Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Company of Heroes Installation issues

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 devinias

devinias

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

I recently installed CoH the game. While updating it today, my daughter unplugged the computer when I rebooted all the files for the program were gone, except when I went to install the program again it says a "newer" version is already installed yet there are no folders, registry files, no anything except Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI showing up....HELP!!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hi devinias.

Do you have an application item named: Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI in your Control Panel - Add/Remove ?

Are there other items in your control panel with names related to Company of Heroes or FAKEMSI?

What are their named listings?

Have you posted elsewhere about this same problem or under a different username.
I ask because if there is a similar thread, we might learn from it.

Welcome To WTT Forums.

Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 devinias

devinias

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:59 PM

Yes it has Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI about eight times and it will not allow me to remove them. No other FAKEMSI(s) are seen

#4 devinias

devinias

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

Thank you for being willing to help

#5 devinias

devinias

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:23 PM

Hello?

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

Hi again devinias,

I won't always be able to get right back to you.
Sometimes because of other obligations.
Sometimes because I am researching a solution for your problem.

Please download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

*** Just look at the list.......... DO Not Select an Items yet. ***

Does Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI appear in the list.

*not the Company of Heroes item
** must also include the FAKEMSI

Please post back with results of your investigation.
Remember, Don't Select to remove anything yet!

Best Regards

#7 devinias

devinias

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

it occurs 14 times the same phrase. Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI [2.0.0.0]

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

OK. That's a good thing. Do you know where the actual files are located? Search for them, please. *** but don't do anything with them as yet. Tell us where they are located.... as an actual address like C:\Program Files\Common\Coh\FAKEMSI <-- not real, just an example Best Regards

#9 devinias

devinias

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:16 PM

I got nothing on my search...

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:29 PM

Open Windows Explorer/My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View(tab) in the list of settings, be sure that: "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is checkmark/ticked "Hide protected operating system files" is "un"-checkmark/ticked Search again if those settings were not as indicated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

Hello devinias, You may already have solved your situation. If not, here's a couple comments and recommendations. Some updates for applications (like abobe reader) and games (seems like CoH may apply), are actually full versions of the program with additional updates embedded. Some of these (adobe) simply install a second full instance of the files. Some of these (apparently CoH) have an automated uninstaller attached to the update installation. This may be the reason that the files are gone, with only FAKEMSI (an installer application like MS MSI) as the only thing left. It could be that the power was interrupted after the old version was uninstalled but before the new version files were registered. This often causes a wide range of application and operating system problems. Apparently your case is less severe, with only compromise to the actual game application. Have you noticed any other machine function problems since this incident? _________- Options, (in order of invasiveness) 1. You might be able to use System Restore to roll back to a point just before the power interruption, when the CoH was still installed in its original version. If so, you could resume your Updating at that point. 2. You may need to use Windows Installation CleanUp Utility to remove multiple instances of FAKEMSI and all related CoH installation routine files before you can continue with your update installation. (be sure, when you use Windows Installation CleanUp Utility that you only select to remove items related to CoH and leave everything else in place.) After completing the above, you'll need to manually search and delete all Files and Folders related to CoH. (for the time being, please leave your Registry untouched. Windows Installation CleanUp Utility "should" take care of any necessary Registry Entries) 3. If you are having new problems with other applications and or System related problems, you may be in worse shape, requiring an effort to BACKUP to CD/DVD any valued documents, email, addresses, favorites, media and images. Then you may be faced with attempting a Repair Installation of your operating system, or failing that, a format and fresh installation of the operating system. *** if you find need to engage option #3. remember that you will have to reinstall "all" of the critical updates and pathes for your Windows operating system, and probably any application specific updates as well. Please keep us posted with your progress and/or solution. Best Regards

#12 Tre Little

Tre Little

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

I am currently having this same problem with company of heroes as well and I do not know what to do. I have located the temporary files involving company of heroes. These files come up here C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp several COH emblems appear here with a code next to them. Also, the error code that comes up during installation also comes up here, but it has a folder emblem instead of the COH emblem. I have installed the windows installation cleanup utility as well. I do not know what to do from here. Please provide assistance.

#13 Tre Little

Tre Little

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

Also, I didn't know what you meant by the "actual files" several posts ago, but if this is what you meant C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes Then that is where my Company of heroes files are located.

#14 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

Hi Tre Little

If you have exhausted the less invasive alternatives as posted above, then you may benefit from using the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool.
Read about it and download here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Be certain that you only select installed items related to CoH.

Running the MS Installer Cleanup Tool should remove all of the files created during installation, related to the installation, but not the files and folders themselves.

After running the MS Installer Cleanup Tool, Delete the files related to CoH.
For instance, you found files here: C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes

At that point, you should be good-to-go for a fresh installation of your game.

You may find additional and specific information on the CoH Website, which you should consult before taking the steps described above.

Best Regards

#15 Tre Little

Tre Little

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the assistance. But when I run the Microsoft installer cleanup utility, the FAKEMSI files that appear on the list will not leave the list once I run the utility. Is it safe to delete the files located in program files then to start a installation? Also, what of the COH files located in the temp files folder?