Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Having trouble with my Linksys wireless router

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dargoroth

Dargoroth

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hey there :)

I've come here in hope for help and assistance with fixing a certain problem which has now become very annoying. I've been using my LINKSYS WAG54GS version 1.1 wireless router now, with BT broadband internet, for over a year now. Only recently, I've encountered a problem, and I just can't quite understand what's causing the problem, and how to get around to fixing it. I believe that my router has reset itself, as my wireless network was originally named MIGZENETWORK (none-secure network). I believe the reset was caused by a family member simply turning off the wall socket without disconnecting the router the 'correct' way. As since this occurred, my wireless network doesn't detect MIGZENETWORK, but instead detects 'linksys_SES_56545 Security-enabled network'

(I am certain this is my router, as it only appears when I turn my router on), although I fail to connect to the router as I have absolutely no idea what the password is :S Anyways, I believe this means that the router has simply reset. Another problem is that the red Internet light always remains red. I've attempted several times to Re-install the router with my Installation Disc, and annoyingly I get this message during the first Network Scan of the installation:

"Easy install has detected that you have more than one network adapter. Choose the adapter that you use to connect to the internet...etc"
And the list below it is empty!!" Here is a screen-shot to show what I mean:
Posted Image

I really aren't sure what to make of this? I've tried running it in different ways; direct line to a port in the router, using wireless network device, etc... But I still keep getting an empty list every attempt....*sigh* Also, I know that it is not in fact my LINKSYS speed booster device is not faulty as it detects my router, and other networks around me just fine, when I search for Networks through control panel...
Posted Image

Anyways....I hope you guys can help me out here :/ I'm stuck for ideas. Ask me some more questions if I haven't provided enough information... Basically...what should I do???

Edited by Ax238, 07 November 2007 - 12:56 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:16 AM

Hi Dargoroth,
I have just noticed your post has gone unanswered for a week......I usually keep my eyes peeled for unanswered post so....sorry! I think that I must have just kept missing it!

It may be that your problem has now been solved but if not here's some thoughts for you;

1 Switching off your router in this way should not create any particular problems and certainly should not have deleted your ssid "MIGZENETWORK."
2 If 'linksys_SES_56545 is being detected its either the ssid you want or that of a neighbour!
3 Your screen shot indicates that the 'linksys_SES_56545 is encrypted by WPA
4 You will need to ensure that the password for the WPA encryption is entered into every machine that you want to be able to connect to this ssid.
5 You must know the password for your router both the log in user name for browser access via http://192.168.1.1 (or similar, see the router hand book for details) and for encryption
6 Download a copy if the original hand book/manual has gone missing.
7 You can always set the router back to "factory" settings NOTE this will delete all info in your reouter and you will need to set it up again.
8 If you do this (step7) you can choose your own user name and password for entry to router via your browser, rather than leaving it on default settings
9 Once into your router settings you can choose the password for your WPA encryption.........but don't forget it otherwise you have to start all over again!
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Dargoroth

Dargoroth

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:51 AM

Hi Paws, thank-you for answering.

Since posting this message, I have already tried a lot of new stuff, but none were successful :D

Up to date:
- I reset the router properly, which changed my password to default 'admin', and I was able to access the router settings page.
- I started getting the message,'update your firmware', when trying to install the router after this. So, I went to the LINKSYS website, and downloaded the correct update of firmware, and an up to date installer.
- After updating the firmware, installation of the router got near to the end, but brought up this message:

Posted Image

I aren't quite sure what this message means. So correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that it cannot detect an internet connection going into my router?? (the Internet light is still the only light to show red. The DSL and the rest show as green, which is how they all should be.)

So.....any idea what the problem could be, Paws??
What would you do if it was you in the same situation as me??

(by the way, cute dog avatar ^_^)

Edited by Ax238, 12 November 2007 - 08:58 AM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

HI , 1 Do you have a copy of the user guide for this router/accesspoint? 2 Do you have a copy of the Adsl Gateway Quick installation guide? 3 Do you have a copy of the setup CD? If you have a copy of the CD I suggest that it might be easier to try this first. If you don't have a copy of the guides then i can point you in the right direction so you can download them. It would also be sensible to go into device manager on your machine and make sure that the network adapter is correctly installed with no yellow or red flags. When setting up the router, I always get it up and running for a moment before installing the encryption. Its then easy to apply the encryption once you are sure that its all working well. When using the wireless ADSl make sure that your software firewall is granting access to your network as this can often provide a barrier not only to the bad guys but also to you! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Dargoroth

Dargoroth

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:01 AM

Hi, 1) I have the user-guide. 2) I have the installation CD. 3) I have updated the Firmware. I know that my USB network adapter works, as I have been a very naughty boy, and connected to an un-protected wireless network for the last few weeks, but "shhhhh" :) When running the installation CD I originally recieved with the router, it begins to scan for Network Devices, and brings up an empty list. I've done as you suggested, and checked that the USB network adapter is correctly installed & upto date. I also tried running the installation CD by a direct line from the microfilter to the computer & a direct line from a port on the router; all these methods bring back the same results, "We have found more than one network device running on this computer. Please select the device you wish to use from the list below" (display an empty list.) As I've already pointed out, the upto date Installer I downloaded from the LINKSYS website brings up a message for me "Cannot detect a gateway", (as shown on a screenshot in a previous message.) :D This problem just becomes much more complex, and it's beginning to drive me insane. Why should it not work? BT Broadband support tell me that It's a problem with my LINKSYS router, and LINKSYS support tell me it's something wrong with my BT internet service, (as the router appears to be indicating with the 'Internet' light constantly showing red.) There's also the problem that I don't know the correct settings to put into the Router Configuration page, when accessing the control panel through 192.168.1.1. I do not know if I need to use POE or POA, bla bla jargon... (I have no idea what settings are required with my BT Broadband package.) This whole situation is annoying, frustrating, and I am out of ideas how to resolve this problem =/ I hope you guys can help...PLEASE help me, as I miss my internet :(:(:(

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hi Dargoroth, Sorry tio hear the woes continue, but at least you know your network adapter is working! The settings for the UK are (usually!) Protocol. PPPOA (this will sometimes appear as "PPP over ATM" its the same thing) 802.11b/g VCI. 38 VPI. 0 Authent .CHAP Mod . GDMT or Auto You will also need your ISP Primary and secondary DNS server (available from your ISP) Three tips for you: 1 Get it running ok by a network cable between your router and your computer with NO encryption (just for a second or two) and with your Software firewall OFF, when it all works then you can proceed to the wireless setup. 2 In Internet options (from control panel) you want "never dial a connection set" and in the LAN settings you want to obtain everything automatically 3 When connecting wirelessly you want to disable your "wired" connection (in Control Panel) Network connections as you want only one enabled at atime. Hope this helps post back if you have further problems but the likelyhood is now that somewhere you haven't followed one of the instructions in the set up guide or its a duff router....borrow one from a chum and set it up, or even dare I say it, as an absolute last resort get a Netgear DG834G available from Ebuyer for £34.77 +VAT and they come if you're lucky with a free USB wireless adapter. Regards paws

#7 Dargoroth

Dargoroth

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

I am able to connect to the router fine. The only problem seems to be that the Internet light doesn't change from Red >_< You think buying a new router will change that?

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi Dargoroth,

All the lights on the front of your router should be showing green if you have a red then either you have not set it up correctly or you have a duff router!
Go over the settings again, but before you do so make sure that you start with:

1 Both your router and your computer powered down
2 check your adsl line (phone line with an RJ11 on the end of it!) is inserted via a micro filter (splitter) to the correct port on the back of your router
3 Check you have a cat 5 patch cable (not a crossover cable) connected between a trusted port (one of 4) on the back of your router and the Ethernet port on the back of your computer
4 Connect the power cable to your router, and check that it powers up.
5 Now power up your computer
6 give it a few minutes to boot up and then
7 Disable your 2 way software firewall
8 Now open your browser and enter the router set up screen via http://192.168.1.1
9 leave the user name and password as they are for the moment (but alter to something suitable once you are up and running)
10 follow the set up instructions in the quick user guide NOTE
11 you will need the set up details from your ISP so make sure you have these all to hand.
12 Do not attempt to set up wireless or use any encryption neither WEP or WPA until you happy that your router works and you can connect to the Internet.
13 After you have set up your router log out of the router (after saving any settings) and then.
14 Reboot your computer.

You should get a connection to the Internet within a minute or so of your machine being fully booted up.

If you have no connection to the Internet then
go to'
15 Start>settings>Control Panel> Internet options>Connections
16 Make sure that you are set to "Never dial a connection"
17 now go to:
18 Start.Settings>Control Panel> Network connections
19 Find your LAN or High Speed Connection, ensure that Status is "Connected"
20 Any other connection eg wireless should be "disconnected"
21 It is OK (normally ) to have your 1394 connection "Connected" but it will do no harm to disable it, pro tem. Next do this:
21 Right click on the Icon at the extreme left side of your LAN or High Speed connection (the one you found in step 19 above)
22 Click on Properties
23 Under the General tab, ensure there is a tick in the last 2 boxes labeled "Show Icon..." and "Notify Me..." Next
24 Click on Internet Protocol --TCP/IP to highlight it and click on Properties
25 Ensure there is a spot in the "Obtain IP address..." and "Obtain DNS..." boxes....OK your way out
26 Reboot and let us know how you go.

If you still have no joy then its time to borrow another router and see how you go.
Regards
paws

#9 Dargoroth

Dargoroth

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

Yeah. I did as you recommended, and I bought a Netgear wireless router. Works like a charm ;) Thank you fro the help =)

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:29 AM

Hi Dargoroth, That's really good news, well done :thumbup: Isn't it a wonderful feeling when it all connects first time! Regards paws