Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Streaming And Pdf Problems.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FullFool

FullFool

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

For awhile I haven't been able to stream videos using Quicktime or view pdf files on my laptop. When trying to stream I get this message; "Quicktime was not found. Error #1293644. /n/nPlease install Quicktime on this computer." Opening pdf files freeze my browser for about 5-10 minutes. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quicktime, but no luck.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

Could be caused by a variety of problems, but you were correct to try reinstall of QuickTime.

I use the equally robust, but smaller footprint application called QuickTime Alternative which can be downloaded separately or in combination with K-Lite Mega Codec Plus package (which also contains Real-Alternative as a sub for RealPlayer)
I use Foxit, which is a full service .pdf reader with a much smaller footprint than Adobe Reader.

How's the machine functioning in general?
Let's get a good overview of the machine's configuration and present functioning.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take about 2-3 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Edit: I see you also have an active Malware Removal thread working at this time, with Rip Chain.
We should not be making any System related changes or installing/uninstalling applications until you are finished in Malware Removal, and Rip Chain gives you an "all clear".

In that thread you mention: I've also considered the possibility that my laptop doesn't have enough memory to handle it (a little under 400 MB)

Are you referring to physical RAM installed? <-- that should be enough for general office and browsing type activity, but may lag if you are a gamer or doing media editing work.

Are you referring to remaining Free Space on your Hard Drive? If so.... Yikes!
Machines need a minimum of 25% Free Space on the Hard Drive to run adequately, and closer to 50% to run very well.

Edited by Doug, 20 September 2007 - 02:18 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 FullFool

FullFool

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hey Doug, thanks for the reply.

Generally the machine has been able to handle what I work with everyday. It can run Photoshop CS2 and Firefox with no problems and it manages to play Ragnarok online(a mmorpg) with very few problems. The browser does begin to slow down after remaining idle for awhile or opening more than two tabs, but I'll assume that's normal.

Quicktime was working fine a few months ago since I remember watching a few videos on "Gametrailers" without that error message appearing, so perhaps it was my carelessness when clicking on certain URLs.

Hopefully I'm not getting any terms wrong, but I meant Physical Memory.. my C drive is quite low(8 Gigs out of 72) but that's can easily be fixed once I send my files over to my external hard-drive.

Machines need a minimum of 25% Free Space on the Hard Drive to run adequately, and closer to 50% to run very well.

That I didn't know, I've been chopping it under 50% frequently.

Here is the URL to my system scan results...

http://www.pcpitstop...7T9HWASS6VS8C8V

I'm curious about my internet being a minor problem..

And just to note, I use IE to do anything you guys ask for, then close it to post here on Firefox.

Edit: Oh and sorry about altering my system, I'll be sure not to do anything else until Rip Chain gives the O.K.

Edited by FullFool, 20 September 2007 - 07:16 PM.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hi FullFool,

The browser does begin to slow down after remaining idle for awhile or opening more than two tabs, but I'll assume that's normal.

That "may" be normal for your machine, but I'd say probably not.
Windows XP does a pretty good job of releasing resources, and shouldn't accumulate slowness with time.
You will probably be favorably rewarded when you make the adjustments as recommended in your Pit Test.
Give us a shout after you've finished up with Rip Chain, and made followed the Pit Test recommendation.
We'll have another look if you post a fresh Pit Test TechExpress at that time.
Then we may be able to provide some additional recommendations to further enhance performance.

By way of comparison:
Here's my machine, with is an older low resource machine, and truly lame as compared to yours.
http://www.pcpitstop...APJHW4NGFVSTG8V
But right now as I'm typing, I have 12 instances of Firefox open, some with multiple tabs too.
I have 5 documents in Winword open , two Notepads, and one Foxit PDF,
Yahoo IM is open and in action, and two instances of Windows Explorer.

Now that may seem like an absurd amount of open windows, but I'm presently working at several Forums, preparing documents here for work locally, and keeping in touch with my family.
The machine is handling it fine.

What makes the difference?
Well, aside from my Pit Test recommending to Defrag, I've pared down the startups, and have more % of Free Space.
Having an AGP video card takes the borrowed load off my RAM so that I have the full 512, that you could have too, by just picking up an old AGP for $20 or $30.
You will probably improve your Internet download by correcting your TCP Receive Window Size. Download should be much faster than your upload.
Otherwise there are some System Configuration settings that you may want to consider for performance.
I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging. This is really a lame old machine with nothing much to shout about.
But it serves well.
Yours can probably pick up the pace quite nicely with a few adjustments.

I hope you check back in when you finish up at Malware Removal.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.