Hi
Hope someone at this helpful-looking site can help. I'm using an ACER laptop with XP, and apparently have done something to make it really annoyed.
I want to do a System Restore, but when I go to Control Panel:
1, Control Panel doesn't come up as it always used to with options at left, just shows all the thumbnails.
2. While other thumbnails open ok and "hold", when I try to open "System" all I get is a flash of the window for about a second before it disappears on me. Nothing I'm trying will get it to "hold" on screen so I can access its options.
I've done full scans for viruses and spyware and nothing is found on that front.
Cheers
To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)
Windows Protected System File Checker SFC
Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.