This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue Please Wait After System Restore

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I do system restore, after it reboots, a blue screen will pop up with the Windows XP logo in the corner that says "Please wait", and then the screen will start filling up with dots. It usually ends up looking like this: "Please wait………………………………………………." until it goes on for three or four rows before it finishes. The restore goes through, but I'm wondering if that screen is normal. It didn't always do that, after all, but it's not really harmful, just a nuisance. Thanks for helping with my curiosity.
Hi. Interesting question……….when you finished cleaning up your machine (assuming its the same machine) following its infections back in June did you follow Susan's advice and flush your old System Restore points (by turning system restore off, rebooting and then back on again to delete any malware that may have been saved to a restore point? Regards paws
I'm using a different laptop than the one in the previous question. I received a refurbished Compaq a few months ago and reinstalled XP so it was from scratch. For the first month everything was great, but since when I do system restore I get the "Please Wait" screen. I use AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware, plus ZoneAlarm for a firewall. Do you think I should reset my restore points?
Hi xcacophony, No I definitely would NOT clear out all your old restore points at this stage. If your machine is performing well, not crashing, and your anti virus antispyware and 2 way software firewall are not showing up any problematical areas, then I would be inclined to do the following: Do a disc clean up, a defrag followed by a reboot and another defrag. Run sfc….go to start >run> type in…………… SFC /scannow……(note the space) if sfc finds damaged protected system files it will replace them and if it can't find good clean copies on your hardrive it will ask you to insert your Windows Installation disc, so have it handy…scan takes about 20 mins or so and just performs the fix ,no output log file is created. Go to panda or trend micro Housecall (or both) and perform an on line virus scan. if you come back clear then rejoice and consider getting yourself some disc imaging software** and taking an image so that if disaster strikes in the future you can be up and running again quickly and simply. ** (Ghost, Acronis, Drive image, Paragon etc) Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI