This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

New runtime error

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have been a member of AC Nielsens Homescan panel for 2 years. It consists of using a scanner on everything you purchase and once a week uploading/downloading the scanner to a server using either a serial or USB connectiona and a program called the Homescan Internet Transporter (HST.exe). Today for the first time, in all the time I have been doing this, I received a dialog box that said, "Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error", It further stated, "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way". I checked the Internet and the most common solution was the removal of the Google Toolbar from the affected computer. This was not the answer for me since I do not have this on my computer (no toolbars actually). I also searched your Windows forum, finding one instance that did not relate to my particular problem. When I called Homescan tech support, they advised me to uninstall and re-install the program. The same problem occured after the re-install. They asked about new security programs which I might have installed recently, but there were none. The only thing I have installed since my last scanner upload/download was a game from the Adventure Company called 'Sentinel" aka 'Dormuese". I am thinking of uninstalling the game, but I am more than half way through and I would hate to lose all that effort. Any thoughts, suggestions or solutions?
I would have to agree - uninstall the game - or use System Restore and roll your system back to before the game install. I guess it is a matter of priority - what's more important to you, a game, or Homescan?

Here's an interesting Aug 29, 2007 MSKB - MSKB 884538.
Thank you. Since I think I can finish my game shortly, I will do that and then remove it. I did find some instance of outdated MSVCRT.dll as referenced in the article and will try to update them. I will repost to this forum if the updates and uninstall does not cure this problem. Again, thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI