This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

workstation service fails on startup

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I am working on a Windows XP Home Ed w/SP2 PC. In the last few days it started going into an infinite reboot loop. I am able to boot into safe mode. I checked the system event log and see the error that the Workstation service failed to start with event id: 3113. Description: Initialization failed because the requested service redirector could not be started. I changed the system failure setting to not automatically restart. The next time I booted the PC it got to the Starting Windows screen and blue screened. The error listed in the blue screen indicated that it had a problem with mrxdav.sys. I have done a couple searches and found that there is a hotfix from MS. Does anybody know how this could have gone bad? I scanned the harddrive with Symantec AV and did not come up with any issues. I read that a malware could have taken the file over. Any ideas? Thanks. Mike

Hello, I am working on a Windows XP Home Ed w/SP2 PC. In the last few days it started going into an infinite reboot loop. I am able to boot into safe mode. I checked the system event log and see the error that the Workstation service failed to start with event id: 3113. Description: Initialization failed because the requested service redirector could not be started.

I changed the system failure setting to not automatically restart. The next time I booted the PC it got to the Starting Windows screen and blue screened. The error listed in the blue screen indicated that it had a problem with mrxdav.sys. I have done a couple searches and found that there is a hotfix from MS. Does anybody know how this could have gone bad? I scanned the harddrive with Symantec AV and did not come up with any issues. I read that a malware could have taken the file over.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Mike


Hello mikevb01,

I noticed and read your link where you have been working with Trevuren up until moments before your post above onto this forum.


Trevuren wrote:
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.


I would suggest you re open your link explaining your situation.

kind regards,
Thank you for replying, but this is in fact a different problem with a different PC. I am trying to get a hotfix from MS, but they are giving me some problems. I have a case number and will be calling them in the morning. Mike
Okay, understand, post back if you need help here.

Suggest while you wait the following may help you.

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between the c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack ie SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

Kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI