Software
Ms Updates
8 min read
dangedcoyote
Topic Starter
I have no idea what to do or how but I have recieved many updates from MS and I will do a custom install to pick and choose what I feel is good for me and when I install them a vast majority of them fail. Any idea as to why. I have a list of updates I know I am missing and they might be some what important but….Im blank as to what to do or if I should even worry.
tallin
I have no idea what to do or how but I have recieved many updates from MS and I will do a custom install to pick and choose what I feel is good for me and when I install them a vast majority of them fail. Any idea as to why. I have a list of updates I know I am missing and they might be some what important but….Im blank as to what to do or if I should even worry.
Hi 'dangedcoyote'
I think if you browse the following site and try one of the posts that typifies your problem you will have success getting your Windows Updates to work again.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.htm…66&start=60
dangedcoyote
Tallin I thank you for your response. I have looked there and done what I could. To be honest I cant even figure out how to post something there but I did get an account.
I need help here in a bad way, I think. I have access to an oit outfit through my school and they think what I need to do is go back to factory settings.
Let me go into this a little deeper. I use office 2003 and I can not access the LDAP that is a global addressbook for the college. OIT there has done all that they can to get it to work and has been at it for two days now. There seems to be an MPS.dll file missing or something. Not sure if I am right there. However they tried also to download many MS updates and all they can get is the active x to install that is it. All downloads fail.
After many hours of frustration they felt like they needed me to bring them my tower and get this back to factory settings. I cn live with that BUT what I cant live with is loosing all the info and downloads and photos and music etc..
ANy idea on how to help?
I have done a Dr.web thing not long ago and I know it moved some things. and I do not know if that might or might not be a part of the problem
sorry for not knowing where to start but I have to try here before I loose everything.
Jacee
It sounds like you may have an infection. Download HijackThis! from here:
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe
Double click HijackThis_sfx.exe and select Unzip. When done click "OK".
Close the WinZip self Extractor window. You can now delete HijackThis_sfx.exe.
Navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click HijackThis.exe. Click "Do a system scan and save a logfile".
Start a new topic in our HJT forms
http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html
Copy and paste the HJT log from notepad in that new topic
Please be patient as we have a lot of people with malware infections.
DO NOT post your HJT log in this
thread
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe
Double click HijackThis_sfx.exe and select Unzip. When done click "OK".
Close the WinZip self Extractor window. You can now delete HijackThis_sfx.exe.
Navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click HijackThis.exe. Click "Do a system scan and save a logfile".
Start a new topic in our HJT forms
http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html
Copy and paste the HJT log from notepad in that new topic
Please be patient as we have a lot of people with malware infections.
DO NOT post your HJT log in this
thread
dangedcoyote
Thank you. I have done as you told me to and hope something can be resolved.
dangedcoyote
I am getting something new that has never been before. when I close a window it is taking a good bit longer than normal for it to close. if I have several open I can close them as always one at a time and by the time I get to the last window (say it is my home page) it will be there as normal I close it and the window goes white, then a 30 to 45 second laps and it closes. AND at the bottom of the screen where it tells you what window is open/ what you are running; well that stays there even longer AFTER the window is completely closed and gone. However it does go away but it takes even longer ( by seconds 5-10 or so)
I also still can not get ms downloads to work all fail every time. dont know what to do next
here is link to all that I have done with scotty
tallin
I also still can not get ms downloads to work all fail every time. dont know what to do next
here is link to all that I have done with scotty
Hi 'dangedcoyote',
Sorry to hear you are still having an issue with MS Updates, have you read the thread underneath your last post here
Please also post the link from your work with Scotty.
kind regards,
dangedcoyote
tallin
Okay thanks for the link. I did find it and read all about your work with Scotty -
Others will need to step in here if none of the threads in my last post help you. It will take you sometime to read and perhaps identify your problem from all information in those C/Net thread/s. While you wait for a much more learned techie here at WTT I suggest trying to identify your problem from the following thread
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.htm…2600053#2600053
Really sorry you are having such a torrid time with you MS Updates, but in the end I am sure one of the better experienced techies will get you out of trouble here.
Best regards,
kazzoo
Greetings all,
Hurts my head just to try and look at all of those logs and errors. I just had to ask a thing or two that seems obvious to me.
1. Where did this computer come from?
Was it ever or still connected to a network in a business/domain?
Reason I am asking is that it seems it is trying to reach out to a WSUS server for its updates. (Windows Server Update Services )
These services are usually found in a Enterprise type of network to facilitate downloading of patches and updates from a central source to many many computers.
Updates are downloaded usually to a dedicated computer/server first then pushed out to others in the Network.
This allows control of what gets put on clients by a Administrator of a network. Keeps computers from breaking applications and databases from a conflicting piece of code.
2. Do you have the appropriate rights to down load updates?
Sometimes another feature called access control lists (ACL) are put on computers to keep software from being downloaded by just anybody. You need to be the Administrator of the local machine and very possible a Administrator on the network it is connected to have rights to software/patch downloads.
3. Did it ever update and when did it?
Since you had it? Did you move it?
4. What sort of fixes might be necessary
Well right off the bat perhaps getting the machine to point to where its suppose to get its updates. Depending on what the answers are about the first two questions.
Might need to reset the windows update source.
Then perhaps chase after getting the ACLs removed or modified.
5. Do you have the skill or access to someone who could do the above?
Before I would even take a swing at it, and only only only after you got your data off and safe, and you had restore media availible. Would be a first for me.
Better yet is to get a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Enginer) type opinion on this.
In conclusion the computer cant get to a WSUS and rights issue are good canidates for your failure to get updates.
Regards
Kaz.
Hurts my head just to try and look at all of those logs and errors. I just had to ask a thing or two that seems obvious to me.
1. Where did this computer come from?
Was it ever or still connected to a network in a business/domain?
Reason I am asking is that it seems it is trying to reach out to a WSUS server for its updates. (Windows Server Update Services )
These services are usually found in a Enterprise type of network to facilitate downloading of patches and updates from a central source to many many computers.
Updates are downloaded usually to a dedicated computer/server first then pushed out to others in the Network.
This allows control of what gets put on clients by a Administrator of a network. Keeps computers from breaking applications and databases from a conflicting piece of code.
2. Do you have the appropriate rights to down load updates?
Sometimes another feature called access control lists (ACL) are put on computers to keep software from being downloaded by just anybody. You need to be the Administrator of the local machine and very possible a Administrator on the network it is connected to have rights to software/patch downloads.
3. Did it ever update and when did it?
Since you had it? Did you move it?
4. What sort of fixes might be necessary
Well right off the bat perhaps getting the machine to point to where its suppose to get its updates. Depending on what the answers are about the first two questions.
Might need to reset the windows update source.
Then perhaps chase after getting the ACLs removed or modified.
5. Do you have the skill or access to someone who could do the above?
Before I would even take a swing at it, and only only only after you got your data off and safe, and you had restore media availible. Would be a first for me.
Better yet is to get a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Enginer) type opinion on this.
In conclusion the computer cant get to a WSUS and rights issue are good canidates for your failure to get updates.
Regards
Kaz.
dangedcoyote
1. Where did this computer come from?
It came from comp usa. I purchased it some time back and it has been mine and all mine since then. It has never been in a business or on a network. However, it is at this time plugged into a linksys wireless-g 2.4 GHz that has a 26 bit code on it to get into it. I keep it hard wired for my computers. I also use comcast to get my internet connection.
2. Do you have the appropriate rights to down load updates?
If I dont I am kicking someones a&% , I am the only one about 98% of the time on this machine however anything is possible.
3. Did it ever update and when did it? Since you had it? Did you move it?
Yes it did. all the while I have had it up untill perhaps 3 -6 months ago. some would come through and others would fail every single time. ALSO MIGHT BE IMPORTANT, when some failed more than sy 3 times I just hid those updates never to see them again. Yes I have moved it from one home to another and one room to another. Absolute care was taken and things always seemed to work fine. Now it has been in one spot for a good while and problems come.
4. What sort of fixes might be necessary
I have not got a clue, I have had OIT work on this and Scotty, Tallin has mentioned things etc. . .
5. Do you have the skill or access to someone who could do the above?
Yes you guys are the ones I trust for most of these things. OIT has said that they were willing to take my computer and get it back to "Factory settings" if I wanted and I told them that I wanted to get with " Tom Coyote" first to see what they could do before I went without my computer for 5 to 10 days ( business)
kazzoo
Hmmm, Thought I had a line on that one.
Ok, I in the meantime came across another post to a simular situation as yours out on the net by some microsoft professionals. I will post the link.
But I do have to say there are some registry editing that might be necessary and if not done correctly could leave your machine unbootable.
But being faced with a factory reload by your Tech source it might be worth the risk to get your current installation downloading updates as it should.
These should not affect data.
Unable to install office updates-DigitalPort.co.uk forums.
One persons fix was to do the steps suggested by the MVP, (David and Maurice posts)
Another was Aries and Maurice posts. Look at both and try those fixes.
Regards
Kaz.
Ok, I in the meantime came across another post to a simular situation as yours out on the net by some microsoft professionals. I will post the link.
But I do have to say there are some registry editing that might be necessary and if not done correctly could leave your machine unbootable.
But being faced with a factory reload by your Tech source it might be worth the risk to get your current installation downloading updates as it should.
These should not affect data.
Unable to install office updates-DigitalPort.co.uk forums.
One persons fix was to do the steps suggested by the MVP, (David and Maurice posts)
Another was Aries and Maurice posts. Look at both and try those fixes.
Regards
Kaz.
dangedcoyote
I am still nowhere with this. Anyone with new ideas?
tuxmaster
Is it only the office updates that are failing?
Could you upload your Windows update log the location of the file is in the code box below.
Could you upload your Windows update log the location of the file is in the code box below.
C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log
LDTate
I don't mean to hijack this topic, but if you have a windows up that fails, you can contact MS for free to help.
BTW, I use office 2003 and the updates always fail on my pc as well. I don't worry too much about it.
Good example here:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/08/26/w…d-update-error/
You'll need your Office 2003 CD to repair / re-install Office.
BTW, I use office 2003 and the updates always fail on my pc as well. I don't worry too much about it.
Good example here:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/08/26/w…d-update-error/
You'll need your Office 2003 CD to repair / re-install Office.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI