Hi Doug, things are much better with my laptop….now having very slooooooooooooooow issues with my desktop. I cannot believe all this trouble. I guess I will post a hijack this log there and see what's up with that….I received some kind of usb error message and I don't even use a USB port….oh well….I know you guys will fix it as you do everything….thanks so much for all your help with my laptop! liz
Post a Pit Test for your Desktop.
You have a bit of "garbage" in your HJT log but nothing that would bring your Desktop to its knees.
(please remember that I am NOT a qualified HJT helper, so check back there for Expert advice)
Looks like you have some resource hog applications running.
We can probably get to them via a Pit Test and some specific recommendations from this Forum.
Best Regards
Go to your System Configuration Utility and "Enable all"
Then post a fresh PCPitstop Full Tests Techexpress.
(looks like you may already have a bunch of stuff disabled, and I'd like to see it first.)
Take notes before Enabling, so you can remember what stuff you wanted to have disabled.
Not running an Antivirus?
Not running an AntiSpyware?
Run an online scan at Panda and post the results here.
You may have to install JAVA JRE before running Panda, as I do not "see" a JAVA JRE on that machine.
Best Regards
I will try to do the Panda and then post the results.
As for the Windows update, I had no idea I needed to do this and honestly thought I had antivirus and spyware.
I thought I had AVG downloaded as well as ad - aware. Not sure what has happened here. Please advise….I will post in a little while after the panda scan
Liz
Hi Liz,
Your very high (not good) Ping Latency is an unpleasant surprise.
Especially since I think your Laptop Ping Latency was much lower and within expected range.
However, I recall that we did discuss possible problems with telephone wiring of your house, the NIC access panel on the outside of your house, and possible problems with the phone company wiring leading to your house.
Is this Desktop connected to the Internet, "exactly" in the same way that your Laptop is/was?
It will take way to long to download SP2 with your current Internet Connection Speeds.
I'd seriously consider sending a request to Microsoft for US Mail delivery of the SP2 CD.
Costs about $9.00 and usually arrives in less than a week.
Then you'll have it available to update this machine and any future use you may have for it.
I'll continue reviewing your Pit Test, but the Operating System needs attention First!
Can you give more information about the Internet Connection?
Ping Latency, is generally thought to be a problem of the ISP (your provider company) and is a problem they have to fix inside of their own operation. But with Speeds and Latency as poor as those showing in your Pit Test, I'd sure want to check the wiring too.
Best Regards
Hi Doug. I have a DSL connection with Verizon for my internet. I too am thinking it is something on their end because all the computers in the house are very very slow……the desktop is the main computer which the Netgear is connected for all our wireless connections and the other desktop in the house. I will wait to do sp2 till I call Verizon and have them come out to check all the wiring and their system as well. I have been having alot of problems with Verizon and am thinking of switching to Comcast. Please let me know if there is anything else I am to do though in the meantime with the pit stop report. Thanks so much for helping me through this, liz
If you have Verizon come out, and they determine that the problem is inside your house and not related to their equipment/wiring, then you could have a whopping big service call bill, even if they do nothing to fix the problem.
If your phone company has an option plan for "internal wiring", it might be worth it for you to subscribe.
My phone company charges me $1.50 monthly. For that fee, they will investigate and fix any internal phone wiring in my house, in addition to checking the NIC box outside and their own wiring to the poll or neighborhood switch box.
I've used it one time, and it was definitely worth having the service.
You would have to subscribe to the monthly service "before" asking for them to come out on a service call.
__________
Go ahead and order the SP2 CD.
I've been happy to have it on hand, many times over.
And sure, go ahead and defrag that C:\ (run Disk Defrag (3) three times in a row to get a good defrag.
Best Regards
Hi Doug. I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden, the system started working fast again. I did install an antivirus and antispyware (CA Security System), did a test and it eliminated some spyware but no viruses were present. I rebooted the system and it is working fine again. I did another pcpitstop tech express and here is the link…..
maybe you can see something different than before. I am going to order the disc from microsoft to upgrade to sp2.
change your TCP Receive Window size:
The following steps are SAFE, but you can Export a copy of your present Registry as a further safety backup if you so desire.
1. Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
2. Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
3. Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.
4. Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go to the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
5. Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
6. Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
7. Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.
8. Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
9. Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.
10. For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open applications and reboot your system.
Reduce the amount of Space Reserved for System Restore to 1% or an amount close to 1024mb.
Any more is wasted and contributing to your Disk Fragmentation.
Defrag your machine, after reducing the System Restore Space Reserved.
_______________
Disable the Following items via MSCONFIG:
Realtek Audio Realtek Semiconductor Corp. C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE HP software update Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe HP coretech Hewlett-Packard Company C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe Sun Java Update Sun Microsystems, Inc. C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe QuickTime Icon Apple Computer, Inc. C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe Adobe Photo Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starte … \apdproxy.exe ISUSScheduler InstallShield Software Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\U … \issch.exe Corel Photo Album Media Detect Corel, Inc. C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Photo Album 6\MediaDetect.exe dlcqmon.exe C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 966\dlcqmon.exe Memory Card Manager C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 966\memcard.exe HP Digital Imaging Component Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe S3 TV support S3 Graphics, Inc. C:\WINDOWS\System32\VTTimer.exe Dell Printer Communication C:\WINDOWS\System32\dlcqcoms.exe
You may later need to Re-Enable the items related to Dell Printer Communications if your Printer is not responsive or does not Print from MS Word, etc.
If it was me….. I wouldn't use Norton Ghost on that machine, largely because you only have 512mb RAM with 448 available due to drain from Video Card.
Norton Ghost "may" have been running a full or incremental update procedure at the time of your prior Pit Test and may have been consuming "nearly all" of your system resources.
You "can" select to have Norton run only Manual backups.
Best Regards
Hi Doug, thank you soooooooooooooo much. things are running great. I did everything you told me to do but I do not know how to change the Norton Ghost to run manually…..do I just uncheck it in the system config? I did see it listed in the start up in there. please advise, thanks, liz
Also, all the computers in the house are running great as well!
One question for you as well….I am thinking of purchasing a new notebook…..any suggestions. I love my Dell but have been told not to buy them?!!! You hear so many suggestions, not sure what to do….thanks for any input, liz
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI