This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Protected Storage Service

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was browsing my services to see what was started manually and what was started automatically, and what was dependent on the service. (okay, I was bored). :popcorn:

I came across "Protected Storage" and upon looking at the path and dependencies, I noticed that the path was C:\WINDOWS\system 32\Isass.exe. I cant tell whether it is a capital I or a lower case l. The dependency is Remote Proceedure Call (RPC) which strikes me as suspicious.

Can someone look at these captures and give me an educated opinion?
Thanks! and Aloha, Don

[external image: Posted Image] [external image: Posted Image] [external image: Posted Image]
Hi Watcherduck

All 3 services are normal benign in nature.

lsass.exe (with lower L) is a system process that control local security and login policies. It should not be teminated as it is vital to the overall security of your windows system.

Sidenote: The most notably infection in this file that springs to mind, is the lsass.worm.
But if you were infected, you would know, as it starts a clock on your screen, bidding you to close everything and backup your stuff before its countdown reaches zero (something like that anyhow). Google it if you want.

Remote Procedure Call

Protected Storage (Can be closed without any complications other than you have to write your passwords in OE and IE thereafter)

Regards Abydos
Thanks! I did google some, but couldn't find a satisfactory explanation, except the lsass worm, and was wondering. These links are excellent. Again thanks! :thumbup: Aloha, Don
Hi Watcherduck

Youre welcome :thumbup:

If you have similar questions, a great site is this one

At the bottom of the page, look for the category Libraries.

TheEldergeek.com is also great.

Kind regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI