This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Nmi Parity Check/memory Parity Error--pci Card Install

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

All: This problem is with a Dell Dimension XPS T500 PC, a 500 MHz P3 machine running 768 Mb RAM, with Win2K Pro as the operating system. I've been trying to install a D-Link DU-520 USB 2.0 PCI card in the machine. I have one spare PCI slot, and figured I'd install it to get more/faster USB capability beyond the two USB 1.X ports that already exist on the machine. I installed the drivers (or thought I did), installed the card, and got resource conflicts while the BIOS was starting up. I forced the boot to continue, and got a BSOD with the message that I had a hardware failure. I pulled the card, and all was well again–the machine booted up normally. I found that I hadn't updated the BIOS in a VERY long time, so I got the latest drivers for the machine from Dell and did so, jumping from A04 to A11 with no ill effects. I reinstalled the card, and still had resource problems, forced the boot to continue, got to the desktop screen, and got another BSOD. The message was: Hardware Malfunction NMI: Parity Check Memory Parity Error I took the card out, and again, all ran smoothly. I decided that maybe the drivers weren't installed properly for the card, and re-installed them, then the card. Things appeared to improve: The BIOS portion of the boot showed that the System Configuration was updated, and didn't hang up. However, as Windows was loading, I got the BSOD again, with the same memory parity error message. I've again removed the card, and all is again well with the machine. What can I do to get this card installed? I'm reasonably sure that this shouldn't happen, but can't figure out why. Any ideas? Thanks in advance–Tom vonHatten
I run a very similar machine Dell Dimension XPS T600r with 768mb RAM Running Windows 2000 I've installed a similar USB 2.0 PCI Card. The instructions for intallation of my Card (VIA USB 2.0 PCI card) indicate physically installing the PCI care "before" installing the Driver Software. I know that may sound counter-intuitive, since when installing a USB "Device" it is important to install the software Driver "before" connecting the hardware. Give it a try. You won't hurt anything. Best Regards
Doug: It turns out that the fix was simple–when I updated the BIOS, I didn't set it up to handle "plug-and-play" devices. I changed one switch in the BIOS, saved the settings, shut down, re-installed the card, and things booted right back up–no problems. All is well. Thanks–TvH

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI