This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Disk Partition

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Is there a windows built in utility that would partition a disk? If so where is it in the system–XP ? I ask this because I just got a new dell box with xp installed on 240GB C drive. I tried norton partitonmagic to partition into C&D to safeguard data in case of a reformat. But I got a message that due to 2 hidden partitions all are immovable and I must use OPERATION instead of the Wizard. But I cannot find the operation–in partitionmagic. All help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Is one of your existing partitions an operating system backup System Recovery partition?
If so, be careful to not change anything about it.

Do you have Installation CD's from Dell, to reinstall your operating system?

It would be far better if you had those Dell CD's since they would be backup assurance that if anything went wrong during your partitioning, you could restore your machine to Factory Original via Installation CD's.
Otherwise your only backup is the pre-installed System Recovery partition. Workable, but CD's are more certain.

After answering the above questions to your own satisfaction, here is the Microsoft step-by-step method for using your onboard Disk Management to create and manage partitions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Best Regards
Thank you very much, Doug; Yes, Dell"s own Recovery partition; I do have the dell cd. The only time I would reformat and fresh install if the system was so infected that it would be necessary to reinstall. In such an event system recovery is useless anyway. I will now go to MS. site you so kindly provided. Hope to learn a lot from it. EDIT: Just been to ms site. Disk managment tool does not partition an existing partition. It creats new partitions only out of unallocated space only. Thanks for trying to help.
I agree with you comments and cautions about using Recovery Console and the Dell System Recovery installation CD.
No problem there.
___________

Unfortunately, I also agree with you that MS Disk Management does not allow you to create a new Partition or logical Drive, unless there is "Free Space" on an Extended partition.

Sorry.

—Did not read this portion carefully enough

To create a new logical drive in an extended partition, right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click New Logical Drive.
2. In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
3. Click the type of partition that you want to create (either Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive), and then click Next.
4. Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
5. Decide whether to manually assign a drive letter, let the system automatically enumerate the drive, or do not assign a drive letter to the new partition or logical drive, and then click Next.
6. Specify the formatting options you want to use by using one of the following procedures:
• If you do not want to format the partition, click Do not format this partition, and then click Next.

Lo and Behold———-Managed to create new partition using partitionmagic. It would not partition drive C: but did Resize it to 20 GB which left 210 GB of unallocated space. Converting that to a new active partition was a breeze. How some software works!!!!!!!!!! I believe this topic can now be safely locked. Thanks for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI