This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] CAN'T UNHIDE HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently installed a new copy of XP-Pro on my desktop computer. I wanted to copy my applications folder from my notebook so I could easily have all my office toolbars, passwords, etc., but I could not see the apps folders I opened 'folder options' and the 'view' tab, clicked radio button ' show hidden files and folders' and unchecked 'hide protected os files'. The changes won't remain changed. They revert back to the original state. I even attempted to manually change the settings in regedit but that didn't work either. Help please!
I recently installed a new copy of XP-Pro on my desktop computer. I wanted to copy my applications folder from my notebook so I could easily have all my office toolbars, passwords, etc., but I could not see the apps folders I opened 'folder options' and the 'view' tab, clicked radio button ' show hidden files and folders' and unchecked 'hide protected os files'. The changes won't remain changed. They revert back to the original state. I even attempted to manually change the settings in regedit but that didn't work either. Help please!
I recently installed a new copy of XP-Pro on my desktop computer. I wanted to copy my applications folder from my notebook so I could easily have all my office toolbars, passwords, etc., but I could not see the apps folders I opened 'folder options' and the 'view' tab, clicked radio button ' show hidden files and folders' and unchecked 'hide protected os files'. The changes won't remain changed. They revert back to the original state. I even attempted to manually change the settings in regedit but that didn't work either. Help please!
goldnucs,

Welcome to the forum, please reply to this thread only by using the Add Reply and do not start any new topics for the same issue. Post a Hijackthis log and if its clean than it most likely is a windows issue and I can link you to some support forums that deal with issues like yours.

Download Trendmicros Hijackthis to your desktop.
Double click it to install
Follow the prompts and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe
  • Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
  • Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
  • Go to Edit> Select All…..Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the Post Reply and not start a New Thread.
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI