This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

.db files

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have on my desk top a .db file and I want to open it. I did some looking and found out that File maker 9.0 would open it. I have down loaded it from the website (free trial version) and I can not seem to open it. Anyone know what opens it or how to?
Hi Dangedcoyote, Both Microsoft - FileMaker Pro and Microsoft Access can open and read .db files. Do you have any version of MS Office? It is "possible" that an emulation of the Access utility in Open Office could do the same, but I'm not experienced with Open Office. Best Regards
no I did not watch that and I thank you. I will. I have all of office 2003 however I never could get it to open it so I figured it did not and I went for the pro of file maker and it told me it could not open the file. forgot why now so I came here thanks. does it help to say it is normally a hidden file? nope the video was no real help, but neat
the file may "need" to remain hidden, if it is associated with a portion of the operating system installation or an application installation. Maybe tell us a little more about where the file is located and what its full file name is. Best Regards
it is on the desk top. called Thumbs .db and its size is 12kb pretty much it I think it is not related to much of anything. I put photos on my desktop then sort and put them in new folders when done so i thought it might have something to do with that Well I have some good news. I was able to open it with MS picture manager and all that is there is thumbs of word docs on my desktop and thumbs of notepad etc. thanks for the help Doug.
Greetings.

Now with the name of the file in question now known, here is a answer to what it is and what it does.

This file is a cache of the thumbnail pictures in a directory. It speeds up the showing of thumbnails when you are viewing a folder in Thumbnail view.
(thumbnail view as opposed to tile, icon, list, or detail view).

Whether you see these files or not depends on how you have your File Options set. ( files hidden or not) Windows makes these files automatically.
There is no issue in deleting them, but they will come back. If you dont want to see them, re-hide your files.

[attachment removed: thumbdb.gif]

Its a feature and not a problem.




Regards

Kaz

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI