This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

regsvr32 msxml3.dll fault code 0x80004005

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

No access to Windows Updates – unable to register msxml3.dll – error 0x80004005– no DirectX function. Like others on various message boards on the internet I’ve been trying to solve the problem of [regsvr32 msmxl3.dll] that results in error message “dllregisterserver in msxml3.dll failed. Return code was 0x80004005.” This follows a lot of activity to clear a nasty malware/adware infection finally using Combofix.exe to clear the machine. Computer is now clear – no popups and AVG, SpyBot, and AdAware scans are clear. I cannot be sure if current problem is before infection, because of infection or because of repair. The first thing I found, and rectified, although may not be relevant, was that there were no databases registered. I used [odbcad32.exe] (windows\system32) and installed the three basic dbs 1. Microsoft dbase driver 2.Microsoft Excel driver and 3. Microsoft access driver. Much later on I found that a large number of registry permissions had become altered such that I could not access them and could not be change them using [regedit]. I downloaded a copy of [subinacl.exe] from Microsoft web site and found that to be most effective. I also downloaded was [Procmon.exe] from systems internals (also on Microsoft web site) to help the diagnostics. I was running procmon with a filter set to only pass when [Process Name] was [regsvr32.exe]. Clearing the report (Ctl+X) and enabling capture (Ctl+E) I tried [start][run][regsvr32 msmxl3.dll] On seeing the error message from regsvr32 I stopped the capture (Ctl+E again) and then did a search of the procmon report (Ctl+F) for ‘access denied’. This revealed the registry key that had the wrong permissions. I copied this into subinacl.exe and worked my way through all the blockages. Having cycled round and round for 35 minutes eventually the mxsml3.dll registered!!!! Various permissions in subinacl.exe were tried /setowner=administrators and /setprimarygroup=system and also /grant=administrators=f and /grant=builtin\users all of which seemed to free up the registry allowing the and the above procedure to run on to the next regkey that was blocked. To my disappointment I discovered that if I used another login on the computer the permissions on the registry were again blocking me and msmxl3.dll was unregistered. The second time I worked through and this time I recorded the key strokes to make a batch file – it has 192 lines! I have tried and tried to find out why the registry permissions are continuously resetting but can find no logical reason. There are a lot of people looking for a solution to this and I believe this is the nearest anyone as come to a solution – but the last set evades me!! I need to be able to release these Registry Keys permanently – does anyone have any ideas? IR
Hello IR and welcome to What the Tech!

Looks to me like you've done quite a bit of the sleuthing work already. I can imagine this issue is quite frustrating and you have probably reached or breached your maximum in patience attempting to resolve the issue.

Have you attempted using Dial-a-fix? If not, try that and also see the WU/WUAU section.

Regards,

Ax
Gentlemen, Sorry for the delay, you were right when you said about maximum patience! I had to ignore the computer for a couple days before I could revisit the problem. Anyway, thank you so much for directing me towards dial-a-fix, it certainly seems to have done the trick. The permissions seem to be the same now no matter who logs in. ‘regsvr32 msxml3.dll’ is successful on every login, DirectX works and WGA authenticates for everyone also. However I cannot really be sure exactly which bit fixed the problem and for those that might follow on behind me I am sorry for that. It was a combination of using the DAF tools and reading the logs to see where things were going wrong. From the front page of DAF I used the tick boxes in the Registration Center. The logs showed that msolap80.dll and msolui80.dll needed to be registered. But I got the same 0x80004005 error on both. I followed the method above to determine which Registry keys were blocked and used subinacl.exe to release them. I also found that vbscript.dll was the same. The usual technique did not release one of the keys blocking vbscript!. However running ‘Repair permissions’ on the DAF tools menu did help. I had to run round the above several times so what actually cured the problem – I cannot be sure. But its done now and I can return the computer my friend - Once again thanks Gentlemen all IanR
Hello Ian, Great to hear your issue is resolved. It appears the headache was not over, despite the suggested fixes. I'm glad you were able to use what you knew and the tools we recommended to get everything running and back on track. It's nice that you are thinking about future users, hopefully someone will benefit from the resolution to your little bit of misfortune in the future. Regards, Ax
ok, i created a new user on this forum just to post this (seems a good forum, anyway), the answer to this (REALLY annoying) problem is to use Dial-a-Fix to fix the permissions on the system files and then re-registering the files (msxml3.dll in my case) needed on your particular case, thanks a lot… i'll post on some other places so I encourage you to do the same
Thank you very much for posting this solution. This solution has eluded me for days, and using Dial-a-fix as detailed above worked perfectly. Thanks again.
Mrl4N & Ax238 thank you!!!! i have been looking for a solution for a while now and this worked.

I had multiple issues that were all related to msxml3.dll. I was unable to register the dll. kept getting dllregisterserver in msxml3.dll failed return code 0x80004005. Running Dial-a-fix Repair Permissions under tools menu let me register the dll again without failing this time.

 

SO THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Yaro, this is a very old topic.

 

Dial-a-fix was only useful for WIndows XP.  After that I don't even think it will allow you to use it.  Either way, the product is deprecated and should not be used as it is not safe to use.

 

For modern operating systems I recommend using the tool Windows Repair (All In One).  It has all the functionality of Dial-a-fix but works on modern operating systems.  Within the tool is the ability to reset registry or file permissions.

 

I would like to make a note that in my opinion you should not use this tool as a shotgun and run all the repairs just because.  But, it is useful for using specific repairs under specific circumstances.  One of those being registry and file permission problems on corrupted systems in addition to repairing Windows updates components.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI