Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Homeportal Gui Unavailable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 let-me-see

let-me-see

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hey guys here's one for you to think about.

I have dsl with a 2wire homeportal wireless router.

I have been using this computer (wireless laptop) on the network for a year with no problems, able to log into the user interface for the homeportal by typing homeportal or the ip of 172.16.0.1 into the address line of a web browser (you know the game).

Till Now!

I am now unable to log into or even view the GUI as when I try I get a "Problem loading page" or "Connection has timed out.

I have cycled the power on the box. Still nothing. Even tried to access the GUI via a desk top connected by cat5 and nothing.

Internet works fine as you see and I have been able to ping 172.16.0.1, gateway.2wire.net

Please help. Could it be a hijacker? Think I should junk it and get a new router/dsl modem? Below is what the tech said from 2wire.

KZ

P.S. It did seem to start after making a firewall change on the router some time ago. However not sure exactly when because I don't log into the GUI daily.

Dear let-me-see,
Thank you for contacting 2Wire Customer Support. The following is intended to answer your inquiry:

- Browse to gateway.2wire.net/management
- Click 'Resets' on the left hand side.
- Click 'Reset to Factory State', click 'continue' and wait for the HomePortal to reset.
- Browse to gateway.2wire.net/setup and follow the onscreen directions.
- If prompted for a keycode, you can find one at 2wire.com/?p=268

If this response has not answered your question or resolved your issue you may visit our support Website at support.2wire or reply to this email.

Thank You,
Charles
2Wire Customer Support

Edited by let-me-see, 04 May 2007 - 11:24 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

does the router have a external reset switch or button in the back? you might try to reset to factory defaults that way. any changes to the router you made you would have to make them again after the reset. i would reboot modem, router and computer after the reset.
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 let-me-see

let-me-see

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

no it doesn't have a reset button on the back.... I think I am going to junk it as it only connects at 11.0Mbps. I thank you for your thoughts... I guess I kinda needed to vent.. As their support was not that helpful and SBC said to call them. Oh well thanks again! Keep up the good work.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hi let-me-see,

A couple of comments here:

I've never "liked" the 2-wire router/modem that SBC sends with the package when you subscribe to their service.
But it is a competent router/modem.

You may or may not have tried the following:

On the bottom of the 2-wire router/modem, you will see "instructions" for installing/configuring the router/modem.

I've had good experience with running those instructions to get the 2-wire unit operating again.
Sometimes, I've found that it just needs to be run "periodically".
Other times, if the owner/user physically moves their machine or connects it via a different telephone jack, the configuration needs to be run again.

Like I said before, I don't necessarily "like it" but doing the configuration routine has worked several times for me.

As Shelf Life states, you may have to set additional configuration for your own particular network.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.