This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

After Reformatting

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Using win xp pro sp2 Background, I had serious problems with PC as could not boot even through safe mode or repair etc. I eventually had to reformatt twice to get a stable version and then 24 hours later it became unstable again. With the help of `paws` in a previous post I maged to get PC working good again and has been stable for 48 hours now so think all is ok. One thing I have noticed (its not a problem) though is my hardrive has 15.7 GB used, now before all of the reformatting I normally used about 12/13 GB, now after formatting I would have expected this to drop to around 8 GB as in previous re formats. I have checked in add/delete programmes and that seems normal, I have switched off system restore and rebooted and swiched on again but the used GB is still much higher than normal. Anyone got any thoughts on this? As stated not a real issue but if there is unwanted rubbish in there I would rather get it out. thanks And thanks again to paws for previous help.
Hi Scudo, Glad to hear your system is still stable The old fashioned way of checking on your disc space is to use "My Computer" go to your C drive and if you hover your mouse over each folder it should tell you the size. This may sound an innocent question, but you haven't tried to install 2 copies of Windows on the same partition have you?? Its surprising how many folks do this by mistake…… If you copy and paste the contents of your boot.ini file here in a reply (if you are at all unsure) it may shed a bit of light on things Regards paws
Hi Paws,

I dont think I have but then not sure, I couldnt copy/paste so took a screen capture. Scudo

[external image: Posted Image]
Hi Scudo, Yes it looks as though you may have 2 versions of windows installed. How's your machine running at the moment? Any delays or unusual activity at boot up? Regards paws
Hi Paws, nothing noticeable at boot up and the PC is running noticeably faster than before all my troubles began. The system appears to be stable, thats about 3 days now.. Is there a way to take out the second version of windows or best to leave alone. I am using approx 16gb of a 60 gb hardrive. Scudo
Hi Scudo, If your machine is stable then I think it might be best to leave well alone….you have plenty of disc space available and a stable smoothly running machine is a very desirable piece of kit Regards paws
Ok Paws thanks for the time and advice. I will leave alone as everything is still ok and within the next year will probably need to upgrade to windows Vista and also my graphics is not the best ( I do a lot of photoshop work) so if it hangs together for the next year I will be a happy bunny. I really appreciate your time and efforts. thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI