This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hard Disk Dilemma.

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hmmm… I'm not sure how to start this one.

I have a hard disk, in fact several, that failed at the hardware level. All of them are still under warranty, however, there is data on them we do not want recovered under any circumstances like accounting data, credit card info, etc. The problem is how do we completely wipe the data on the drive if we can't access the drives. Someone has suggested exposure to heavy duty degaussing coil. Much larger than one used for a TV. Someone else suggested a magnesium flare. Doesn't that void the warranty? :lol:

Seriously, if we can get these drives replaced we can build a very nice dedicated server since the drives range in size from 80-250gb. It's amazing what you collect over time from repairing the computers belonging just to family and friends.



From my Art History class lectures: So what is art? It is something that not only appeals to the eye but to the heart. While in college I attended a gallery showing with my class. The subject was a very dark treatment of my favorite faerie tales, Snow White, Cinderella, others. I hated it. Perusing the gallery with my professor and the artist while complaining he stopped me before a painting of Alice in Wonderland (one of my all time favorites) as she stood over the body of the White Rabbit holding a smoking pistol. I burst out laughing and although I'm a pacifist, that rabbit got what he deserved. The artist gave me the painting and it now hangs prominently in our home. Art is more than what is in the eye of the beholder, it is what is in the heart as well.
Hello,

Here's a humorous article about one resolution:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-…11-1032342.html

What can you do to it that won't void the warranty? I'm guessing it will take the fun out of a firing range, sledge hammer, or blowtorch approach.

I would suggest getting a handful of rare earth magnets and rolling them all over the hard drives. Just be careful not to pinch your fingers with them. You can search for them on google or ebay, pretty cheap.

Regards,

Ax
Hi Nenene,

This is a most interesting question, that will probably elicit many conflicting points of view!

Presumably the manufacturers will want to satisfy themselves that the terms of their warranty have been fulfilled and the hard disc has been used solely for "normal purposes" before they admit a warranty claim and replace/repair etc.

If you use some of the more "severe" tactics to make the data unreadable….I.E. methods that involve loud noises, extremes of heat, chemicals, percussion, and the like, the manufacturers may not be inclined to look sympathetically upon your claim! :wacko:

It would seem that you are therefore likely to be confined to using "softer" methods such as magnetic forces perhaps, to try to permanently destroy data beyond any chance of its restoration. I am not aware of any evidence that supports the view that these "softer methods" are 100% effective in all cases, and that the chances of any data being able to be recovered at any time can be guaranteed to be reduced to Zero.

You say:

"I have a hard disk, in fact several, that failed at the hardware level."

and also

"there is data on them we do not want recovered under any circumstances"



I think therefore that it may be a case of relying upon the manufacturer's generosity of spirit, good nature and willingness to go "above and beyond the call of duty" to assist you.
or alternatively…
bring on the loud noises….etc
Regards
paws
Using a drive for target practice and physically destroying the drive is one thing yet it seems to be overkill (sic). I'm fairly sure that some powerful rare earth magnets would do the job but I want to be absolutely sure.

Presumably the manufacturers will want to satisfy themselves that the terms of their warranty have been fulfilled and the hard disc has been used solely for "normal purposes" before they admit a warranty claim and replace/repair etc.


As for your comment, just what are "normal purposes"? *giggles*

Let me see…

Accounting/writing, that's normal. Painting and drawing, that's normal. What about gaming, I play X-plane to keep my flying skills up, that's all too normal. Rule-34? *Laughter*. there is no such thing as a not normal use for a hard disk. Anything other than what is against the law is a violation of the American constitutional amendment on free speech.

Does anyone else have an idea?

[external image: Posted Image]
if you do anything to the drives, it may void the warranty. you should contact the hd manufacturer to see what they suggest about returning the drives and that your concerned about the data on them. you might try slaving the drives to another computer to see if they show up. shelf life
Hi Nenene,

"As for your comment, just what are "normal purposes"? *giggles"


I was thinking more along the lines (for "non normal" purposes)

1Target for a .357 Magnum
2 Point of focus for a oxy-acetylene torch or thermic lance
3 Housing for the detonator of a small amount of Semtex, TNT or other stuff likely to make a loud noise.

However perhaps I am taking too pessimistic a view of the disc manufacturer's philanthrophy!
Regards
paws

Hi Nenene,

"As for your comment, just what are "normal purposes"? *giggles"


I was thinking more along the lines (for "non normal" purposes)

1Target for a .357 Magnum
2 Point of focus for a oxy-acetylene torch or thermic lance
3 Housing for the detonator of a small amount of Semtex, TNT or other stuff likely to make a loud noise.


However perhaps I am taking too pessimistic a view of the disc manufacturer's philanthrophy!
Regards
paws


Yes, well…

  • First of all I am pacifist and don't believe violence is the answer to anything. Besides, Rhun would use a 45 saying a .357 is too small. (He made sure I knew about guns even though I don't like them. This is for my own safety and a good idea.)
  • Oxy-acetylene, we have one of those and I use it for creating art pieces. Rhun also has an arc welder; will that do?
  • "Housing for the… " I won't finish it. It has done nothing to you so why should you do something to it. Besides war and explosives aren't good for children and other living things,


[external image: Posted Image]



  • You spelled philanthropy wrong.
  • Perhaps you should see a therapist; we do, together.
  • This could turn out to be an interesting place.
    I might even be able to have some fun here.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI