This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Please help me, my computer has been infected.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer has been infected with the Trojan-Downloader .Win32.Zlob.jul virus/spyware. My operating system is XP and I'm using zonealarm anti-virus/spyware and firewall. After scanning for virus, I was able to quarantine and delete virus. Now I'm getting these system alerts at the bottom right hand corner of my monitor saying that the computer is infected. When I click on the balloons it redirects me to websites (VirusHeat, and Virus Ranger) trying to sell me protection. I also ran Webroot Spy Sweeper which detected some spyware, but after deleting them, I'm still getting these system alert warnings. I don't know what else to do and would appreciate any help you guys could give me.
Hi

Download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) to your Desktop. Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.
  • Close all applications and windows.
  • Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  • If asked to install HijackThis click on Yes
  • When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt <- this one will be maximized and extra.txt<-this one will be minimized
  • Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt and the extra.txt in your next reply
Hi Scotty, thanks for responding. However, I'm leaving for work now and will not be able to complete your instructions until tonight (~ 10:00PM eastern) when I get home. Hopefully I'll still be able to get some help then. Thanks.
Scotty, I tried to download Deckard's Sysytem Scanner, but I keep getting a HTTP 403 Error - IE was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the website.
Hello

Could be the infection blocking you. Try this.

Install HijackThis

  • Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.
  • Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.
Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
Hi

Lets run an F-Secure online scan it will scan for Viruses, Spyware and RootKits:
Click Here
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Start scanning button. A window will pop up.
Allow the Active X control to be installed on your computer, then click the Accept button
Click Full System Scan and allow the components to download and the scan to complete.
If malware is found, check Submit samples to F-Secure then select Automatic cleaning
When cleaning has finitished, click Show report (this will open an Internet Explorer window containing the report)
Highlight and Copy (CTRL + C) the complete report, and Paste (CTRL + V) in a new reply to this post

If Automatic cleaning with Submit samples hangs, click Cancel, then New Scan
When the cleaning option is presented, Uncheck Submit samples to F-Secure
Click Automatic cleaning
When cleaning has finitished, click Show report (this will open an Internet Explorer window containing the report)
Highlight and Copy (CTRL + C) the complete report, and Paste (CTRL + V) in a new reply to this post


Note: This scan will only work with Internet Explorer.
You must be logged on a administrator rights to run this scan.
The scan may take a few hours.
Scotty, sorry for taking so long to respond. In my frustration, I've reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the XP OS. Pretty much starting from scratch. Thanks for your help.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI