RYLOK
Topic Starter
I used Norton to delete Backdoor.Rustock.B and Infostealer.LDPinch, now when I try to start IE I get the following error
"the application has failed to start because msvcrl.dll was not found reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
When I Googled msvcrl.dll, I learned it was a nasty little keylogger, I found the file msvcrl.dll under my Norton quarintine and submitted it to Norton, I have only gotten 1 standard auto responce in 5 days, that they are looking into it.
I think somehow Norton failed to remove all of the Infostealer virus, that a line of code or something was left in my EI startup folder or someplace requiring it to use the msvcrl.dll in order to load, I have deleted and reinstalled IE several times, I have removed and reinstalled all windows accesories, I have run Windows Defender, Norton Systems 6 and all its programs, nothing I have done seems to fix this I have also run Sysinternals regdelnull, I ran Sysinternals autoruns and everything looked good in it too.
I then ran regkitreaveler and found a few odd things.
HKLM\Security\policy\secrets\SAC", size=0, keyname contains nulls (*)
HKLM\Security\policy\secrets\SAI", size=0, keyname contains nulls (*)
I checked these out on the sysinterals site and I think they are legit, but I am not 100% sure
The only thing really bothering me was the third line on this report.
HKLM\SOFTWARE, size=0, error dumping hive: Internal error (this could be a problem with the scanner or something inside the files is FUBAR)
I have been fighting this thing for a month and I guess I need some help please.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:04:28 PM, on 5/7/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Password Manager\AcctMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Ryan\Desktop\HI-JACK - SCANNER\Hi-jack SCANNER.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F8EA49DA-2095-ABD3-7D85-A5D74D47966F} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcctMgr] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Password Manager\AcctMgr.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://maddockstraining.webex.com/client/v…bex/ieatgpc.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: InterBase Guardian (InterBaseGuardian) - InterBase Software Corp. - C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibguard.exe
O23 - Service: InterBase Server (InterBaseServer) - InterBase Software Corp. - C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
"the application has failed to start because msvcrl.dll was not found reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
When I Googled msvcrl.dll, I learned it was a nasty little keylogger, I found the file msvcrl.dll under my Norton quarintine and submitted it to Norton, I have only gotten 1 standard auto responce in 5 days, that they are looking into it.
I think somehow Norton failed to remove all of the Infostealer virus, that a line of code or something was left in my EI startup folder or someplace requiring it to use the msvcrl.dll in order to load, I have deleted and reinstalled IE several times, I have removed and reinstalled all windows accesories, I have run Windows Defender, Norton Systems 6 and all its programs, nothing I have done seems to fix this I have also run Sysinternals regdelnull, I ran Sysinternals autoruns and everything looked good in it too.
I then ran regkitreaveler and found a few odd things.
HKLM\Security\policy\secrets\SAC", size=0, keyname contains nulls (*)
HKLM\Security\policy\secrets\SAI", size=0, keyname contains nulls (*)
I checked these out on the sysinterals site and I think they are legit, but I am not 100% sure
The only thing really bothering me was the third line on this report.
HKLM\SOFTWARE, size=0, error dumping hive: Internal error (this could be a problem with the scanner or something inside the files is FUBAR)
I have been fighting this thing for a month and I guess I need some help please.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:04:28 PM, on 5/7/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Password Manager\AcctMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Ryan\Desktop\HI-JACK - SCANNER\Hi-jack SCANNER.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F8EA49DA-2095-ABD3-7D85-A5D74D47966F} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcctMgr] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Password Manager\AcctMgr.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://maddockstraining.webex.com/client/v…bex/ieatgpc.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: InterBase Guardian (InterBaseGuardian) - InterBase Software Corp. - C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibguard.exe
O23 - Service: InterBase Server (InterBaseServer) - InterBase Software Corp. - C:\Program Files\InterBase Corp\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe