Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Forgot Ipod Security Code

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nettie724

Nettie724

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

I have a friend who just got an ipod on yesterdday. She somehow set a security code on it without knowing that was what she was doing. Now she can't listen to her music that she downloaded on it. Can the code be overwritten and reset? Denise
  • azutesa, ruibiod and ifuyile like this

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

I have a friend who just got an ipod on yesterdday. She somehow set a security code on it without knowing that was what she was doing. Now she can't listen to her music that she downloaded on it. Can the code be overwritten and reset?

Denise

Hello Denise 9012,

Here is a link that may help you. :)

kind regards,

#3 kazzoo

kazzoo

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hi Denise9012

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Ipod.

Tallin's advise is good and will get you your ipod back under your control. But there is a thing or two you may want to try that will not erase the data that a restore will do.

Snip

This support document also provides additional information on locking and unlocking the iPod.

According to Apple, if you have forgotten the code, you can unlock the iPod by doing the following:

Connect your iPod to the primary computer you use it with (the first one iPod synced with), and open iTunes. When you disconnect iPod from the computer, it will no longer be locked.

If you can't unlock iPod using either [the code or connecting it to the computer you use to manage its songs]. . . you can restore your iPod to factory settings using iPod Updater.

Please note that this will erase all data on your iPod. Afterwards, you can add your music and data back to your iPod.

If you want to change the primary computer that your iPod is associated with, do this:

1. Restore your iPod. Warning: The restore process cannot be undone. All of your songs and files will be deleted. Always make a backup of your important data.
2. Connect your iPod to the computer that you want to be the primary computer.
3. Open iTunes and synchronize.
Apple also notes that company "representatives cannot unlock an iPod if you forget your combination. If you can't unlock your iPod and you don't have access to the primary computer, your only option is to restore the iPod, which will erase all music and data."

End snip

Regards

Kaz
Badgers? I dont need no stinking Badgers!

#4 Nettie724

Nettie724

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Tallin and Kaz for your help. Denise

#5 Nettie724

Nettie724

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hi, Tallin! I didn't know if I should post a this question under another fourm or just continue here being it's relevant to this topic. Well what I did was copied/pasted the replies from Kaz and you to my friend by sending her an email. Was that ok for me to do? I was late for me and I wasn't going to see her for a while. Denise

#6 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

Hi, Tallin!

I didn't know if I should post a this question under another forum or just continue here being it's relevant to this topic. Well what I did was copied/pasted the replies from Kaz and you to my friend by sending her an email. Was that ok for me to do? I was late for me and I wasn't going to see her for a while.

Denise

Hello Denise,

You were absolutely correct in what you did to help your friend to access her Ipod. After all we are here to help everyone that needs help with their machines. :thumbup:

Why not suggest to your friend that she join this wonderful forum and participate in all that is currently accessible to them as a member.

We will look forward to your further postings when you feel free to do so.

kind regards, :wavey:

#7 Nettie724

Nettie724

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Thanks, Tallin! I am glad I didn't violate any WTT terms. I have every intention of telling all of my family and friends about your forums. Denise

#8 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

Denise9012 wrote:
I have every intention of telling all of my family and friends about your forums.

:friends: Great, we will welcome all new Members

kind regards,

#9 softball132348

softball132348

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

I have a friend who just got an ipod on yesterdday. She somehow set a security code on it without knowing that was what she was doing. Now she can't listen to her music that she downloaded on it. Can the code be overwritten and reset? :( jessica

#10 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Bummer, Jessica. Not sure if you are expressing sympathy for Nettie724 (Denise) by signing with that :( sad emoticon. Or if perhaps you are having the identical problem yourself, as indicated by using the identical words of Nettie's first post. If you are having the same problem, read the information provided above. That will probably get you started with enough options to reach a solution. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#11 jetal

jetal

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Solution: simple, elegant, no Apple or Microsoft software required.

A friend asked me to fix his, he couldn't remember the code. I will *NOT* install iTunes on my computer.

I looked in the ipod filesystem and found a settings file called something like "locked" and just deleted it. that seemed to be all it needed. I couldn't find the original code or change it but the player plays now.

It's not in front of me anymore, I don't remember the exact path or filename but if you browse/explore the filesystem and are careful not to delete anything else you should be fine. The file was less than 100 bytes in size (I think) and the name was similar to just "locked".