This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wireless Security Problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a problem with my notebook and wireless connection to my network. I have a 3Com Cable Modem/Router (3CRWE554G72) and a 3Com wireless card (3CRWE154G72). I am using MAC address security but would also like to add WPA encryption as well. My SSID has been changed and in not broadcasting. When I try to turn encryption on I can not connect with my notebook. When I leave it off I make connection. The problem I have is with the Encryption Key. The router software and the wireless card have different screens and I am getting confused. Not hard to do these days. The Router allows you to enter the key in two ways, Manual Pre-Shared Key or a Pre-Shared Passphrase. But the software on the wireless card only gives the option of the Pre-Shared Key. When I enter the same character string in both devices I can not get connected. What am I missing please.
Hi CharlieV, and welcome to the WTT forums.
Sorry to hear of the problem with your wireless encryption.
As you say, the screens can be confusing and what with the varying sorts of WEP and WPA encryption it is easy to enter the wrong password or the right password( but in the wrong format or even the form of WPA encryption that you wish to use.
The fact that your machines are just fine with no encryption in force means that you have to examine every encryption setup screen in both router and your computer in minute detail.

1 If you can, forget WEP encryption all together. This narrows down the choices substantially and it's not very secure anyway

2 Use WPA, ( it is more secure) but you will need to check that the WPA encryption you set in your router is the same as in your computer (there are a numbers of different flavours (strengths) and they must match exactly.

3 For set up purposes only, choose a simple password that is difficult to mistype….the shorter the better, but generally you will need a minimum of 8 characters, the passwords are case sensitive so Password is different from password, don't leave spaces, and make sure that Caps lock is off and with a smaller keyboard (Laptop) the Function Key if fitted is used appropriately. Don't use the numerical keyboard to the right of the conventional keyboard. (desktop) Finally you may be given the choice of using a hex password/phrase and my advice would be not to use this for initial set up, just choose something easy that you can copy into notepad so you may be able to paste it into the correct boxes (eliminates typos by doing it this way)

4 Once you have got your encryption working then you can sit down and work out a more secure password.

Just some further thoughts:
There is nothing wrong in using MAC address filtering, but you do call it MAC address security…… and really there is very little security in the technique……..it may however put a small obstacle in the way of someone who is not into computers or networks, but the bad guys would have it licked within 30 seconds…….. the same can be said for "suppressing" the broadcast of your SSID ……… the security comes principally from the WPA encryption.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI