First off, I hope I'm in the right spot to post this, sorry if I'm not…I'm a newbie. Second, thank you all for being here and answering questions! Now for my dilemma
In an effort to delete Vundo from my machine I went to the registry to delete the infected file (I couldn't do it from the System folder). Long story short I deleted the System32 folder and now my PC (A Dell Dimension 8200) will start but it has no icons or anything, just my wallpaper. I have all of the software and such to re install but I want to use XP Professional (given by my university and better than the current XP Home).
I have decided this is the time to get my stuff together and do some long needed upgrades. Herein lies my problem, I cannot lose the data currently on my hard drive, it's family pictures that can't be replaced (I know I should have backed it up…lesson learned).
I am going to purchase a new hard drive for my PC, will there be any problems because my PC is a Dell? I've read horror stories but because it is a new drive with no operating system I'm thinking it should be OK. I think I have to purchase a Parallel ATA because my computer is old, would it make a difference if I got SATA?
As for the hard drive I deleted the system folder from (80GB), I was thinking I would purchase a kit to make it an external drive, hook it up and remove the data to the new hard drive and use the 80GB hard drive for storage and backup..I've been told this is not the best way to do this (I also have an additional 250GB secondary hard drive in this computer).
Is there an easier way to do this? I have tried to reinstall windows home but that is on the Dell restore disc and it will reformat the whole drive and I will lose my data, I tried using an XP Home disc that I borrowed since I have my own registration # but I never got that far as it won't work (sorry don't remember the error messages at the moment) and I've tried using the XP Prof disc as a straight install to put an operating system on the drive but it doesn't work. Before I deleted the system file I had tried to partition with XP Prof. but it wouldn't work because of some protection Dell has put on their PC's is that what is preventing me from just installing XP Prof?
Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Jenna
Sorry to hear of the troubles you are experiencing with your machine. These are so numerous that I will deal only with one thing at a time.
However I think its best to start a logical plan of campaign and I suggest that the first thing you do, rather than go for either a quick or even a perfect fix is to protect your data, all your important files, get them copied off your ailing hard drive and once you have secured them it will give you a breathing space to continue with the next steps.
1 Use either a parallel operating system, or slave your hard drive to another computer and get your data off.
As an alternative to slaving the drive, the use of an extenal USB case is a good move and with your old hard drive inside it you stand a good chance of copying off your data. The external case with a hard drive inside is a very useful piece of kit and is highly recommended. It will prove invaluable for the backups/images, that I'm sure you will perform in the future!
I will not advise on the next steps until your data has been secured, so post back here in this thread when you have done this or if you need extra information on how to perform the above tasks.
Please note you should take all the usual personal safety and antstatic precautions before opening your machine and if you are at all unsure of them, it would be best to seek the services of your local competent Computer Technician. It is good to learn and to save money but not at the risk of personal safety or damaging your data or your computer.
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
Thanks for the response. I just purchased a 320GB IDE ATA Western Digital hard drive last night and am planning on installing it in the next few days (I have to install XP, my wirless and Firefox ~ so it may take a day or two).
While I'm doing that should I try to upadate my USB hubs? Mine are older USB 1 and I'm finding I need more than I have but everything is USB 2. Is there a cable I can purchase to convert my USB 1 to USB 2? I thought I'd read about Y connectors that required 2 free USB1 ports that could plug into an external USB2 hub? I ask because I am having difficulty finding an external enclosure that is backwards compatible with USB1 to transfer data from the drive I am removing.
Thanks!
Jenna
I am having difficulty finding an external enclosure that is backwards compatible with USB1
There should be no problem here, if you buy an external USB enclosure it will be backwards compatible with USB1
In explanation, all new USB external enclosures are USB 2 but will work just fine in any USB 1 socket although with a slower transfer rate.
To put some more USB 2 sockets on your machine (providing you have a free PCI slot available) fit a PCI card that will come with 4 or more USB2 sockets included ( some also have a firewire port as well. )Th PCI cards are inexpensive to buy and hopefully will do the job for you. You will need to open your machine to fit this so take all the usual personal safety and antistatic precautions.
Good luck
Regards
paws
OK it took me a while to get to it but I just installed the 320GB hard drive and powered up…I'm still getting the Dell Bios data at power up, the Bios shows the hard drive is recognized for the full 320GB, but when I put a disc in to install Windows XP Prof. it doesn't do anything but flip me to a screen where I have to chose F1 to try reboot or F2 to enter Bios. Where do I go from here? I didn't expect that I would still be getting Dell data with a completely new hard drive. I was hoping to get rid of the Dell stuff completely. What can I do to get my computer to recognize the disc in the drive? Is there a bios setting I'm missing?
Thanks,
Jenna
Hi Jenna,
Firstly, have you got all your data and important stuff, safely copied, as I recommended in post 2??
If not then do this as a matter of urgency and post back here confirming that all important data settings, drivers are safely copied.
When replying please advise if you are intending to use your new hard drive as:
1 Boot drive (for installing your operating system and applications/programmes)
2 External USB drive (for data only) by means of an external case.
3 Internal drive (for data only)
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
The original 80GB hard drive is stored in an external case. I can access the files through my laptop but my laptop drive (30GB) is nowhere near large enough to hold my PC hard drive. For now I have to leave it as I do not have another computer in which to put the data until I replace the hard drive in my PC.
I installed the new 320GB drive as the primary boot drive, once it is working I plan on leaving it as the primary hard drive in this PC .
I also have a 250GB drive that I may install at a later date for use as backup once I get this problem worked out. I will not put the 80GB drive back into the PC as it is older and should be replaced, I now have an external case and plan on using the 80GB drive as a backup for the PC.
Thanks,
Jenna
Hi Jenna,
A few things that you need to check first please.
1 When you installed the hard drive did you set the jumper to "Master"…..?
2 Have you entered the BIOS and set the Boot order (found usually under "advanced settings" to CD ROM as Number 1
Hard drive 0 as number 2 and floppy drive as Number 3 (if fitted)
3 Any reference to booting from a network or USB should be set to disable.
When you have set the Bios as above and checked all the fitting instructions supplied by Western Digital and with jumper set to Master it should be a question of inserting your Windows XP installation disc and following onscreen directions,
Here's a link to the complete procedure from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348
I recommend that you format your disc as NTFS and have your operating system and applications/programmes on C and with data on a separate partition D.
Hi Paws,
I have set my drive Master and used the jumpers in the way that the manual said. The question is my BIOS, it doesn't look normal. The top of the screens says,
Dell - Dimension 8200 Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 2. GHz Level 2 Cache: 512 KB Integrated, BIOS Version A05
I cannot switch my Drives at all to any number designation. If I hit enter I get a popup that allows me to choose Auto or Off. I tried to enter the designations you mentioned above but it won't stay. If I hit ESC to leave the screen my changes are not kept. I have only 2 options when I start my PCF2 for Set up and F12 for Boot Menu, I have tried both, Setup gets me to the screen I described above and Boot Menu gives me choices
1 Normal
2 Diskette Drive
3Hard Disk Drive C
4 IDE CDROM
I've tried all 4 choices and restarted but when I make the selection all choices give me this
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. I'm stuck in this loop and I can't get out. I've tried doing F8 hoping to get something else but nothing.
I am getting a hum that my disc drive is running but eventually it stops and I get the Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.
Thanks,
Jenna
Hi, Try this
Restart your computer and hit F2 to enter the BIOS (set up)
You should then see a list that looks similar (but not exactly like the following) Option
Function
System Time
Displays the system time.
System Date
Displays the system date.
Diskette Drive A:
Displays floppy drive details.
Primary Drive 0:
Displays primary hard drive 0. The default is Auto.
Primary Drive 1:
Displays primary hard drive 1 (if installed). The default is Off.
Secondary Drive 0:
Displays secondary hard drive 0. The default is Auto.
Secondary Drive 1:
Displays secondary hard drive device type. The default is Off.
Boot Sequence
Displays boot sequence when is pressed.
There will be lots of other entries but the one we want is the last one in the above list called "Boot Sequence"
Highlight Boot sequence and press the Enter key
use the up and down arrows on your keyboard and the space bar+ - to change the order.
You need to be able to boot from the CD so make sure this is set first
Last you will now need to save the settings and exit.
Now try putting in your Windows XP installation disc and restarting your machine it should boot from the Windows XP installation disc…follow on screen directions.
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
I set everything up as you recommended, however, I think there may be another problem. First I tried the disc from my school but it said my CPU couldn't handle a system64 operating system *shrug* so I tried the other XP disc and it wouldn't read at all. When I put the Windows disc in it came to the setup screen but it made a bunch of scraping noises, set up was not able to complete (or really start) because it couldn't find Shell32.dll, I tried another disc, this time I switched to a burned backup copy and it ran through setup however it couldn't access a bunch of much needed files, avi, cmd.exe and many others, I thought if I accepted the install without these then I could run repair from the back up but my backup has Service Pack 2 and my original disc does not so I couldn't run repair because it kept asking for a service pack 2 disc that I don't have. I removed the faulty install as I couldn't start the computer without a fatal error message and my PC shutting down to prevent damage. Now when I put the Windows CD into the drive I can hear the drive running but I get the message to press F1 to retry or F2 to enter setup. If I hit F1 to retry the screen blinks as if Windows setup is about to come on but instead I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top. Arg.
Thanks,
Jenna
Hi Jenna,
This does sound to me as though there is a problem with your Windows XP Installation disc.
As a test borrow a new genuine Microsoft Windows XP installation disc from someone who has the same edition as you i.e Home or pro. (Dont use a Manufacturers restore disc it should be a genuine Microsoft one
And see how you go.
Let us know what happens
regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI