I wasn't sure where to post this, so I just put it in here. Move it to wherever it belongs =).I have been having a major computer problem, I'm not sure where to start with it so I'll try and explain as best as I can.My laptop has been extremely slow, not only when it's all started up, but the entire booting and shutdown processes. After logging in my computer takes probably 4 - 5 minutes to get to the point where I can actually begin to do things on it (open up folders etc). Even when I try and open up the folders it takes quite a long time. When I try and open an Office document it takes a long time to open the program and even then it doesn't open the document and I have to re-open the document for it to finally show. There is also a problem with my sound, I'm not sure if this is hardware related, but even when I plug in external speakers the sound still does not work. When I try to play a song in iTunes or even watch a video on YouTube the sound automatically slows down, so it'll half play the song, but 5 seconds of the song will take 13 seconds to play in reality. As I am typing this I am trying to open up iTunes to update my iPod but it's not opening. This has gotten really annoying and I can't listen to any of my music and it's a pain when I have to open up Word in a class to take notes because I miss half of them by the time my computer has started up.I have run ATF Cleaner, CCleaner, HijackThis (but I'm not sure what to do with all of that), AVG and two Spyware removal programs, but when I run them, they don't pick anything up. I have 1 GB of RAM ad my processor isn't too slow so I do not know what is going on with this. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi
Welcome to the WTT forum.
Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer.
Having the "slows" is a common problem, so here are two suggestions to get you started on the right track.
1 After having shut down your laptop in the normal way remove the battery, connect your machine to the mains supply via the power supply adapter and restart it, and see how you go.
2 Go here: http://pcpitstop.com/
and carry out a full test. You will be asked to register and accept an ActiveX control both of which are considered safe from this site .
If you need any help in implementing any of the recommendations, post back here with the "Tech Express" link and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but here is the report that I got after I ran the Full Test at PCpitstop
Test Results Summary
Computer Name: USER-825A6CDD42
Date Tested: Mon Dec 17 00:29:01 UTC+0800 2007
This system performs well on our benchmarks, and should have plenty of power for most applications. You may be able to add a few system upgrades or tweak some Windows settings to improve performance. Regular system maintenance is also important to keep your system running in top condition.
This is your customized advice based on PC Pitstop's tests. Click on an item at left to find out what it means and what to do. Customized Tune-up Tips
• Upgrade disk space (Drive D)
• Unusually low performance (Drive C, D)
• Sub Optimal Internet Performance
• Defragment files (Drive C)
• Update outdated device drivers
• Adjust IE browser cache size
• Saving Web Page Passwords with Firefox May Present a Security Risk
• Auto-filling Forms with Firefox May Present a Security Risk
• Check background programs
• Enable System Restore
• Install Backup Software
Configuration Summary: Our analysis was based on the data collected from this computer. A summary of the data collected is shown below. Click on any of the subsystem names or flags in the table below to see more information, or use the test details to see all the data on one page. For a list of programs running on your computer, including spyware, see the Windows details page. The test history page has a summary of previous tests for this configuration. See how your system compares to others we've tested.
Subsystem Status Description
System Intel Core Duo, 1730 MHz
Memory 1024MB RAM
Disk Drives C, D
Video Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family
Internet MSIE 6.0; SV1; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; MEGAUPLOAD 1.0; MEGAUPLOAD 2.0
Windows Windows XP Pro SP2
Security
Compare
I have done most of the things which it told me to do (updating drivers clearing etc), but my computer is still very slow, and my sound still won't work properly.
Would reformatting fix this problem? If so just drop my previous question and let me know as I was having trouble reformatting my computer as well.
Hi,
It was the "Tech Express" link that is needed. (this will show us the results of the actual tests performed)
Reformatting and reintalling Windows and all your applications will usually restore software performance to original condition but as it will delete all, repeat all your data, files, letters, documents, settings, emails, favourites, music ,photos, documents, Yes everything, it is generally considered a last resort.
It might be sensible to post back with the first "Tech Express" link and then do another full test and post that Tech Express link so we can see the changes that have been done
Regards
paws
Ok, I'm pretty sure that is what you were asking for, if not I'm at a loss =P.
Yeah I know that all my files etc will be deleted, I've already backed them all up on an external hard drive as I was trying to reformat before, so I thought I'd take this route to try and fix it.
Hi,
Yes, well done that was the link I was looking for.
You may have some "undesirable elements" present on your machine, These could be sapping your machines performance. You also have a number of configuration settings that are not contributing to the efficient running of your machine.
If you have made up your mind that you want to format and reinstall Windows and your applications then there is little point in attending to these now as the format and reinstall will attend to them!
If you are not intending to reformat then you would be wise to visit our malware removal forum, post an HJT log and ask the experts there to review it for you and recommend a plan to clean your machine of potentially undesirable elements.
If you do post a log remember the experts there are pretty busy so you may have to wait a while, but be assured they will get to your post as soon as they can.
It is important that you DO NOT post your HJT log here in this sub-forum, as we do not analyse them here.
Regards
Thanks so much for your help, paws.
Sorry to be a nag =P, but I have one last question regarding reformatting my computer. What should I do before reformatting besides backing up all my data? Should I scan the data again to make sure there is nothing bad on there as well? Would I have to back up my drivers as well? Or can I just update them all after the reinstall?
And if I have any problems reformatting should I post it in a new topic or in this one?
Once again, thanks a bunch!
Hi,
Yes you are right, back up all your data, and your drivers, don't forget emails, address book etc. Have your Windows product key and your application data cds and license keys handy, set aside a morning or more to do the work, start a log and write down everything you do….(easier then to backtrack if you go wrong) Keep a cheap digital camera handy so you take screen shots and cross ref the number against your log…….
A lot of folk think that no bad elements can hide in simple docs, but unfortunately they are wrong….. Treat all data as suspect until you have scanned it thoroughly with your updated Anti virus product and an on line scan as well, for belt and braces then repeat your scan in safe mode using your machines AV. (fully updated)
Please don't forget to have a good firewall running before you connect to the Internet!
Just insert your Win Installation CD and follow instructions, making sure that you delete all existing data ( you will be asked about this.
Good luck
Open a new topic if you have a problem.
Regards
paws
(Ok last question)
When backing up my drivers, where would I look to find them? I have drivers that are out of date so I am just going to download those and then put them onto an external Hard drive but I'm not sure what to do with the Drivers that are already up-to-date that are on my computer. And I'll open another topic after this one about the problems that I am having with reformatting.
Thanks for all your help.
Hi,
Have a look at the inbuilt windows File and Settings transfer wizard
Start>All programs>Accessories>System Tools> File and Transfer Settings Wizard.
To do things manually you could start by downloading the motherboard drivers (chipset ) from the manufacturer's website, and then the Video/Graphics and audio drivers and your modem (If applicable, a bit of extra insurance is to do a search for all .inf files and copy them to CD as this will include quite a lot of your drivers. (Include in your search all hidden and system files in C: and sub-folders)
Post back if you need any further help.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI