This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Company of Heroes Installation issues

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi again Tre Little,

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility description
Remove Windows Installer configuration information on failed installs
With the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information.

You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information
for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems.

For example, you may have to remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information if you have installation problems when you try to add (or remove) a component of your program that was not included when you first installed your program.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is"
to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised.


From the instructions at MS Installer Cleanup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Choosing 'Remove' will make the permanent changes.

The list contains the titles of all the installed programs that are registered with Windows Installer. Because the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility installation also uses Windows Installer, the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility should be included in the list. Select the programs that you wish to remove. (To select multiple items in the list, hold down the SHIFT key or the CTRL key as you select the items.)

The four buttons in the dialog box are as follows:

[Select All] - Selects all the programs in the list.

[Clear All] - Clears the selection of all the programs in the list.

[Remove] - Removes the Windows Installer installation information for
the selected program or programs.

[Exit] - Exits the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility.

If you click 'Remove,' the following prompt is displayed:

Warning - All items selected will be removed from the Windows Installer
database. In order for the items to work properly, you must individually
re-install all items selected. Select OK to continue removing product,
Cancel to abort.

If you click 'OK,' all the Windows Installer information that is associated with the selected programs is removed. This includes the entries for the programs in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. If you remove the installation information for an installed program, the program is prevented from being able to add or remove components or to repair itself. NOTE: If you remove the installation information, files or shortcuts for the programs themselves are not removed. You should reinstall the programs before you try to use them.


If you have completed the above, your best next course of action is to attempt to reinstall the software into the same location where it was originally installed.

Do that now (reinstall) before Deleting any CoH files or folders.
(note: the above instruction is "different" from my previous instruction) (attempt the reinstall before attempting to delete)

Once Reinstalled, if the software performs as desired, then continue and have fun.
If the software does not run as desired, then attempt to Uninstall it via Control Panel - Add/Remove, or by using the softwares own uninstall utility found in its own folder.

Post back with your progress.

You are venturing into a difficult situation, possibly caused by faulty install of CoH or possibly caused by poorly written installation protocol of CoH.

I am not aware of a "certain" course of action which is supported and tried by previous users.
The course of action that I have recommended is as "safe" as I know how to recommend.
However, even MS adds a Caution that the procedure may have unanticipated consequences to the target software and possibly other installed software.
I always "wish" that I can find a previous "success story" course of action to recommend.
In this case I have not been able to find one.

Best Regards
Its still not working. When I try to install. "An error occured while installing the windows installer package C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\0e849fb1f9ed4433bc0f98bbe48f3df8\00000001_TEMP. The package may be corrupt, or an error may have occured during installation. That temp file was found and deleted, but it still is not working. I'm going to try installing the 1st COH and then the 2nd to try it.
OK. that makes sense intuitively. Consider running your System File Checker first, to verify that no Operating System files have gone missing or become corrupted. Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <–notice the required space between the "c" and "/" If SFC detects missing or corrupt OS files, it will call for your XP installation CD in order to copy the original file. Best Regards
When I tried installing/uninstalling the origional COH (which shouldn't be there in the first place), i got the same error message I've been getting, but i also got a interesting error message after that. Remember the FAKEMSI files i couldn't delete earlier? well heres the entire error message (separated by 2 error windows). [attempted uninstall] The feature you are trying to us is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package '00000004_TEMP' in the box below. Use source: C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\82485e1ebc6945b4ba4620854ad827b8\ [Next to that was browse, but i dont know what to look for][clicked ok] The path C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\82485e1ebc6945b4ba4620854ad827b8\00000004_TEMP cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package '00000004_TEMP' in a folder from which you can install the product Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI. phew. now, There was an error detected, but this gets better and better. Turns out the XP installation CD didn't come with the computer. We have the installation CD's from the previous model computer we had. A few years ago my parents switched parts with one computer and put them in another. The installation CD didn't come with it. The old model was W2785 and the new one (looking at the front of the computer itself) is T3302. I'm looking for a way to burn the copies of the installation disc from the website (fat chance)…or if possible, ill use the other CD's (restore discs) as replacement in hopes that the files were the same. The operating system is: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
Lol im gonna make this issue get resolved one way or another for the sake of us COH gamers. It'll be 7-10 business days before I get back to check the progress of this problem cause im in the process of getting the discs to do the dll thingy, so ill see this resolved one way or another.
Hi Tre Little,

You're about due for some good news, I'd say.

Fortunately, there is some.
With regard to the SFC procedure, you can probably use the XP CD that you presently have as long as it is the same (Home or Pro) as that which is installed on the machine. Or you can even borrow an XP CD for use in SFC.

Go have a read here for instruction about how to get the necessary information (from folder /i386) that you can install on your C:\ drive.

Instructions for how to use the registry to point SFC to /i386 folder for the procedure is well laid out here:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Best Regards
Well I have returned home for the weekend and the recovery disc that was ordered is now here. I'll send the results as soon as I get a chance to get on the computer and get started
hi i had the same problem for months and i figured it out just now so figured i'd post my info search for 00000004_TEMP in the registry, and delete all instances of it. i found it under these two keys {C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1} 49B108ABD82CEE648B601E0E123A5D91 ive run registry cleaners etc too so they may have helped but im betting it was those two entries
hi i installed company of heroes on my pc i completed it and uninstalled it but now ive got the expansion pack but it wont let me install because aperrantley i have a version already installed i have deleted the fakemsi's and ive deleted loads of registry files along with it but hasnt worked :pullhair:
I also know this is an Ancient thread, but I got the same problem as Devinas, but unfortunately for me, after running the Windows Installer Cleanup program, I did not find a single instance of the Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI. I did find it in my add and remove programs though. If you guys could help me out here, I would really like to uninstall this pesky problem which is causing me a TON of trouble. AND I REALLY WANNA PLAY COMPANY OF HEROES AGAIN!!! GAH!!!! Thanks alot, hope you can help me out here
Actually… after using the Windows Uninstaller program thing… I was able to remove everything having to do with company of heroes's FAKEMSI, and now it WORKS!!! HA HA HA!!!! COMPANY OF HEROES I LOVE YOU!!! AND DOUG I LOVE YOU!!!!!! not gay though… just like good friends love you… yeah…. ok im done now. Thanks for all the help guys, I am REALLY HAPPY!!!!
hello, im having another problem with this game with the patches, im trying to download patch v1.40-2.101 and i have it downlaoded but when i try to install it it comes up with the select a program to run it with, the other previous patches jsut went into some auto-CoH installer but thsi main one doesn't. Do you know what program i need to select?

hi i had the same problem for months and i figured it out just now so figured i'd post my info

search for 00000004_TEMP in the registry, and delete all instances of it. i found it under these two keys

{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}

49B108ABD82CEE648B601E0E123A5D91

ive run registry cleaners etc too so they may have helped but im betting it was those two entries


This was the most important post that I found on here. Windows Clean Up was not removing the FAKEMSI as it was supposed to, so I had to look manually. I ended up finding about 12 entries which were all listed as Company of Heroes FAKEMSI. This did the trick.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI