bombertron
Topic Starter
I'm having problems with the ever fun Cool Web Search spyware. I've tried about everything I can think of, and nothing works.
I've tried AdAware
Panda Virus Scan
Trend Micro Devices Virus Scan
SpyKiller
SpyBot
Xoft
SpySweeper
CWShredder
With every combination of booting into safe mode that I can think of, and nothing has worked.
I'm running Windows 2000 with IE 6 (thank goodness for Netscape)
What's happening:
I cannot reset my default homepage to something I want (like www.google.com), when I change it, the spyware keeps changing it back immediately to: http://cashsearch.biz/redir.php
Also, it looks like there is a process that is generating a new hosts file in \WINNT about every 1/2 second (I somehow was able to write protect the one in \WINNT\system32\drivers\etc, but it was trying to rewrite that one before also).
I also deleted several files in the WINNT folder that were spyware, for example system.exe, patch.exe, and mssys.exe
Here is my HiJack This log
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:52:34 AM, on 5/23/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP2 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\WinVNC.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\Mixer.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\WINNT\htpatch.exe
D:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
F:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\U.S. Robotics\ControlCenter\Reminder.exe
D:\Netscape\Netscp.exe
D:\Program Files\EditPlus 2\editplus.exe
C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.9\load.exe
C:\WINNT\system.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Access4Free
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=proxy.wayne.edu:8080
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {656EC4B7-072B-4698-B504-2A414C1F0037} - C:\Program Files\Access-4-Free Express\prpl_IePopupBlocker.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINNT\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] D:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "F:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinVNC] "C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\WinVNC.exe" -servicehelper
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Instant Update Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\U.S. Robotics\ControlCenter\Reminder.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .wav: D:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\PLUGINS\npbeatnk.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/7d90ae0…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8991B182-5286-45E1-8C74-FE608ED6ED21}: NameServer = 68.42.244.6,68.42.244.5
Please help,
Thank you
I've tried AdAware
Panda Virus Scan
Trend Micro Devices Virus Scan
SpyKiller
SpyBot
Xoft
SpySweeper
CWShredder
With every combination of booting into safe mode that I can think of, and nothing has worked.
I'm running Windows 2000 with IE 6 (thank goodness for Netscape)
What's happening:
I cannot reset my default homepage to something I want (like www.google.com), when I change it, the spyware keeps changing it back immediately to: http://cashsearch.biz/redir.php
Also, it looks like there is a process that is generating a new hosts file in \WINNT about every 1/2 second (I somehow was able to write protect the one in \WINNT\system32\drivers\etc, but it was trying to rewrite that one before also).
I also deleted several files in the WINNT folder that were spyware, for example system.exe, patch.exe, and mssys.exe
Here is my HiJack This log
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:52:34 AM, on 5/23/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP2 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\WinVNC.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\Mixer.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\WINNT\htpatch.exe
D:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
F:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\U.S. Robotics\ControlCenter\Reminder.exe
D:\Netscape\Netscp.exe
D:\Program Files\EditPlus 2\editplus.exe
C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.9\load.exe
C:\WINNT\system.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Access4Free
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=proxy.wayne.edu:8080
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://cashsearch.biz/redir1.php
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {656EC4B7-072B-4698-B504-2A414C1F0037} - C:\Program Files\Access-4-Free Express\prpl_IePopupBlocker.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINNT\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] D:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "F:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinVNC] "C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\WinVNC.exe" -servicehelper
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Instant Update Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\U.S. Robotics\ControlCenter\Reminder.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .wav: D:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\PLUGINS\npbeatnk.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/7d90ae0…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8991B182-5286-45E1-8C74-FE608ED6ED21}: NameServer = 68.42.244.6,68.42.244.5
Please help,
Thank you