This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] HELP! Getting "Windows Security Alert"

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks for the suggestion, but No Go…I tried it and it still gives me the same message. Just to clarify, this is when I right-click my mouse on my destop, then click properties. I got the same message yesterday (as you can see in one of my replies), and was able to change it by going to "qpedit.msc" in the RUN command….but for some reason, it won't work today… Any other suggestions?
This is a windows issue, I think what I would do if you bought the computer from your last job is to get a hold of the person that runs the IT dept and ask them how to restore permissions for you computer. Since this is your computer whether they gave it to you or if you bought it they should have set it back to normal so you would not have these issues.

Another way to go is to post in one of these windows forums for help, this is as far as I can go as this forum is for removing malware only.

Windows Tech Support Forums
It's Not Always MalwareSpeedup Windows Windows Tips
Good luck,
Ken
Buck, I am looking into your issue, I need some more info please. 1. Is this XP Professional 2. Can you access the Control Panel at all. 3. If you can access the Control Panel can you access Add Remove Programs. 4. If you go to Start> Run and type in regedit and click enter .. Is access denied? I am asking this because this is mostly what admins disable so employees cant bork the system. I am trying to see to what extent your denied access on this computer. Let me know
Hi Ken… Thanks for looking into this for me…here's the answers to your questions: 1. Yes, I have XP Professional 2. For some reason, "Control Panel" doesn't show up when I click "Start" anymore…it was there yesterday 3. If I click "My Computer", and click "Add or remove programs" under "System Tasks", I get the same "Restrictions" error message. 4. I can get into the Registry Editor, but I don't know if it will let me change anything… The weird thing about this is that I didn't have this problem last week…it only happened after I started making the fixes. So I don't really think it has anything to do with the restrictions put on the machine from the IT guy from my last job. Hopefully it's not a big issue… Thanks again for helping out….
Buck you can try this also.

Download FixPolicies to your Desktop, a self-extracting ZIP archive

(Please ignore the warning about downloading .exe files, this file is safe)
  • Double-click FixPolicies.exe
  • Click the "Install" button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
  • The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies.
  • Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd.
  • A black box will briefly appear and then close.
Reboot and see how it is.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI