This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Need Help To Delete Corrupted File

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After uninstalling Adobe Acrobat 8, there was a file left over that I can't delete. The location of the file that I need to delete is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Distiller\Startup(2)\example.ps The reason for uninstalling the program was because it would crash a few seconds after opening. I'm hoping that after deleting this file, I will be able to reinstall the program without issues. My McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 also removed the Vundo trojan which I beleive was the reason for the crashing of Acrobat. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 4:24:22 PM, on 12/11/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Please Help! 📎example.ps
An observation: If the problem machine is the same as the one you posted in Malware Removal and then completed a self-help fix regarding Vundo Trojan………. At that time you showed having TrendMicro AntiVirus (a good product by the way) And you also showed "remnants" of Symantec Products since you still had its auto-updater showing. You now indicate that you have recently used McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 (also a good product but heavy on resource consumption) Question: Do you have more than one AntiVirus running active on your machine? Not a good idea, if so. More than one AntiVirus running active can create system conflicts. ______________ Have you tried re-Booting into SAFE Mode to remove the offending file? Best Regards
I now only use McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 now. Can't beat it for $4.99 boxed retail product from bestbuy.com :D I only use WinFax Pro from Symantec. Live update is still installed but not running. I did try to boot into the safe mode to delete the file and was unable there as well. I'm really stuck on this one but I know I do need to get rid of the containing folders and the file in order to reinstall the program without issues.
Do you get an Error Message when you attempt to delete "example.ps"

For instance: "Error - cannot delete - file is in use by another application"

If the file does seem to be "in use" or somehow attached to an application, thereby preventing the delete:
Have you ever used the utility "Unlocker"
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Best Regards
The error I get is: Cannot delete example.ps Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
I think I'm supposed to use the command: but I don't want to delete everything in Documents and Settings. Will my above command only delete this file and containing folders or everything in Documents and Settings?
You are correct……… but there is no ">" after the qualifier "/s" I think that was just a typo in your post here in the Forum? I share your cautionary concern about not wanting to Delete everything in C:\Documents and Settings\! Yikes! If I did that, I'd lose tons of stuff! While your proposed command is correct, you may wish to Copy/Paste the entire contents of your Documents and Settings to a C:\Temp Documents and Settings for safe-keeping and use to restore if you encounter a problem during the procedure. Not necessary, but might help reduce the anxiousness factor. Best Regards
You could also "create a new User Account and create a new folder and populate it with a few files". You could then perform this operation on that "safe" documents and settings folder, for practice. Best Regards
Sorry, I don't know if the option will appear as y/n or simply OK, on your machine. But answer in the affirmative to allow the action. Best Regards Edit: I do like the idea of creating a New User Account and trying out these procedures on "safe" files. I generally perform any procedure that I recommend here in the Forums, on my own machine, as a safety test, especially if I am just learning about the procedure. Just a cautious thought. :)
You need one more "\" which I overlooked. This is the Path that you indicated you are using: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Distiller\Startup(2) /s Therefore, your machine will believee that "startup(2)" is a "file" when in fact it's a Folder. Place a "\" after "startup(2)" to indicate that your are targeting any "file" inside of that Folder. (specifically "example.ps" but I don't think you don't need to type "example.ps") So your Path should look like the following: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Distiller\Startup(2)\ /s Please note that there is still a "space" between the "\" and "/s". Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI