This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Referred To This Page From "ken"....help!

52 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hi Doug….writing to you from another computer….having alot of trouble with mine again even getting a connection since all that past work we did. I also can no longer access Windows Media Player. Please help me if you can…..liz
Doug, what is very weird about this is that I get a good signal (three bars on the graph), but cannot connect to the internet at all….this all occurred since I changed to firefox update and java run update. I am really ina mess now because I cannot access the internet at all….what do I do now?
While I can, I finally was able to connect, however, I uninstalled firefox altogether and I can at least get on with IE…so possibly the new update of firefox was not a good thing for this computer. i don't know…I am not very computer savy. The other problem is that now I cannot use windows media player at all….what should I do about this….thanks for any help, liz
Hi Liz,

Regarding Windows Media Player.
A wide variety of issues can cause the problem you are experiencing.
While there are many specific files that can be fixed to resolve this problem, the best and easiest first step is to simply Install Windows Media Player, right over top of your current installation of Windows Media Player.
That installation will replace any missing or corrupt files and will get all the .dlls registered.

Download WMP 10 here
Or if you prefer using WMP 9 or WMP11, microsoft has downloads for those versions also.
__________________

Regarding problem with Access to the Internet:

Quite often this problem occurs even when there appears to be good connection available.

Run the following steps in the order that they are printed below:

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"

Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.
_____________________

If the above does not remedy the problem, try this Next:
go here:
http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe
Download Winsockxpfix.exe to your Desktop

(You can use another computer that has good connection to the internet to download the file, then burn it to CD for transfer to your problem machine)

Run Winsockxpfix.exe

For additional information about Winsockfix.exe you may read, here:
The graphical presentation walks the user through the entire process.
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
_____________

Firefox should not be the problem.
After you do the above fix, you can re-download and install the current version of Firefox.

Best Regards
Hi Doug, I did what you said and all is ok with the connection. I still cannot open Windows Media Player…it says that I have it downloaded but it will not load in. It gets the message that it has encountered a problem. something about temp files…..I tried to copy it but could not get it to copy. I always had wmp till yesterday , don't know what to do about it …hope you can help me…..lz
I tried to re download wmp and it says that I have one installed already, however, it will not run…it states I have encountered a problem and has to stop….???? so confused, sorry, liz
The thing about Windows Media Player is that XP will not let you "Uninstall" it.
Even though it is listed in Control Panel - Add/Remove, Selecting - Remove, actually just "Rolls-back" to the original non-updated version of Windows Media Player that was initially installed. (often version 9)

If you do find Windows Media Player in the list of Add/Remove, please try to use Remove.
If it lets you do that, it should be "rolled-back".
Then when you attempt to download an update, it "should" allow you to do that.

Note: I said "should".

There may be other obstacles.

The installation program for such routines as Shockwave, FlashPlayer, Ipod, and Media Player (versions) are typically found in C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\

Please navigate to C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\
In the contained listing, please determine if any installation routines for Windows Media Player exist in that location.
Note: The Main Heading for any particular item may be alphanumeric and difficult to recognize.
It is safe to "click" on the heading title (which is actually just the name of the Folder)
When the folder is opened by clicking as above, you may be able to spot a recognizable name.
If not, close the folder, and explore the other folders in that location.

If you determine that one of the Folders contains Windows Media Player installation, you can DELETE that one single Folder
for instance you could Delete:
C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\{D8C87B8A-0477-408A-AAE0-9FB4BEA3BF97}<– where the string of alphanumeric identifies has been recognized as the name of the Folder containing Windows Media Player installation.
(Note: the above alphanumeric actually refers to Ipod, I'm just using it as an example. the alphnumeric for Windows Media Play will be similar, but will contain recognizable WMP installation files.)

It is important that you know not to delete the parent-folder, for instance: C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\
And only DELETE the specific folder as represented above in bold.

Why are we doing this?
Because you've indicated that you are blocked from "downloading" a Windows Media Player installation package.
We are therefore removing/deleting it so that it will not be blocking the download.

Are there alternatives.
Maybe.
You could, for instance, simply download the installation files for Windows Media Player 11, which should not be blocked by any older WMP installation files.
________________

Keep us informed of your progress.
___________

With regard to your earlier stated problem set, I'd like to summarize, so that I am clear in my understanding of where we are in reaching solution.

–You initially Posted to Malware Removal where Ken545 assisted you.
–You were then referred to OCP Forum because "the pointer is freezing up alot and I get alot of program not responding"
–In OCP You ran and posted a Full Test and completed the recommend Tune-up Tips and specific instructions.
–Afterwards you indicated that the machine was performing better
–Next you identified (possibly new problems) - alot of trouble with mine again even getting a connection and Windows Media Player not responding.
–You then performed the instructions for correcting your IPCONFIG and reported restored Internet access
–the problem with Windows Media Player persists at this time.

Did I get that right?
If so, you've done some good work and your machine is performing much better.

If the above instructions do not resolve the problem with Windows Media Player, there are other approaches we can take.
But for now….. one step at a time.

Please inform me if my summary is inaccurate, or if there are additional items of concern you wish addressed.

Best Regards
Doug, You are awesome and your summary is exact…thank you. I will try to do what you instructed me per wmp but it does seem somewhat complex for me….I will try it though and keep you informed. As for finding the C:/windows….I hope I can…I'll try. liz
Hi Doug, I am not sure if you got my message. Having alot of problems again. I am beginning to think this computer is shot to ….. It freezes so often now, I cannot for the life of me get wmp going…when I deleted and re downloaded it, it says that there is already a version 11 already running but I cannot open it whatsoever. thanks, lizzyr
We need a better overview of that machine.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take about 2-3 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress if the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information.

Best Regards
Hi Doug, again, I am on another's computer unable to connect. I have a signal but nothing so I am unable to run the test. I tried to do the release, renew, flush as you told me before but nothing because I do not have a connection. I am worried….thanks for any help, even if I can get on just to do this test. liz
Error Attempting to validate Winsock base provider Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. Reset needed Doug, this is a message I received when trying to connect just a few minutes ago. I have a good signal but a little yellow warning symbol comes up stating the above and will not connect to internet… I am unable to run pitstop…liz
Regarding WMP:

If Windows Media Player is not listed in the Main listing of Add/Remove, try using the button item in the left-hand column, titled:
Add/Remove Windows Components
That will open up a smaller list of items.
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of Windows Media Player - Then press "Next" to initiate the Uninstall sequence.

Let us know if that helps.
_______

hmmmm. Strong signal, but no connection.
Reading that you've had a problem with WinsocksXPfix, can we presume that you have attempted all of the following:

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"

(Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.)
___________

If the above does not remedy the problem, try this Next:
go here:
http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe
Download Winsockxpfix.exe to your Desktop

Run Winsockxpfix.exe

For additional information about Winsockfix.exe you may read, here:
The graphical presentation walks the user through the entire process.
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

_________________
If above fails, consider the following:

Run Disk Cleanup (as per Ken's earlier instructions)
Run System File Checker (as per Ken's earlier instructions)
______________-

Is your wireless connection "encrypted". It probably is.
Please give us the Brand Name and Model number of your Router.
and the Brand Name and Model number of your Network Interface Card or adapter on this machine.
___________

Do you have the ability to Physically move this machine close enough to the Router that you can connect my Ethernet wire on a temporary basis.
If you can, please do so and Run a PCPitstop Full Tests, so we can get a current overview of what's what.

Best Regards
Hey Liz,

Glad you got connected again.

You will benefit with brisker machine functioning if you disable the following:

Office speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
ATI taskbar icon ATI Technologies, Inc. C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
Digital Line Detect BVRP Software C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
HP coretech Hewlett-Packard Company C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
Sun Java Update Sun Microsystems, Inc. C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
RealPlayer RealNetworks, Inc. C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
ATI Hotkey Utility ATI Technologies Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
Adobe Photo Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starte … \apdproxy.exe
HidFind Alps Electric Co., Ltd. C:\Program Files\Apoint\HidFind.exe
ISUSScheduler InstallShield Software Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\U … \issch.exe
Dell Support Gteko Ltd. C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
QuickSet C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
Google Desktop Search Google C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
HP Digital Imaging Component Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
HP software update Hewlett-Packard Company C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

Disabling these items with not harm them or your machine.
You will always be able to run them manually if you decide to.

Edit: Your Pit Test looks GOOD, with the exception of the above.
Nice machine.

Check that Battery! Your Dell 600m is on the Recall List, but the battery serial number may or may not be one of those recalled. Check it.

Best regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI