Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Slow performance after spyware removal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 siddhartha

siddhartha

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

My PC was recently infected with spyware that caused constant popups. The issue has been resolved, but now my PC runs very slow. It takes longer to boot up and load all the startup programs and it takes much longer for websites to load. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

Hi Sid,

Please Download, and Run CodeStuff - Starters
http://www.snapfiles...et/starter.html

From the StartUps(tab) - Please "Save as HTML"
File - Save as HTML
Name the file: Starters111607.html

Attach the file as an "attached file" to your next Reply in this thread.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 siddhartha

siddhartha

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

Hi Doug. Thanks for your help. File is attached.

Attached Files

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

Well, that solves part of the slow loading mystery.
Wouldn't you agree?

You can disable all of the items in StartUp --- except McAfee items.

CTFmon.exe is disable via Control Panel - Regional and Language - Language(tab) - Details(button) - Language(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in the item "turn off advanced text services"

Reboot your machine and let us know how it's performing after the above changes.

How long have you been using the McAfee Suite?
How much physical RAM do you have installed on the machine?
How much FREE Space do you have on your C:\ Drive ?

Edited by Doug, 16 November 2007 - 02:05 PM.

#5 siddhartha

siddhartha

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't notice much of a difference. Im not sure exactly how to disable the items in start up. I right clicked on each item located in my task bar on the lower right side of the screen and disabled or closed each one, but they all returned when I rebooted. I did go into the control panel and checked "turn off advanced text services" as you suggested. 1.) McAfee was installed on my PC when I bought it about 4 or 5 years ago. It is a trial version so I fear that it isn't up to date because it asks me to pay for an upgrade each time I am prompted to update it, which I have been declining. For this reason I would be concerned to not use Avast or some other virus software. 2.) I have 512 MB of RAM 3.) I have 22.7 GB of free space on my C:\ drive

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

My, Oh my....

Windows XP "consumes" 386mb RAM just upon starting, leaving you with 128mb for other applications.
McAfee is a "huge" resource hog (consumes more RAM) and if it is out-of-date trial version, it is providing you with very little protection.

You have other high resource consuming applications running, notably Adobe, which we can get to later.

Many folks here run the FREE version of AVG AntiVirus plus a software Firewall like the FREE Zone Alarm, plus an AntiSpyware or two, like Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG AntiSpyware, and SuperAntiSpyware. (run AntiSpyware "without" real time protection for best use on this low resource (low RAM) machine.

I've run the above combination of Security utilities on dozens of machines in a wide variety of internet environments for 7 or 8 years with great satisfaction. Haven't been infected even once in that time-period.

All of the above Bolded items can be easily found via Google and downloaded to your machine.

Please consider:

Download AVG AntiVirus Free version (save it to hard drive but do not install yet)
Download Zone Alarm Free Version (save to hard drive but do not install yet)
Disconnect physically from the Internet.

Uninstall "all" of McAfee products via Control Panel - Add/Remove

Reboot after uninstalling "all" of McAfee.

Remain disconnected from the Internet

Install AVG AntiVirus

Re-connect
to the Internet
Immediately initiate installation of Zone Alarm

Run the PCPitstop Full Tests and post your Results (TechExpress) back here into this thread.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

#7 siddhartha

siddhartha

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

Hi Doug,

All recommendations have been completed.

Here is the TechExpress Link:

http://www.pcpitstop...7PHSW6ULGVSLCGV

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hi siddhartha, Nice work so far. Perform the Tune-Up Tips listed for your machine in the PCPitstop Full Tests Results. Also, after you reduce the Space Reserved for Restore points down to about 1024mb, and have completed the other Tune-Up Tip recommendations..... Reboot into SAFE mode, and perform Disk Defragmentation ___________ If performance is as desire at that point, you can certainly be done with this help thread, and start enjoying your machine. If performance still leaves much to be desired, then there are a few more steps to consider, including: Disable certain StartUp applications and updaters via MSCONFIG Turn off Disk Indexing Set machine for Best Performance (by turning off various "eye candy" features) Add More RAM Again, nice work on your accomplishments. Best Regards

#9 siddhartha

siddhartha

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hi Doug, My PC appears to be performing much better after all of the recommendations. Thanks so much for your help!

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

You are very welcome. I'm happy you've decided to be a Member here at WTT! Best Regards