Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Help please...HJT denied access to Hosts file?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 taz?

taz?

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:36 AM

Help please.. It's my 1st time to use hijackthis and when I started "do a system scan and save a log file", a message appeared saying:

"for some reason your system denied access to the hosts file. if any hijacked domains are in this file, hijackthis may not able to fix this..."

then suggested to run: notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
when i did, i cant find any hijackthis line/s.

I am using vista which the message also suggested to simply exit HJT, right-click in the HJT icon and choose "Run As Administrator", which I also cannot find in the right-click menu of HJT icon.

By the way, I downloaded HijackThis V.2

Anyone?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

Hello Taz,

Try the following and see how you go

kind regards,
_________
System Restore Point facility
Go to:
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
follow the onscreen directions.
Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.
see how you go.
Note 1 using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2 It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.

#3 taz?

taz?

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hi Tallin!

I tried to use restore point but i cant find older restore point made by my computer. I only showed me 7-day old restore point. I would be useless if I use that restore point because my problem started before that.

What I did just now was uninstalled the HJT v.2 and downloaded the v.1.99 from this site and tried scanning my system and voila! no problem at all!
it just generated log file unlike the HJT v.2.
I dont know if there's something wrong w/ my system or it was just the latter version of HJT that's having a problem..I have no idea. Anyway, thank you very much for the help man! I truly appreciate it!
Now I will first start teaching myself using HJT...

Be back to you soon! (hopefully w/ not a big problem. hehe!)

More Power!

Best regards!!

taz? :thumbup:

#4 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

denied access to the hosts file.

That's normal using HJT with Vista

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hello Taz,

Please now make a new Systems Restore point by going to:
  • Start
  • Programs
  • Accessories
  • System tools
  • System Restore
Post a HJT log in the appropriate forum if you think you need. HERE.

Post back if you need more assistance.

kind regards,