Thanks in advance for taking your time to read this.
As you can read in the title, I have a problem with my internet connection: downloads are not completing, always stopping between 0 and 2 MB of downloading (it took me 3 tries to get HijackThis downloaded); large files on websites (for example large images or YouTube movies) only load partially. The strange thing is, this only is a problem at the network I am currently connected to (university campus), and happens since I switched to a new Dell notebook. I even deleted everything and did a clean install of Windows: the problem remains, however. I know it is highly unlikely malware caused this, but it was the only possible explanation I could find.
However, with the help of LDTate from these forums, malware has been ruled out as being the cause of the problem, which can be seen in this thread, where he/she helped me clean out my HijackThis log.
Thus, my question is, has anyone here an idea as what could be causing this? Many thanks in advance.
Start - Run - (type)cmd - Enter
(this will open a DOS type box and you will see a blinking Cursor)
At the blinking Cursor, type each of the following, waiting for the first process to complete before moving to the 2nd and then the 3rd. Each may take several seconds and up to a minute or so.
At the blinking Cursor - Type:
ipconfig /flushDNS - Enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /release - Enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - Enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
______________
After you have completed the above:
I have encountered similar problems that were "caused" by the permissions and passwords utilized by College IPS networks.
Please review the entire process that the College may have given you when you subscribed to their internet connection service. (when you used the "Create a new Connection" protocol)
You may benefit from asking for technical assistance from the College internet access provider.
By making the above recommendation, I am not merely blaming the College in order to avoid further attempts to assist and solve the problem from here at TC.
It's just important to walk-it-through and not overlook any issue that might be contributing.
Consider uninstalling the Network Adapter Driver and then Re-boot
Windows will "find new hardware" and "install driver for new hardware."
_________
You presently do not show a JAVA Runtime Environment.
Please download the "Offline installation", then close browsers and install.
• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6, here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
• Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u2 allows end-users to run Java applications".
• Click the "Download" button to the right.
• Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
• The page will refresh.
• Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
• Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
• Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
• Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
• Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
• Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
• Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
• Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version
Dear Doug,
I did as you suggested and went to reinstall my network card. However, some fatal error occured during the installation: now there seems to be no way the drivers are recognized as uninstalled (even when the entire map of the driver is deleted). Thus, when I try to uninstall, it gives a fatal error, and when I try to reinstall, it only gives the option remove (not reinstall or repair). In short, an infinite loop. Even when safe booting, I could not uninstall the drivers. Thus, my drivers are being recognized as being installed, while they are not. Due to this, I don't have any internet access (I am now accessing the internet via a public computer at the campus).
Please help. Thanks in advance,
-Theris264
Well, that's the problem: when I select the 'remove' button it goes ahead and tries to uninstall it. However, when I then load the CD-ROM with the drivers again, it still only gives the 'remove' option. Deleting the drivers via the Settings -> Control panel -> Software extension gives some fatal error.
Oh, what I didn't mention before was that Windows does recognize the networkcard as new hardware, however, it won't find the drivers on the CD-ROM and tells me to install the drivers manually, which I cannot do due to the infinite loop problem.
I hope what I said made any sense. Thanks again,
-Theris264
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI