esupport....fm?refererid=40

Under Problems and Suggestions:

Suggestion: Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade? Contact eSupport Today!

I'm also considering about just backing up all the files that I want and reformatting my HDD -- see if anything happens.

Edited by Immortal, 20 March 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#34 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:DVD Burning<br />Hardware<br />Malware

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

after a little more checking I would only consider a bios upgrade from this site

http://www.gigabyte....?ProductID=2324

there have been 4 since your version, that makes bios problems a more likely candidate but not a sure bet

Have you had any more luck with getting a northbridge temp reading, often labeled the mobo one?

A more primitive method of testing for temperature problems is open the case and direct a small room fan into it?

Another way to test if a component has been damaged is to reduce the system bus and see if the problem gets better

A clean install never hurts

#35 Immortal

Immortal

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

I downloaded CPUID Hardware Monitor. It has two temperature readouts: TMPIN0: -54 C ( -66 F) TMPIN1: 44 C (114 F) Last night when I was trying to mount the Memtest86+ ISO on a CD-ROM, I smelled something burning. So, I quickly shutdown my computer. I opened up the cased and sniffed, literally, around and didn't smell anything like I had before. In fact, the smell had dissipated. I wanted to make sure my hardware didn't have burn marks. So, I took off the heatsink from my processor. I didn't find any burn marks, anywhere. I later found out that the CD-ROMs actually smell like smoke bombs (I kid you not). They are Memorax brand CDs. So, no my computer is not on fire. But, I'm not sure if removing the heatsink from the processor would increase the risk of CPU overheating without proper removal and application of new thermal paste. I'm not sure if you have to reapply thermal paste every time you remove the heatsink or not. I'm not even sure if its a good idea to reapply thermal paste every now and then to the heatsink and proc. I did, however, buy some thermal paste (Antec Formula 5). If you think it is appropriate, I'll reapply some thermal paste to my heatsink and proc. I did boot into BIOS SetUp when I rebooted my computer and found that the temperature above (44 C) is consistent with the BIOS SetUp readout. BTW: The website gave a warning about flashing the BIOS. Does this also including updating? Flashing the same thing as updating? Also, how do I go about updating my BIOS. When I downloaded F6 for my motherboard, extracted the files, and opened the exe, a menu appeared and I couldn't find anything that hinted towards updating the BIOS.

Edited by Immortal, 20 March 2008 - 08:52 PM.

#36 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

bios updating should be a last resort you should have cleaned the old paste and reapplied new before booting the computer again the vid card can get awfully hot, did you clean out the fan good on it? compressed air is sometimes the only way to get to it?

#37 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

And 99% isopropyl alcohol is the solvent to use on a q-tip to clean the CPU and heatsink fan base before applying fresh compound and mating them back up. Isopropyl 99% is only about $1.00 at any pharmacy, but watch the label as there are other less pure varieties usually for even less money.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#38 Immortal

Immortal

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

Well, I updated my BIOS to F6 successfully. I also reapplied some thermal paste to my heatsink after properly removing the old thermal paste. I set my fans back to high; my startup is just as fast as before. CD-Drive still has autoplay issues and My Computer also freezes up still when I try to open D:/ drive for the first time after new disk is loaded into CD tray. I'll be doing a reformat tonight just so I can say I gave her a good polishing. Tell ya how it all works out tomorrow morning.

Edited by Immortal, 21 March 2008 - 12:17 AM.

#39 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:13 AM

if you have problems booting to the cd, that's an indication of a bad drive(optical) filter drivers play heck with optical drives also not sure how this would relate to red screens tho

#40 Immortal

Immortal

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:28 AM

I'm not sure how CD drives involve red screens (mind you, the red screen that occurred for me wasn't the Red Screen of Death -- it was just a plain red screen). I stated earlier in the thread that I haven't had anymore red screens, yet. Digerati believed that it could've been a PSU problem. Before the red screen occurred, my combo drive, which was an LG before I got a new one, was very slow to respond, didn't autoplay, and also froze up when I tried to open the D:/ through My Computer. The same problem still occurs with my brand new Samsung drive. Also, my old PSU wasn't faulty -- as far as my Ultimate LCD Power Supply Tester can tell -- nor is my new PSU. I did memtest86+ for 8 passes with 0 errors. I did a quick and extended WD Diag test and passed both. I've flashed my BIOS succesfully to F6 (latest version for my mobo). Cleaned out my case. Reapplied thermal paste to the CPU and heatsink. Tried several sensors that ya'll suggested, which most seem to be of no use or buggy for my current rig. I'm reformatting my HDD. If I still have the same problems, well than my computer's a load of horse apples.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:42 AM

A clean install never hurts

Well, actually, formatting and reinstalling Windows is ALWAYS a last ditch effort - not only do you lose all your personal data, but you end up months, if not years, behind in critical updates.

And I agree that you should never reuse TIM (thermal interface material) once it has cured - which is generally after the first couple heat/cool cycles.

And although 99% Alcohol would be hard to fine, 91 - 93% is easy and find and that is okay. As Doug noted, less pure varieties of ~70% are available for less money, but they should be avoided as they leave a film. Acetone, available at your hardware counter, is actually better yet.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#42 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:34 AM

Well, actually, formatting and reinstalling Windows is ALWAYS a last ditch effort

There is a lack on consensus on this even in the "official" anti-malware community, given the nature of present malware

I have seen people try to patch humpty dumpty back together again, and all the kings horses etc couldn't......

I will admit XP is by far the stablest OS I have ever used, but time and time again the technical support community can't fix something
with chkdsk or even a repair when available

Hopefully people will learn to back up and sp3 for XP will be forthecoming to the general public

He seems to have decided that on his own and after a week and 40+ posts it seems a viable option

#43 Immortal

Immortal

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

Well, I just reformatted my HDD. My CD drive works fine now. Desktop icons and start bar still take some time to load. I believe that problem is caused by my fan speeds (the 4 fans that are built into my Antec 900 case), although it sounds crazy. I did several tests after reformatting. High fan speed makes the desktop startup slower and low fan speed makes the desktop startup faster. Not sure if in fact my startup is slower or not because McAfee seems to execute at about the same time for both high fan speed setting and low fan speed setting.

EDIT: After installing some Windows Updates, my Desktop icons and start bar load quickly even with my case fan's speeds set to high. Everything seems to be in tip-top shape now.

I'll update you on things as it comes up.

Thanks so much for everything, guys. I truly appreciate your help.

I think it's time to shut down this thread :thumbup:

Edited by Immortal, 21 March 2008 - 10:07 AM.

#44 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

Well, actually, formatting and reinstalling Windows is ALWAYS a last ditch effort

There is a lack on consensus on this even in the "official" anti-malware community, given the nature of present malware

Oh? Notwithstanding that you don't need a consensus if there is no dissension, I would like to see where some of my colleagues and peers suggest formatting as one the first options to clear a system of malware. Got any links to any of these "official" anti-malware sites that do recommend reformatting as one of the "initial" options? Besides losing all data, and the security updates I mentioned earlier, you also lose updated drivers, some of which are necessary for SP2 or Vista. However, another reason for not formatting without exhausting all other options is that nothing is learned! You don't know what caused the problem, therefore, you don't know how to prevent it from recurring.

I'm not saying never reformat - I am saying for most people to exhaust all other options first when troubleshooting a problem - you just lose too much when you have to start over - unless of course, you have a current backup image. Everyone has a current backup, right? ;)

@immortal. I am sorry you had to take such drastic action, but I am glad you got it going - not you get to rebuild your security defenses, and get them up to speed. Good luck. Thanks for the update.

P.S. Set a restore point while things are working good!
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#45 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

suggest formatting as one the first options to clear a system of malware.

there's a lot of middle ground inbetween there

rootkit/backdoor trojans are the only thing where I see referals to a reformat as the best possible option for security reasons obviously

here again there is a time to quit beating a dead horse and consider a reformat as an option, sometimes it works as in this thread