This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How To Restore System

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everybody I tried to restore my system (winxp) on earlier specified time (day) but i dont have any system restore point (its turned on). I dont wont to do fdisc is too many things on it i dont want to lose. I cant create a new partition to copy important files on it… :unsure: If, but only if fdisk is only solution for this, tell me how to make backup of my files or programs and return it after formating? So please help, i dont know what to do. Thanks for any help. :wavey:
Hi igrica :wavey: I'd suggest two ways of backing up data, and they are; 1) Burn data to a blank DVD. Blank DVD's store 4.7gb so you may find you can backup all your data in one go! To burn your data, you'd need a burning program such-as Nero (you can get a free trial from the official site) OR 2) If you have an external hard-drive, you can attatch it to your PC or Laptop and once installed (which should be fairly quick with Windows XP) and you can literally copy and paste your data over for future reference. Remember that before you do a backup, search your PC for a long time until you're 100% sure you've got every bit of data, because if you miss something, and it gets wiped, that's going to be the end of it in most cases. Good luck, please write back if you need further help and advice. 'Bob
While "backing up your data/media/files" is a good and highly recommended practice, it would help us to help you more specifically if you would tell us the behavior/condition/symptom that causes you to want to "restore" your machine to a prior point. What's not working, not working the way you want it to, that prompts you to think you have a problem. I notice that you have also posted a HJT Log. With my "untrained eyes" you don't appear to have any significant malware problem, but that is for a trained expert to determine. So what's not working or what changes are you hoping to accomplish? best regards
Thanks for quick reply Bizzarebob, if I decided to formatting disc I will get an external disc and save all my data on it, although I have a Nero but don't know how to burn MS Office 2003 and find a validation key. My original disc is broken and I don't wont to lose this program. Anyway thanks for help :thumbup: Doug my comp is very, but VERRY slow, often is freezing or not responding for any command, opening web pages or any documents takes a years, IE don't work or opens itself shortcut…(I have enough space on HDD), so I think that is the best thing to do to restore system to my safely point, but I haven't any (why I don't know). If you know better way to heal my comp please say it and thanks both of you.. My regards :wavey:
Hi again. Before you do anything drastic, i suggest downloading & running: Spybot - Search & Destroy Lavasoft - Ad-aware AVG - Anti-spyware Hopefully after downloading, installing and updating these programs, running them ONE at a time, and deleting anything you find, reboot and you might see an improvement. If you don't , tell us what's still wrong :) 'Bob
Hi again to you, Bob I already have a Kaspersky Internet Security 6 and it shows nothing unusual. Although I have Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware…I think my problem isn't some malware nor viruses because I scan my comp almost every day on startup program… Thanks anyway to try help me, maybe some programmes in my system doesn't work properly so I will try to research my computer again, step by step. :wavey: Tigrica
Tigrica, Have you decided what you're going to do? You have a HJT log posted, but I don't see any malware / spyware.
LDTate Only want my comp to work faster, its too slow, freezing and slowly opens everything. I need to restore it on 15. May 2007, but haven't any restore point. Can I do this and how, or I must to formatting HDD? Thanks
Hi, Have you tried to Restore your computer using safe mode? Anti virus or firewall will sometimes stop System Restore from working. Trying System Restore from safe mode acts before your firewall or anti virus loads. This is why it sometimes works. To access safe mode: Restart computer at the first beep (immediately after the bios loads but before Windows starts to load) start tapping the F8 key regularly once per second until a black menu appears Select safe mode Try System Restore Tell us how you go Good Luck :D Regards paws
Hi paws, yes I tried couple of time, I tried the last good configuration, tried safe mode administrator, safe mode user… and always the same..no restore point. Even if I install some program there is no changes in system restore. Strange but whatever I do system restore don't memorize it (system restore is turn on). Thanks everyone to try to help me ;) and regards to you paws :wavey:
Hi tigrica, Ok, sorry safe mode did not work. This is what I suggest. 1 Run System File Checker 2 Start>Run sfc /scannow (note the space is essential) 3 OK sfc should take 20 minutes (approximately) Have your Windows XP installation disc nearby as Windows may ask you to insert it if you have missing/damaged protected system files. Sfc will copy across good files from your disc. If you cannot find your disc borrow one (make sure it has SP2 on it and it is the same version as installed on your machine (Home or Professional) Reboot see how you go if not successful 4 Start>Run chkdsk /f /r (note the spaces) 5 allow the reboot when requested if problems are found reboot Repeat procedure 4 and 5 reboot if problems found repeat procedure 4 and 5. reboot see how you go if unsuccessful Run sfc again (see 4) If not successful then check System Restore services are running (see 6) 6 To check: Click on Start Click on Control Panel Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management click Services and Applications. Click Services, double-click System Restore Services from the list. Verify the service is started and running. If not, under Service status, click Start and change the startup type to Automatic. Do the same for Task Scheduler. Try system Restore now after a reboot (see if can create a restore point) If unsuccessful 7 Try Windows Repair installation, this should preserve your data but back everything up first just to be safe! :) post back here if you need further instructions We will do our best to help you. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI