This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Modify monitor.inf file that lowest res was 800x600?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Guys, it is possible to somewhat modify the monitor.inf file (or perhaps something else?) that the lowest offered resolution to switch Windows 2000 SP4 into is, like in XP, 800x600?

I managed to setup the monitor.inf file I use to offer me highest 1024x768 resolution easily, just using the HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1024,768" - but can I adjust lowest resolution too?
And how?

My monitor.inf file now used:

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
Provider=trodas

[Manufacturer]
%CUSTOM%=EIZO

[EIZO]
%F520% = EIZO_FlexScanF520, EIZO FlexScan F520

[EIZO_FlexScanF520]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=F520.AddReg, 1024, DPMS

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[F520.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1024,768",Mode1,,"30.0-96.0,50.0-160.0,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,3

[1024]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1024,768"

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

[ICM9]
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,9

[Strings]
MS="Microsoft"
CUSTOM="EIZO"

F520 = "EIZO FlexScan F520"

Hi,
Have you tried the usual conventional way of downloading appropriate drivers for your video and then selecting the resolution you require?
This is a relatively safe and easy procedure to perform.
If you have tried this and cannot achieve the results you desire then you might consider going here:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
and having a look at the trial version.
NOTE only consider this route if you are an advanced and experienced user, and aware of the risks….. damaging your machine is a possibility.I f you are not 100% confident in your ability to modify .inf files in this way, without causing system instability or damage to your machine do not use this route but confine yourself to altering your resolution in the usual conventional manner
Regards
paws
Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to set this? I note according the Flexscan F520 manual, the recommended resolution is 1024 X 768 @ 118Hz refresh rate. It seems to me you should strive for the best picture quality, and that would be at that resolution. Of course, the displayed resolution is always a corporative effort between the monitor and the graphics card. Your card may not be able to provide that refresh rate, but it should do at least 70Hz. And I agree with paws and recommend using the Windows display properties GUI to set the resolution rather than tweaking the ini file. JMHO.
paws -

Have you tried the usual conventional way of downloading appropriate drivers for your video and then selecting the resolution you require?

I'm sorry, we probably missunderstand each other. I have my drivers, all working well for me, thank you. What I trying to do is, that I want the windows display control panel allowing me to choose only from CERTAIN resolutions. As I stated already, between 800x600 and 1024x768.
I already achieved the high limitations - I create my own F520.inf and set the 1024x768 as highest resolution the monitor can handle and then check the option that hide resolutions the monitor does not support.
Hence now I can choose only UP to 1024x768 res in windows.
But there is 640 pix wide and plenty of 7xx resolution bellow the 800x600 and I do wonder, if there is any way to make them disappear, too.

After all, somewhere must be set that Win2k allow the lowest resolutions to be 640x480. (while XP go for 800x600 as I want convince Win2k too)

[external image: Posted Image]

I hope we understand each other better now :)


Digerati - easy answer. For movies and higher quality of image in them, I switching the resolution from 1024x768 I use daily to 800x600. Some are 800 pixels wide anyway (2CD version of The Kingdom I watched yesterday, for example, even the movie suxx somewhat), so no scaling = no lose of quality, sharpest image, cool.
So, I just don't want there these lower that 800x600 resolutions to display. Either modify the monitor.inf file or hack the cpl to allow only 800x600 and higher has to be the solution.
I use 1024x768 100Hz daily.
Let's hope we understand each other now better :P My english probably suxx so badly, or something… :blush:
Your English is much better than many who have English as their native language! :( I am afraid I don't know how to do what you want - I guess from my perspective, if a resolution is not to my liking, I will just skip over it rather than worry about the setting no longer being there. Perhaps some one else reading can help.
I thought I already posted this but I don't see it.

What about trying HKR,,MinResolution,,"800,600"? Seems logical (means it probably won't work, but worth a try.

I also (like Digerati) don't understand why this is necessary. It's not difficult to skip over resolutions you don't want, to chose the one you do? You had another post recently about removing an entry from Control Panel or Start Menu or such that didn't make much sense to me either.

I guess that's the beauty of computers, you can whack them any way you want :lol:

I thought I already posted this…

You didn't but Trodas did in his opening post. ;)

I guess as far as removing unused features, well, that's your option, if it can be done. But you may dread the folly of your ways if you decide to upgrade hardware and suddenly discover a feature you need is no longer available. JMHO, again.
Digerati - well, good to know I did not speaking complete Gibberish. Czech is my native language, but I think my English should not be that bad, but I can well read in Polish as well (not to mention Slovak, but that is even more similar language to Czech that Polish) and a little I can use German language. I do can recognize Spanish and Ital, but that it is.
As you can see, my language skills are limited.

And yes, true, I can and I will skip it, but it is much more convenient to get it completely off the slider. Why? Because then I can just slide the slider violenty to the left and click ok :) :D

That it is. it is not a requirment. I just wonder, if and how is this possible. And I'm ready to hack the CPL to get what I want ;)


Ztruker - well, that happen for me todays too. I was convinced I posted some thread at OCAU, but it just was not here. I shake my head from left to right, but no solution that to post it again :lol:

What about trying HKR,,MinResolution,,"800,600"? Seems logical (means it probably won't work, but worth a try.


Already done, but thanks for hinting it also. I thought about it even before posting the thread. But Google give too few results on the HKR,,MinResolution search (5 - FIVE!) in fact (now this thread could be soon the sixth one, lol), so it was doomed from the start. Regardless I use reged to find out where the MaxResolution from my file ended up in registers, find it, and created new key just bellow it, names MinResolution and with the 800,600 values, just as the MaxResolution values 1024,768 are above it.
Reboot and no change at all.

dayam.
And it looked just about right :P

And about the sense, well… I already tried to elaborate that question above, but… let me give it one more shoot. I just want to be able mod my computer and winblows the way I want them to be. That it is. What I don't know how to do, that I enter into Google. And if that fail, then I kindly ask others if they have a slightest idea, what to do.
And that is what I doing now :)

Next step - blind removal of some - hopefully Recycle Bin related - menus right in the shell32.dll :lol:

Czech is my native language, my English should not be that bad…I can well read in Polish…not to mention Slovak…and a little German…can recognize Spanish and Ital, but that it is.

That's it??? :blink:

As you can see, my language skills are limited.

Yeah, right!! <_<

Next step - blind removal

I strongly urge you to make regular backups of any and all critical data.
Digerati - yes, that it is.

I strongly urge you to make regular backups of any and all critical data.

Not to worry. I already did that. I have all my data on D drive, while C get formatted and reinstalled completely, when things go wrong and I'm sure they will :lol: :P

Ztruker - yes, thanks, this is interesting utility and it does work as expected. I just have to create two batch files, one with qres.exe /x:800 and another with qres.exe /x:1024 and that it is. It can change my desktop resolution kinda easily :) I would just love to hack the CPL rather, hehe. No added filed to my system and I would feel that I made the cursed windows submit to my will :blush:
This solution is interesting, tough.
But not satisfactioning, dayam! :lol:
I sympathize with you. I find it very hard to let go of something once I set my mind to it as well. If you ever do find a way, sure would appreciate an update here on how :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI