This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Why have I lost access to my Control Panels?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I recently had a stubborn piece of malware that I downloaded several free programs to try to get rid of. Ultimately, HiJack This did the job. Unfortunately, that program, or one of the other programs, seems to have blocked my access to the Control Panels for my computer. When I try to do a search for Control Panels on my computer it comes up blank. It won't show up in my start up menu, or anywhere on my hard drive. When I try to change some setting that is governed by the Control Panels, I get a message that says I do not have access to that function. In addition to HiJack This, I downloaded the following: Spybot Search & Destroy Hitman Pro which combines a number of other programs I uninstalled Spybot and Hitman Pro, but have been unable to uninstall Hijack This. Uninstalling the other two did not restore my access to my Control Panels. Can anyone help me?
Try this…….

Download to your desktop "FixPolicies.exe", a self-extracting ZIP archive from HERE.

Double-click FixPolicies.exe.
Click the Install button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies.
Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd
A black box will briefly appear and then close.
Reboot the computer so the changes can take affect.

MrC
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI