This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Can't Get Hijack This To Run

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can not run a HJT scan. I have d/l the most up to date version and when I double click on the program icon i get the following message: Runtime error 50003 - Unexpected eror I need to run HJT so I can find get help with another problem……… "spylocked shield in taskbar" I know you guys need the HJT log but I can't get one without the HJT software working. Can you help me out. :scratch: Thanks- gkline
Hi gkline ,

Welcome to Tom Coyote Forums

Let's try this.

Download Deckards System Scanner (DSS) to your Desktop.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/Deckard/dss.exe
  • Close all applications and windows.
  • Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  • When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt <- this one will be maximized and extra.txt<-this one will be minimized
  • Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt in your thread here.
  • A folder, C:\Deckard, will also be created. In it will be copies of main.txt and extra.txt
Note: some firewalls may warn that sigcheck.exe is trying to access the internet - please ensure that you allow sigcheck.exe permission to do so.

What Deckards System Scanner will do:
  • create a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.
  • clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, and Internet Cache Files, and also empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.
  • check some important areas of your system and produce a report for your analyst to review. Deckards System Scanner automatically runs HijackThis for you, but it will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have HijackThis installed.
For users running Windows 2000, XP or Vista
*=========================*

Post the following:

DSS's main.txt

Thanks,
Rogue
Thanks for your response to my help request. I feel that before I proceed with your suggestion, I would inform you that I am running Windows 98se on this machine. I notice the reference in the instructions to Windows XP and 2000, so I thought I had better check with you and see if this software you suggest will work on my OS. Thanks- gkline :)
HI gkline

I notice the reference in the instructions to Windows XP and 2000, so I thought I had better check with you and see if this software you suggest will work on my OS.

Good information to have. No this will not work on Win98. Let's try this.


Rename Hijackthis:

Locate the program Hijackthis.
Select the file, Hijackthis.exe, right-click and select Rename.
Please change the name to: icmore.exe
Then please could you post a new Hijackthis log.
*========================*

If you cannot post a log go to this next step

Download Itty Bitty Process Manager (IBProcMan.zip)(direct download) http://www.merijn.org/files/ibprocman.zip
Unzip it to your desktop
Try running that - it will provide a 'task manager' like process in which you can stop running processes. Don't stop any yet, just list all that it has so I can check them and give advice.

Post either a hijackthis log or process list from Itty Bitty Process Manager

Rogue
Thanks for your response and suggestions.

Renaming The file does not help. I still get the error: unexpected error

ittybiddy process manager gets the same error.

Any suggestions? :scratch:

PS- :blink:
Here is a log from a program called "silent runners"
Maybe this will be of assistance, since I have no HJT log to show.

"Silent Runners.vbs", revision R50, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows 98
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"


Startup items buried in registry:
———————————

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"ScanRegistry" = "C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun" [MS]
"TaskMonitor" = "C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe" [MS]
"SystemTray" = "SysTray.Exe" [MS]
"AtiPTA" = "Atiptaxx.exe" ["ATI Technologies, Inc."]
"avast! Web Scanner" = "C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE" ["ALWIL Software"]
"ashMaiSv" = "C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ashmaisv.exe" ["ALWIL Software"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\ {++}
"LoadPowerProfile" = "Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme" [MS]
"SchedulingAgent" = "mstask.exe" [MS]
"ATIPOLAB" = "ati2evxx.exe" [file not found]
"KB891711" = "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE" [MS]
"avast!" = "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe" ["ALWIL Software"]
"KB918547" = "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB918547\KB918547.EXE" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\
{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}\(Default) = (no title provided)
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "AcroIEHlprObj Class"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL" ["Adobe Systems Incorporated"]
{761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}\(Default) = (no title provided)
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "SSVHelper Class"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll" ["Sun Microsystems, Inc."]
{22D8E815-4A5E-4DFB-845E-AAB64207F5BD}\(Default) = (no title provided)
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "eBay Toolbar Helper"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EBAY\EBAY TOOLBAR2\EBAYTB.DLL" ["eBay Inc."]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\
"{472083B0-C522-11CF-8763-00608CC02F24}" = "avast"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "avast"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashShell.dll" ["ALWIL Software"]
"{0006F045-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" = "Microsoft Outlook Custom Icon Handler"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "Outlook File Icon Extension"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\olkfstub.dll" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
avast\(Default) = "{472083B0-C522-11CF-8763-00608CC02F24}"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "avast"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashShell.dll" ["ALWIL Software"]
WinZip\(Default) = "{E0D79304-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "WinZip"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\WZSHLSTB.DLL" ["WinZip Computing LP"]

HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
WinZip\(Default) = "{E0D79304-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "WinZip"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\WZSHLSTB.DLL" ["WinZip Computing LP"]

HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
avast\(Default) = "{472083B0-C522-11CF-8763-00608CC02F24}"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "avast"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashShell.dll" ["ALWIL Software"]
WinZip\(Default) = "{E0D79304-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "WinZip"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\WZSHLSTB.DLL" ["WinZip Computing LP"]


System Policies {policy setting}:
———————————

Note: detected settings may not have any effect.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\

"CDRAutoRun" = (REG_BINARY) hex:00 00 00 00
{unrecognized setting}

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\

"NoCDBurning" = (REG_DWORD) hex:0x00000000
{unrecognized setting}


Active Desktop and Wallpaper:
—————————–

Active Desktop may be disabled at this entry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellState

Displayed if Active Desktop enabled and wallpaper not set by System Policy:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\
"Wallpaper" = "C:\My Documents\My Pictures\LOGO.bmp"

Displayed if Active Desktop disabled and wallpaper not set by System Policy:
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"Wallpaper" = "C:\My Documents\My Pictures\LOGO.bmp"


Enabled Scheduled Tasks:
————————

"Tune-up Application Start" -> launches: "walign" [MS]


Winsock2 Service Provider DLLs:
——————————-

Namespace Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
000000000001\LibraryPath = "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\rnr20.dll" [MS]

Transport Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
00000000000#\PackedCatalogItem (contains) DLL [Company Name], (at) # range:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mswsosp.dll [MS], 1
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msafd.dll [MS], 2 - 4
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\rsvpsp.dll [MS], 5 - 6


Toolbars, Explorer Bars, Extensions:
————————————

Toolbars

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\
"{92085AD4-F48A-450D-BD93-B28CC7DF67CE}" = (no title provided)
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "eBay Toolbar"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EBAY\EBAY TOOLBAR2\EBAYTB.DLL" ["eBay Inc."]

Extensions (Tools menu items, main toolbar menu buttons)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\
{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}\
"MenuText" = "Sun Java Console"
"CLSIDExtension" = "{CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0006-ABCDEFFEDCBC}"
-> {HKLM…CLSID} = "Java Plug-in"
\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JRE1.5.0_06\BIN\SSV.DLL" ["Sun Microsystems, Inc."]


———-
+ This report excludes default entries except where indicated.
+ To see *everywhere* the script checks and *everything* it finds,
launch it from a command prompt or a shortcut with the -all parameter.
+ To search all directories of local fixed drives for DESKTOP.INI
DLL launch points, use the -supp parameter or answer "No" at the
first message box and "Yes" at the second message box.
———- (total run time: 36 seconds, including 18 seconds for message boxes)
I am locking this thread.

You have posted the same log at spywareinfo and you are being helped by nasdaq there.
There is a very limited pool of helpers and we are all volunteers who give their time to help clean up infected computers.
When you post the same log at two different forums you have a good chance of wasting the time of at least one of the helpers. It takes time to analyze logs.
There is also the problem that if you get instructions from two helpers and you follow the instructions from both you make the job that much more difficult if not impossible as the helpers work at cross purposes because the results are not what would be expected and until they find out what is going on the have wasted further time.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=101521

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI