This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Weird Virus (?) Interfering with MSN

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So, I don't notice any changes anywhere else other than my MSN. I am using the latest version of MSN. My operating system is Windows XP, but my version is kinda buggy and won't let me install the LiveUpdate (:(). Anyways, I think I contacted this virus when I unzipped a winrar file containing "pics". I don't notice anything, but my friends are saying I keep saying "LOOK AT MY FACEBOOK (Sends file most likely with virus). If you would like more info, please ask so! I'd be grateful if somebody helped me. ^-^ I haven't been on MSN in a while due to this problem…

Edit: I'm kinda inexperienced… But here is my HiJackThis log.

(November2nd): Edit: I installed AVG and ran it. It found 29 threats and successfully deleted them. Here is my *new* HJT log, just to check to see if there's any new problems.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:28:16 AM, on 11/2/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\snmp.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mqsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mqtgsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\pctspk.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.msn.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://as.starware.com/dp/search?product=s…p://my.msn.com/ (obfuscated)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5f90c0e3-4c0a-4d54-a8ac-5afe6163a99e} - C:\Program Files\Starware337\bin\Starware337.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Starware Recipe Toolbar - {1962c5bc-e475-465b-823b-133e711bceb9} - C:\Program Files\Starware337\bin\Starware337.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MsmqIntCert] regsvr32 /s mqrt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\WINNT\System32\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NBJ] "C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero BackItUp\NBJ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Run IMVU - {d9288080-1baa-4bc4-9cf8-a92d743db949} - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\IMVU\Run IMVU.lnk (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/f…tup1.0.0.15.cab
O16 - DPF: {CD995117-98E5-4169-9920-6C12D4C0B548} (HGPlugin9USA Class) - http://gamedownload.ijjimax.com/gamedownlo…GPlugin9USA.cab
O16 - DPF: {F5A7706B-B9C0-4C89-A715-7A0C6B05DD48} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineS…er.cab56986.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Print Spooler Service (euakeyemcy) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\System32\hyofb.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

My name is Simon V., and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. You are quite behind on your Windows Updates and Patches!
  • The first step in this process is to apply Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and we're both just wasting our time. Please download and install Service Pack 1a
  • Apply the update, reboot, then go to Windows Update and install all the Critical Updates (Note: Do NOT install Service Pack 2 because we have to clean your computer first!)
  • After installing all the patches and updates, reboot, then post a new HijackThis log.
Hey Simon. Before I begin the update of the service pack, I just have a few concerns. When I first installed Windows XP, and tried to run Windows Update (NOT SERVICE PACK, I just clicked Windows Update) it said I have a "fake version" of windows. Then Windows wouldn't let me log in. So I had to reinstall Windows. I didn't get any updates, and it worked "well" until now. Still think it's safe to get the service pack? (Note: The problem was probably the cd I got was pirated or something) Thanks for your help so far ^-^ Edit: I just tried installing service pack1. I got an error describing how I have an invalid windows key, and i should email administrator or something, if i think i have a pirated copy. Any ideas?
Hi,

I'm sorry, but I can't help you when your copy of Windows is not legitimate. It's no use to clean a computer when that computer can't receive updates; an unpatched system is a lot more vurnerable to infections and you'll get reinfected before you know it.

Your options, at this moment, are:

1. Obtain and install a valid copy of Windows XP: In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on Validate Windows. When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit. You could also ask for help at the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forums
2. Install a different OS, such as Linux.
3. Reformat and reinstall each time your system becomes unusable due to malware infestations.

If you choose to acquire a WGA Kit to validate your copy of Windows, I will be more than happy to help you. If you do not wish to do this, let me know and this topic will be locked.
Hey Simon. Thanks a bunch, it's too bad you can't help. Close this topic for now, and I'll notify you if i do get a new copy of windows. Thanks for your patience so far.
This topic is now closed. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a new topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI