This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

FAQ

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

1. What is What The Tech?
What The Tech is a venue to obtain answers from other people who offer their support and expertise on a completely volunteer basis. It's a fun place where you can meet others with similar interests, or just hang out and learn something new every day. It's all about sharing – what you know, and what you want to know. So go ahead, and post a question or reply. Meet someone new today.

2. Do I need to create an account to use What The Tech and what do I need to sign up?
If you want to create or reply to a topic, you will need to create an account. There is no charge for creating an account with What The Tech. Everything is free! You will need to supply a valid email address. We do not provide your personal information to third parties, and you will not get spam by providing your email address.

3. How do I ask a question?
It's real simple. See more details at this link: How to Create a New Topic
  • Search to see if your question has already been asked, and answered.
  • Register, if you haven't already.
  • Choose an appropriate category (forum).
  • Click the Start New Topic button.
  • Give your topic an informative title, and type your question in the big white box.
  • Click the Post New Topic button, or Preview to see what your topic will look like.
4. How will I know when my topic has a reply?
Every member automatically has email notification enabled. When your topic gets a reply, you'll automatically get an email at the address you used when registering. Additionally, you can check your subscribed topics by clicking on View Topic Subscriptions found within My Controls.

5. How is What The Tech different from other support forums?
We pride ourselves on offering a welcoming, family friendly site. If you see something inappropriate, or have ideas to improve the site, please contact us. We are also a teaching site, helping others to better help you. The Classroom is our malware removal school. More information can be found here.

6. Why is support only offered via the forums?
  • More efficient. Instead of waiting for a specific person to respond to a request, many people have the opportunity.
  • Better support. We all have different strengths. Presenting a problem to everyone allows the person best able, a chance to respond.
  • Help others. A question posted and answered in the forums allows others with the same issue a chance to read and resolve it.
  • It's free. We ONLY offer free help. We do NOT offer on-site, toll-free or remote assistance. We're often confused with other 'geeks'.
7. How do I become a staff member?
There are primarily two ways:
  • Provide consistent, quality replies. We are much more concerned with quality than quantity. If you consistently offer quality replies, you will be contacted by a moderator or admin.
  • Graduate from the Classroom. Due to the difficulty, and possibility of causing harm, only staff members are allowed to reply to topics in the malware forum. The Classroom is a training course that will provide you with the knowledge needed to answer malware topics. It's not easy, and will require a time commitment of a few weeks or months. More info here.
8. Where do I find What The Tech Terms of Use?
The terms of use for What The Tech can be found here.

9. I can't find an answer to my question in this FAQ. What can I do?
Reply to this topic, and we'll reply or add the question to this FAQ!
I'm sorry, but I just cannot find the thread where you post if your thread hasn't been responded to in over five days. Please remind me? Thank you.
I couldn't find an answer to this one so I have a quick question. I tried to message someone today and it came up with the following You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board Would I be correct in saying my permissions to use this feature are disabled? how can I get them enabled or isn't it allowed to be used by anyone? Cheers
cheers jpshortstuff If you can find out i'll be most grateful :) i'm in no rush so just when you have some spare time :) thanks
Hi Ishan Sharma, As a new member you are obliged to post around 10-15 posts prior to having the PM facility activated. This is just the rule of the forum and applies to all new members. kind regards, :wavey: