Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Remove Program Failure, NSIS and uninstall.exe errors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ouka

Ouka

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

Hi all, So I'm playing tech support for some friends and they have seriously mangled their systems. Naturally no restore disks and they managed to corrupt their HP Recovery partition. So instead of just nuking this thing I actually have to fix it. Anyway, Add/Remove Programs throws either the dreaded NSIS error or the windows "Uninstall.exe has enocutnered an error and needs to close" I know that the NSIS error occurs if the installer is borked (corruption, virus, et al) and I'm guessing the same sort of problem is at the root of the uninstall.exe errors, but all the help sites I've read talk about how to either re-download an installer or use a command line command to skip the error check on install. But I don't want to install, I want to uninstall. There are 50+ apps that shouldn't be on this box, most of them in chinese so I can't readily find and download their installers. I just need to get all this carp** off their machines. Is there an easy way to complete an uninstall even if I'm getting these errors using the WIndows add/remove programs tool?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

Try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, see if that does the trick.

More info available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown