Me too. Yes I have done all of the normal. I have two other computers functioning properly. I can ping my DNS server. You name it I have tried it. I am trying the various network troubleshooters to see if I can find something and I will try asking Microsoft soon. Keep me posted if you have any other ideas.
I ran the automated network diagnosis and it shows a failure for Default outlook express news. Says unable to connect to news.verizon.net port 119. My ISP is no longer verizon. It is now Comcast. This is seemingly meaningless? Who knows.
David
OK, I will post on the networking board. Can we keep this open until I get a resolution? Without the network being up we cannot be truly sure we are safe from "Save the Information:". Or Do I just need to keep posting a standby message to this log?
Thanks Again,
David
LDTate,
I just started a new job last week and have been overwhelmed with work. It looks like it will be after Thanksgiving before I can post on the network forum and have time to work the issue. Sorry for the delay.
David
LDTate,
I am back on the network with the PC! I will have to run it for a while to see how it is acting and if we have any other issues to resolve. I will try and look at it tomorrow evening.
Dave
PC ran overnight with no popups!!! I have not ran it enough to see about behavior. I did run ATF cleaner and HijackThis. Here is the log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:16:44 AM, on 12/6/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)
LDTate,
The system seems to be running well and is seems to be faster than it was. Does the HiJack log look clean. I do need to get some virus protection installed. I wil go to my service provider, Comcast. I believe they offer some available for download.
Another topic. One of my wife's friends sounds like she is infected with save the information also. She is not very computer literate. I will be posting for her and trying to assist her via the telephone since she lives in FL and we are in MA. Do you have the ability to select my new post and help me there also?
Thanks again,
Dave
Click HERE Click the Download Now and Save, Install, Update and run a full scan.
Good job
Click START then RUN
Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
[external image: Posted Image]
If shown the disclaimer, Select "2"
Here's my usual all clean post
Log looks good
You need to create a new Clean restore point.
Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points
Click Start Menu > Run > copy and paste
%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next. Name it (something you'll remember) and click Create, when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.
Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab. Check "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders." Check "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.
Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
Click once on the Security tab
Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
Click once on the Custom Level button.
Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week
(Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.
Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.
I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.
Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:
Understanding and Using Firewalls
Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.
This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site
until there are no more critical updates.
Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection.
You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.
A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer
settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly.
Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.
I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI