Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91913 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox-login

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wesi

wesi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

Since I was kindly helped to get rid of an infection (HJT Forum) I have been unable to log in using latest Firefox. The problem is only with this site since the name change, I can log in on all other sites I visit. When I click Login it takes me to another page with my name and password and I click again but it takes me back to the forum front page. Till yesterday it used to take me to a page saying you are now logged in as wesi and then take me to the front page but Not logged in. Does all this mean I have another virus? EDIT: I have typed above using IE7.

Edited by wesi, 31 August 2007 - 07:44 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 bizarrebob

bizarrebob

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Computers. Video games.

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Hi Wesi :wavey: This is most probably to do with cookies. Select Tools | Clear Private Data... from the menu. Make sure Browsing History, Saved Form and Search History, Cache, Cookies, Saved Passwords and Authenticated Sessions are checked. Click Clear Private Data Now. Close Mozilla Firefox. Now open Mozilla Firefox and try again :) Good luck, Bizzy

::: My Spec :::

Windows 7
Intel Core Duo @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ RAM @ 1066mhz
ATI 4870 512mb

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online

#3 wesi

wesi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thank you. Tried everything you asked. No luck. Logged in now with IE7.

#4 bizarrebob

bizarrebob

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Computers. Video games.

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

I actually get the same problem myself sometimes. May be worth running Lavasoft's Adaware, deleting cookies, then restarting PC. I do what you do and just use a new browser. I use Opera, i personally find it the best.

::: My Spec :::

Windows 7
Intel Core Duo @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ RAM @ 1066mhz
ATI 4870 512mb

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online

#5 wesi

wesi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

Problem solved. For some reason firefox was loading in safe mode (Yes there is safe mode in firefox), undid that and in normal mode there is no problem logging in to the site. Thank you for the help.

#6 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

For some reason firefox was loading in safe mode (Yes there is safe mode in firefox)

If you would be so kind, would you please reply with additional information about "safe mode" in FireFox?

I have not noticed such a setting.
Maybe it is labeled something other than SAFE Mode?

I just scanned through my FireFox options and didn't see a safe mode.

I am running FireFox version 2.0.0.6 with no add-ons. (Just the basic download)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#7 wesi

wesi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Wish I could help you. I have not stopped scratching my head. How did I find it was in safe mode? I clicked Start and there it was in the list of progys I use and after the name Firefox it said in Brackets Safe Mode. Windows did it. When I could not find How to put it back in normal mode I deleted it and the folders and registry entries. Then I installed it again and the problem of logging in went away. I also had and have the 2.0.0.6 version. I rememberd that when I had downloaded just the update to make it 2.0.0.6 it had problems copying 2 files of update. Eventually it said that it had problems with McAfee Site Advisor and a part of the latest Java. It switched off Site Advisor and do not know what id did with Java but it installed and I was able to use it. Then suddenly I had the problem mentioned above and discovered the Safe Mode.Did Windows make a mistake? Doubt it. If you discover what Safe Mode in Firefox is could you please post it on the forum so that all firefox users know.

Edited by wesi, 03 September 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#8 Carolyn

Carolyn

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

You can load firefox in safe mode with a switch: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -safe-mode I have a shortcut which was installed with the program in the "All Programs" menu under Mozilla Firefox. A similar switch is available for use with Thunderbird. I've never used either but I believe it loads the programs without add-ons. You could check out the knowledge base at the mozilla website for more info.
Member of ASAP and UNITE

#9 NonSuch

NonSuch

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 298 posts
  • MVP

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

Firefox (Safe Mode) will usually be listed in "All Programs," directly below the Firefox entry. Firefox (Safe Mode) should not be confused with Windows Safe Mode. More information can be found here...

http://kb.mozillazin..._Mode_(Firefox)
The Importance of Updating Your System

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006 - 2015