Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Refurbished Computers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adkron

adkron

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi, This maybe an absurd question butTigerDirect.com is offering great prices on refurbished Gateway Dual Core computers. Is buying a refurbished computer a good idea or is it very risky? Thanks, zdkron

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 kazzoo

kazzoo

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

Greetings Adkron One of things you dont know is "why" these are refurbished units. So with that in mind, here are a few things to keep in mind should you decide to buy. 1. Does it have in it those things I want? Os and hardware? 2. What are my options if I get it and it doesnt work? Return to Tiger? Send to Gateway direct? Go to a authorized service center? 3. How long will the warranty last? 90 days? a year? 4. How long will you be wanting to keep it? Would you need a extended plan if availible? If you can say yes it has what I want, and I can deal with the fix or return policy and the assorted hassle that may be involved, it could be a great deal. Another resource is to do some on line research on the specific model and see what kind of things others have had with that computer. Trust that gives you some direction on your possible new computer (or new to you as it were) Regards Kaz
Badgers? I dont need no stinking Badgers!

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

To add to Kazzoo's already useful discussion...

I've found it to be much more important to have warranty and extended warranty/insurance for purchases of Laptop computers vs. Desktops.

This relates to the relative difficulty of getting parts for, and finding a competent tech for performing service upon laptops compared to Desktops.

Keep in mind too, that the deals at TigerDirect "sometimes" involve a mail-in rebate.
They are counting on you to "not" send for the rebate.
____

Feature limitations can be "misleading", for instance.
this weekend blowout sale:

Gateway MT6704 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2060 1.60GHz, 802.11g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, Dual Layer DVD RW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows Vista Home Premium

That 1GB RAM is 2x512mb sticks
The OS is Vista Home Premium.
While 1GB is sufficient to run Vista Home Basic and even Premium for general browsing and office applications, you will likely find that it does not run as briskly as the same machine running XP Home or Pro with 1GB RAM.

To run games, media editing, and multi-tasking, you may find that you need 2x1GB RAM to perform as well as a similar machine running XP home or Pro.

There are only two slots for RAM on that machine. So when you later find that you need new RAM, figure the expense as "replacement", since you will have to take a stick out to put a new stick in, as compared to "adding" to what you've already purchased.

Gateway Laptops will probably no longer be made by Gateway, since they've sold a portion of their manufacturing to MPC who also recently bought Acer laptops and are emphasizing manufacturing and service in China as part of Lenova.
That move, may be involved in a sudden value availability of Gateway Laptops, and possibly predict some conditions on service and parts availability.
I realize that I'm being "skeptical" in this last comment, but it's good to be informed of the downside as well as the good price.

Other manufacturer's also feature returned and refurbished units available form their own Websites, which may have different options available for service and warranty.

Best of luck
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.