This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

winlogon.exe infection! Help!

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Let's use a different appoach.

Go to this webpage > http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
Scroll down the page till you see the download link for Avira NTFS4DOS Personal

Download & install it.
After it has finished installing it will prompt you for an empty floppy disk.
Insert one & select the 'Format' button
Choose - Create an MS-Dos Startup Disk & click Start
After that is done, click 'Close' to return to the previous Window
Click the Next button twice till you get to the part where it says 'Create Floppy'
Configure the computer to boot from Floppy (let me if you dont know how to do this)

Boot the computer & you shall be presented with the following screens


[external image: Posted Image]

In the first screen, you will have to answer "1" < Press Enter >




[external image: Posted Image]

In the second screen, you will have to answer "Yes" < Press Enter >




[external image: Posted Image]

At the command prompt (A:\>), type the following

A> C:
C:> CD ERDNT\SUBS
C:\Windows\ERDNT\subs> BATCH ERDNT.CON
C:\Windows\ERDNT\subs> EXIT

Remove the floppy disk & reboot normally
OK. I finally made the boot disc (had to buy the floppies) and when I boot with it, I get the message: Label not found A:\> Before that it flashed something else up and I snapped a pic (see attached). Any ideas?

Attachments:

Locate this file from the floppy - config.sys
Open the file using Notepad.exe

Does it look exactly like this …

[menu]
menuitem=ntfsdos,NTFS4DOS
menuitem=dskchk,Check Disk Utility
menuitem=dfrgntfs,Defragment NTFS
menudefault=ntfsdos,20

[ntfsdos]

[dfrgntfs]

[dskchk]

[common]
files=100
LASTDRIVE=P
I don't have a config.sys file on the floppy boot disk. The files I do have on there with various extensions are: CHKDSK CHKDSKG CPYRDCC DFRGNTFS KEYB KEYBOARD KEYBRD2 KEYBRD3 KEYBRD4 LICENSE LNGINTL NTRF4DOS VTMODE I actually remade the disc per your instructions again incase there was an error when I originally made it yesterday (other programs were running), and the exact disc was produced. I even booted my work pc with it (the pc I used to create it) and it works fine! Now, I'm running XP Pro at work whilst I have XP Home at home (afflicted pc). Could this have something to do with it?
OK, I got home and and tried the disk I re-made again and it worked! However, when I get to the step where I type "CD ERDNT\SUBS" at the C drive prompt, it spits back "Invalid directory"…
Sorry about that. It should be as followed

A> C:
C:> CD WINDOWS\ERDNT\SUBS
C:\Windows\ERDNT\subs> BATCH ERDNT.CON
C:\Windows\ERDNT\subs> EXIT
How may partitions does this machine have? Windows does not appear to be installed on C:

Try typing D: to hop over to drive D:\

Run the DIR command again. See if you can locate the Windows directory

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI