This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] blinking icon

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I managed to inherit some form of malware a couple of weeks ago, standard warning in sytem tray, tried some of the advertised software until I realized what was happening. Somewhere I've managed to get rid of part of the infection, as when I click on the icon now, all it does is open a Microsoft IE window. Doesn't go anywhere, just opens the window. For what it's worth, my normal browser is Firefox. I would like to be rid of this blinking icon and be more assured that I've removed all of the bug. icon is a shield shape changing from blue field with white '?' to a red foeld with an 'x' in it. Just looking for direction to do this. I've seen talk of "hijackthis" software but not sure what it is or what it's used for, so where do I start? Thank you.
Hello scrob,

Welcome to the forum, I need to see a HJT log before I can help you, very easy to do.

Download
Trendmicros Hijackthis
to your desktop, double click it to install, follow the promptsand by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe


This is important, do this before you post a HJT log
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe<– Right click on Hijackthis.exe ( looks like a man with a spyglass )and rename it to Scanner.exe

  • Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
  • Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
  • Go to Edit> Select All…..Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the
    Post Reply and not start a New Thread.
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI