Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Sound Card Getting Code 12

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 1337forum user

1337forum user

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

Well so far ive used this site and got good results both times so i'm wondering if it can help again...I turned my computer on this morning and bam, no sound..checked around and found this in device manager 'This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.' I'm wondering why all of a sudden it does this :scratch: so untill I find a fix, or hear of a working fix I have no sound :[ Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 kazzoo

kazzoo

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

Greetings Forum user

Sorry to hear about your sound card problem. Perhaps I can get you started and give you some insight to your issue.

What is code 12?

1. Two devices have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two).

In more human terms two guys are trying to sit down in the same chair at the sametime. Each are saying its my chair, one gets to sit down and the other complains there isnt enough chairs. Its a matter of who gets to the chair first.

Why did this happen now?

Something you may have had a hand in, or something windows is doing, or something the bios is doing.

Did you remove some device? Did you change a setting? Did you add a device? Did you update a driver? Did you delete a driver? Mess with the plug and play os setting in bios? Changed the yes to no or the no to yes?

What is the solution?

1. Identify which devices are conflicting.

2. Reassign resources so there is no more conflict. Either manually (advanced) or using the troubleshooter routine (recomended)

How do I find what devices are conflicting?

To use the device manager to check the status of hardware, follow these steps:

1. Select the type of device from the list of devices.

2, Select your installed device under the type of device. If the device is not working properly, there will be a yellow circle with an exclamation point in the center of it. Proceed with these instructions to find out which device(s) are conflicting with the selected device.

3. Either double-click the selected device, or click the Properties button towards the bottom of the window. This will bring up a Device Properties window. The Device Properties window will tell you if the device is working properly. This window also allows you to enable or disable the selected device from all hardware profiles.

4. Click the Resources tab to determine if there are any conflicts with the device. If the device was flagged with a yellow circle with an exclamation point, check in the "Conflicting device list:" box to find out which devices are in conflict with the selected device.

This should get you at least to the point to find out what devices are involved.

5. Go ahead and use the troubleshooting routine windows offers to solve the conflict.

Warning......Warning.....Warning.......ONLY FOR ADVANCED USERS......Make no changes unless you understand the effects.....But a good read anyway.

The Resources tab tells which IRQ the installed device is using. If another device is using the same IRQ, there could be a conflict with the selected device. This could be one reason that the device is not working; in this case, you need to reinstall it with a different IRQ. You can also change the IRQ of the selected device. Only advanced users should attempt to change IRQ settings. If the device is Plug and Play (PnP), it should not be affected by changing the IRQ. If the device is not PnP, changing the IRQ may cause it to stop working. Use the instructions above for checking all IRQs in use on your computer, and find an IRQ that is not in use. To change the IRQ, select the Resources tab and uncheck the checkbox for Use Automatic Settings. In the "Resource settings:" box, double-click Interrupt Request to bring up a new window with the option of changing the selected IRQ.

I hope this gets you on your way to a fix to this problem. Once you get the devices identified then you can work on the fix.

Regards

Kaz.
Badgers? I dont need no stinking Badgers!