This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Pc Freezing

43 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Dough To my surprise it appears I have some internet access and I am therefore ruhing a reply before the big freeze sets in. This is a partial response to your previous post: If this is succesful I will go on to post again re temperature and PC pitstop, if able. 1 HARD DRIVE DISK STRUCTURE Completed run - no errors! 2 SFC SCANNOW I managed to find the Windows XP disk and completed this run - boy what a pain. Multiple (and I mean multiple) alert messages as the run proceded. "Files that are required for Windows to run properly….must be copied to the DLL cache" and another one about original files being replaced by unrecognised ones. I had to click 'retry' to clear each message. As this was my first experience I trust this was correct. 3 DEVICE DRIVER CHECK No errors (ie no red/yellow warnings) After doing the above the situation is that my favourites do not work (in other words I have to Google to Tom Coyote) and I could swear that my homepage is a throwback (IE6?). Something has changed there. I was getting a little further into IE before getting frozen out. I am flabbergasted that this message looks like a runner. I am going to post now and will do a further add reply if this is succesful. I hope you get my drift! Nelclaret
Dough Well it looks like that reply took so here is part 2 - I hope you understand why I did it like this. DUST BUNNIES To be honest it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Cleaned out and fans appear to be working normally, as far as I could see. PC PITSTOP I did a test - racing against time before freezing. Obtained a result. I was unable to cut and paste so I had to write it down manually. Here goes: http:/ /www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=QAFZHWELYMWSNJ1W. Hope that is right. The test seemed to freeze up just at the end. If PC holds up I will try another one and see if I can cut and paste. TEMPERATURE As per previous post the temperature fluctuates wildly up and down the scale - literally going from say 10 degrees, up to a 100, back to 20 up to 80 back to 5 etc. Forgive stupid question but how do I know which result to post to you? I went into a local PC chain today and explained the problems - I was advised that all they could do would be to restore the factory settings (ie wipe). I am loathe to do this (especially as I am currently having some success). Am I wrong in thinking that this is solvable? To summarise performance - until this session I was still getting Internet hangups, after say 5 mins (was about a minute before!) (I don't know whether this is a permanent fix). This would then disable the desktop icons, which would work fine before this. Reboot would be the only option. - My homepage has no functionality for 'favourites' although the list is still there but their icons are not - There appears to have been some kind of throwback to a previous version of my homepage (is it possible the SFC /scannow has done this?) - I have just noticed this but the cursor, as I write this message, is fluttering noticably - thought I would mention it. - The wireless mouse still appears dead (this does not concern me at all) I really appreciate all your efforts on this one Dough. I await your observations with interest. Many thanks Nelclaret. -
I'll review more in depth later, but I've got to run errands now.

Consider completely Uninstalling Adobe 7.07 and all of its extras.

Foxit is a fully functional .pdf reader and is only a few mb in size. It also has no need to run active like much of Adobe tries to do.

Foxit download, here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

I know this suggestion is rather trivial, but it will save you a ton of Hard Drive space and reduce the CPU load.

You are getting close to needing a second Hard drive — C:\ 30% free space.
If you get down to 25% you'll start having problems related to space.

Consider an External Harddrive for backup and to save rarely used documents and media to clean up your C:\
If it's a possibility for you, it would be worth it.

See ya a little later.

Best Regards
Hi Nelclaret, I need a bit of clarification at this point. Seems you are having a great deal of difficulty keeping a persistent Internet connection. Does your machine function as expected when not attempting to connect to the internet? You mentioned "fluttering" of your cursor. Does this only happen when you are on the internet? For instance, if you were to open Microsoft Office 2003, that I see you recently installed, can you type a full document or even just a paragraph or two without the cursor "fluttering"? If so, you may have a temporary solution for hit-and-run access to the internet for posting. For instance, you could type out your reply in Word, then copy/paste it to your Reply box when you browse to TC. ___________ Please run SFC a second time. Let us know if it alerts during the run and what options you are offered, and what finally works. ____________ Please do the following in order: GoTo: Reboot your computer. Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /releaseall <— notice the space before the "/" Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /renew <— notice the space before the "/" Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /flushdns <— notice the space before the "/" Attempt to log onto the internet and report back with your results. Also please tell us what DSL modem and/or Router you are using and how you connect to DSL (wireless/wired CAT5/USB cable)
Hi Dough Thank you for getting back to me. I will try to clarify how things are as you requested. As things stand I have a consistent internet connection. The problem was not maintaining the connection but the persistent freezing whenever I tried to do something (such as post a reply to you). Of course, this MAY be the same thing to which you refer or we may be talking about different things. The fluttering of the cursor only appears on the internet (such as when I write this). It seems OK in word. By fluttering I mean that the cursor blinks normally for a few seconds then seems to blink at a rapid rate before going back to the normal rate after a second or two …and the cycle repeats. I understand what you mean by the hit and run internet access using cut and paste but (as I speak) this is unnecessary as the internet access is secure and not freezing. What IS concerning me at the moment is the disabling of my 'favourites' list on the Google homepage as well as the inability to access the internet via the address bar or the history box on the toolbar. The favourites list does not work ( there is just nothing happening when I click on a link). If I try to use the toolbar I get the following message 'The requested look up key was not found in any active activation context'. The only way I can get to (for example) this site is by Google searching 'Tom Coyote' in the main search box - the same for all other sites I want to get to. It seems to me that this occurred after the SFC run I conducted. As I said before It also seems that the homepage was thrown back to an earlier version as a result of the SFC run. I'm not sure if I am explaining this clearly but, for example, the heading for the favourites list is the original one, not the updated version I was using after downloading IE7. There is also a persistent 'Error on page' message in the bottom left hand corner. I am sorry to have gone off at a tangent, here, but I feel that the solution may well be close. I have internet access and if I could restore functionality to the favourites list, address list and toolbar then that would be a giant step back towards normality. I note your request for a second SFC run. However, I have a concern here. Before the first run I had about 40% free space on the hard drive. As you pointed out, this had (suddenly) dropped to 30%. Is this due to the SFC run? I have not downloaded anything throughout this problem and can only associate the missing 10% with the SFC run. If I do another one am I going to be losing another 10% and be in trouble for free space? Sorry if this is rubbish! Given the above I am holding off from the ipconfig process you outline as I currently have a stable Internet access (albeit with the problems described above). For info I use a Thomsen 'speedtouch' modem - no router. Dough - many thanks for your forebearance and apologies for my ignorance as evidenced in this post. My gut feeling is that the SFC run almost did a kind of system restore from the original XP disk. IE is in some kind of limbo as a result (the disabled favourites;toolbar etc). If there is some way of checking this please let me know. It is early morning here across the pond and I shall be retiring for the night. Your patience is much appreciated. Nelclaret
Let's see if we can preserve your Favorites (the list of links) so that any repair work we may need to do on IE does not lose them.

Are you familiar with the "Export" function for saving Favorites?

In Internet Explorer -

File - Import/Export - Enter - Next
(brings up the import/export wizard)

The panel allows you to highlight which items - import favorites, import cookies, import favorites, export favorites
Select - Export Favorites - Next
the next panel displays items to Export (probably only one item "Favorites" unless you have multiple folders in Favorites
Select - Favorites - Next
the next panel suggests a file location to save your Favorites: (most likely C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\bookmarks.htm)
Select - Next - Finished
A small alert pops up saying "Favorites successfully exported"
________________________________

You can even "test" the saved export of Favorites to assure yourself that everything got backed up.
It is the file: Bookmarks.htm
Located at:C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\bookmarks.htm
You can double-click on bookmarks.htm and it should open in IE.
Each of your Favorites should appear on its own line, and should be "clickable"
Give it a try
_____________

Do you have FireFox Browser?
If you do, does it exhibit the same problem that you are having with IE?

If not, download and install Firefox, here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

During the installation of Firefox, you will be offered options to make FireFox look line and have the same settings as IE, have the same homepage, and import favorities from IE.
DO NOT Make Any of Those Adjustments to import or make similar to IE. (at this time)

Just setup FireFox as an independant Browser (we can deal with preferred homepage and favorites later.)

Tell us how your new FireFox is functioning for you. Any problems similar to what you've had with IE?
_______________-

If FireFox gives you uncompromised internet functionality, then we'll take some steps to Repair IE 7.0
___________

hmmmm. About SFC and the lost 10gb of Hard Drive.
I wonder if SFC "restored" the "size" of System Restore.
Take a look and adjust it back downward if it did.

See ya in the morning.
Though by the time I get up, it will already be your mid-afternoon.
The Internet and places like TomCoyote are just astounding, mind-boggling, and wonderful, in my opinion.

Best Regards
Good morning/afternoon/ evening Dough EXPORT OF FAVOURITES Thanks. This has worked fully and the favourites are functional from the bookmarks - excellent. FIREFOX I am unable to download firefox. On trying to get to the link from your post I got the error "The requested look up key was not found in any activation context". I then went to the firefox site via google search but got the same message when trying to download. Interestingly on trying to click on ANY of your links that you have previously provided in this topic I get the same error message. The same applies when moving around some (but not all) sites on the net. SFC AND LOST HARD DRIVE SPACE Re the lost 10% (not 10gb by the way) Doh - for the life of me I can't remember where to do the check for the system restore size! I've flailed around a bit. Could you point me in the right direction please? Thanks. A final observation : I have noticed that my IE explorer Icon has reverted to old type (without the IE7 golden band). More evidence of what I call the 'throwback'? I agree that the Internet is a miracle, even if , as now, it caises me some angst. Tom Coyote is a remarkable site and I am very grateful for all the help I have received. Regards Nelclaret :thumbup:
Consider downloading FireFox via another computer, then burn the installation file to CD. Load and install Firefox onto this machine, from the CD
Dough ***slaps forehead*** Of course! It may take me a couple of days to arrange this but I'll let you know asap. Thanks Nelclaret
Dough Just to let you know that I am hoping to get Firefox downloaded via 3rd party PC tomorrow May 17 and will advise outcome. The reason for posting now is to let you know that I have had a quick look at my most recent PC pitstop result (12 May). I notice that it is telling me that I am operating IE version SIX. This kind of confirms what I thought had happened after the SFC scan. Another little piece in the jigsaw? Be seeing you. Nelclaret.
Hello Dough I have downloaded Firefox and it appears to be working fine. I have installed it as a stand-alone as instructed. No favourites imported or customisation etc. I am writing this message on the forum via firefox and I note that the cursor is still 'fluttering' as previously described, although in a different way. However, this is not causing any lag or freeze problems. I await further instructions re IE. Many thanks. Nelclaret
Hi Nelclaret,

I'm glad you are able to run FireFox, and that it functions without lag (though still shows a variant of your "fluttering problem")
_________

I'm going to take a moment to divert from providing additional recommendations.
Instead I will reflect upon the tremendous energy, time, and persistence you've invested in addressing your machine's problem.

Having "patience" as you've mentioned, and being encouraged by "progress" is not always a good thing when multiple problems present themselves simultaneously, and especially when applying recommended solutions appears to create additional problems.

Cost-benefit analysis may argue in favor of reformatting your hard drive and performing a fresh installation of your operating system, drivers and software applications.

Please allow me to reflect for a moment on the above, "rather abrupt" statement.

If you were to have taken your machine to the local repair shop (you've previously considered doing so, as quoted below)

This morning I was convinced I would have to take it in for surgery (but worried about cowboys!). Thinking about it the thing works fine provided I don't go into the internet then whammo as above. I thought I would give you another shot as it may be something and nothing although I am beginning to doubt it. I would rather send Tom Coyote a bigger donation in any event!
______________

I went into a local PC chain today and explained the problems - I was advised that all they could do would be to restore the factory settings (ie wipe).

I am loathe to do this (especially as I am currently having some success). Am I wrong in thinking that this is solvable?


As I began above:
If you were to have taken your machine to the local repair shop,
….the Tech would reflect on the nature of the difficulty and would know that a typical "reformat and reinstall" would require approximately 3.5 hours of their time. The Tech would then estimate whether or not a "specific repair" could be accomplished in less time and still retain the assurance that the system would be functioning in at least the same "top performance" that would be accomplished by a "reformat-reinstall". If their "guess-timate" was ambiguous, they would certainly recommend in favor of restoring to factory condition. Having "blown out the dustbunnies" and checked the physical connectors in the process, the Tech would have a reasonable "bench mark" with the now "factory default" machine from which any additional repair of CPU and/or addition of RAM/other hardware could be extrapolated.

The argument would be that they would be saving you time/money by not charging you for multiple specific repairs, particularly since the total of the various repairs might be greater than 3.5 hours and still not assure proper functioning.

The would have "fixed" the problem, and then confidently handed the machine back to you. At such time, it would be your responsibility to reinstall your various preferred applications and restore your backed-up documents, media, email, favorites, etc. to the machine. Your additional time/labor would not be "their problem", since they "fixed" the problem for you and anything beyond that "repair" would be a matter of your "user-preference" and not a concern for them. Any hardware related changes would become an additional repair order request at your option.

Needless to say, your "restoration work-after-repair" could, in itself, be daunting.
__________

The many Senior Members here at TC consistently maintain that our purpose is to provide instruction for specific repairs as requested by the Member posting the problem, and that "reformat-reinstall" is NOT a recommendation of first resort. I agree.

Why?
Because performing specific repairs not only works in most situations, but has the added benefit of being "educational" and providing the posting Member with a greater understanding and first-hand experience with maintaining and repairing their own machine. The posting Member would "learn" much less if "reformat-reinstall" was the "pat-answer".

As more and more Members participate and learn at TC and other similar Forums, we contribute to a gradual enhancement of more competent computer and internet users. Users become more self-reliant and self-sustaining, resulting in better quality of computer/internet experience for themselves and an overall improvement in the computer-user/internet community.
__________

You've shown great persistence in your efforts, and hopefully will have some useful knowledge and practice as a result.
However, as the small steps have moved toward "progress" you've also had to accept the ongoing situation of a machine persistently not functioning as you would prefer.
__________

Is it time to reformat and reinstall your operating system? Maybe.
_________

Arguments in favor of reformat-reinstall:
–Your efforts to date have not completely succeeded.
–Additional unidentified problems may yet to be revealed.
–Some benign but annoying debris is being left on your machine (Panda for instance) <– this can be dealt with, but more work will be involved.

Arguments in favor of persistence with the present course of specific repairs:
–You have made progress
–The process may be contributing to your knowledge base
–You've invested a great amount of effort that you might be reluctant to abandon
–A few more steps may result in a fully functioning machine.

Ancillary arguments:
–We have no idea at this point what impact the "heat" situation may have had on your CPU/machine
_________

What should you do at this point?

–If you haven't already, backup all of your important data, documents, media, installation routines, drivers, favorites, email addresses, etc.
–Decide whether to persist with the specific repairs or resort to reformat-reinstall.
_________

If you decide to persist with the course of specific repairs:
–Be sure you have your documents-etc. backed up anyway <– always good practice

–Uninstall Yahoo toolbar and all related Yahoo products via Control Panel - Add/Remove
–Uninstall Google toolbar and all related Google products via Control Panel - Add/Remove
Be sure that you've uninstalled both Yahoo and Google "update notifier utilities".

–Uninstall your WebCamera software and physically remove its connection from your machine.
–Uninstall "all" of your games
–Uninstall Google Earth
–Uninstall RealPlayer
–Uninstall Limewire
–Uninstall Microsoft Access '97
–Uninstall Microsoft Office 2003
–Uninstall Internet Explorer 7 if it appears in your Add/Remove
__________

Reduce your System Restore to a range of 1-2gb
Right-click - My Computer - Select - System Restore(tab) - Press - Settings - Use the "slider" to reduce amount of space reserved
___________

Run your Ccleaner
___________

Reboot into SAFE Mode
Use your Disk Defragmenter 3 times in a row
___________

Reboot Normally
Run CHECKDISK "again" (as previously described)
Run it multiple times until no bad-clusters are identified and no files are required to be moved
______________

Run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) again - as previously described
Run SFC multiple times, until no items are identified
(don't worry about the anticipation of possible additional free-space loss that you have previously attributed to SFC)
____________

Run the commands for ipconfig (in order as below)
Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /releaseall
Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /renew
Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /flushdns
_____________

Reboot into SAFE Mode
Defrag your Hard Drive (only one pass necessary this time)
______________

Run a fresh PCPitstop Full Test (you will be using IE 6, for the Pit Test)
Post the TechExpress
______________

Post any questions or problems with the above procedures
____________

After you've replied to the above, we will be running IE 6 repair protocols from Microsoft.
Do not begin any IE Repair until after you've applied and replied with results from "all" of the above.
You can read about IE6 repair here: (but don't start on the repair until replying to the above)
http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm
and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
__________

What would I do?
I'd follow the "specific repair" recommendations from this post as above, prior to considering reformat and reinstall.

Best Regards
Dough Thanks for your post. Blimey! And here's me thinking I was nearly there! It's late here and I feel I need to think this one through. A question - I don't know what is meant by 'safe mode'. An observation - In actual fact my PC is working a lot quicker and better than before. I attribute this to the disabling of panda, the disabling of the numerous start up applications and the overdue defrag (which I am now doing regularly). The procedures you have outlined are indeed, for me, a bit cosmic - and I am frankly fearful of hashing it up, in particular trying to restore all my stuff. It is a confidence thing. So I am going to ask what may be a very stupid question: My sole (?) problem, in terms of visible performance, is the possibly corrupted IE6/7 which has effectively disabled my favourites list (although I can access via bookmarks) and gives me that random error message about "the requested look-up key was not found in any activation context". Firefox works and can (as I understand it) mimic IE if required. Why not just delete IE 7 and use Firefox exclusively? Granted, I would like to import my favourites list (which is quite extensive) from IE into the Firefox bookmarks and I have had a little dabble at this without success. Those are my initial thoughts and I am sure it is not that simple. I'm going to sleep on it. Thank you once more for your extensive efforts - I hope this reply is not construed as a slap in the face! Not at all meant in that vein. Regards Nelclaret PS I'm not at all convinced about those temperature readings!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI