This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Emergency - Please Help

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks for the help - here is the problem: I was networked with my schools VPN Client and accessing my H: drive (school drive) from home. I shut the computer down and now when I restart the desktop is blank. I have wallpaper, but no icons or toolbar. Every now and then the toolbar will appear, but it can't be used. I tried starting in Safe Mode and I can't. I don't know why - I have done it hundreds of times throughout the years, but now it won't let me. I can Atl+Ctrl+Del and run anything from 'File - Run' if I know where it is, but that isn't cutting it. I have a project due tomorrow and have to have access to my computer. I have run Trend Micro Housecall, Ewido, Ad-Aware, and deleted everything from each. I ran them each twice to make sure nothing was left. I also ran BitAgent Virus Scan and it found nothing. I tried updating Windows, but the only three updates I needed failed to download without any error message. Also, if I go to Task Manager and click on applications I have nothing running, if I click on Proccess I have 38 running and every now and then explorer.exe will pop up for about 1 sec and then disappear. I am lost. Anything would be helpful at this point and thank you so much for your advice.
In the event that the above tip did not help, consider using the TaskManager tip below:

The best way to get back on your feet is by pressing ctrl-alt-del. That will bring up the Task Manager. (In some cases it brings up the Windows Security dialog, but you can click on the Task Manager button from there to go where we need to be.)

Once in the Task Manager, make sure you are on the "Processes" tab and then click on "File" in the Task Manager menu. Then select "New Task (Run…)" and type "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) in the "open" field. Then click ok and watch a new incarnation of your desktop come to life in front of your eyes.

from:
http://www.windows-help-central.com/window…ns-missing.html
I can't right click (or left for that matter) on the desktop - nothing happens. I tried running explorer.exe from Task Manager and my desktopa dn toolbar flashed up, but immediatly disappeared. explorer.exe did the same thing in the proccess window. I tried it a few times. no dice Any other suggestions?
Hi Sunuva,

Sorry the "simple fixes" didn't do the trick for you.
Consider using "Kelly's Corner" reg fix designed for this same problem.
Note: "Fixes" at Kelly's Corner" can "seem" rather intimidating because they are presented as "direct download - executable files". So it seems the user is placing their trust in Kelly, without really knowing what is taking place.
It is possible to "open" and read the .reg fix in notepad, but the average user would probably not recognize/follow the steps included.

Kelly's Corner is Kelly Thurot, a Microsoft MVP and highly respected authority <–> Respected by other "authorities" including senior Members here at TomCoyote.

Just to "double-check" the proposed fix, I downloaded and ran it on this machine, with no problem. :)

Download here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #195, then double-click on the fix in the right-hand column (the one like that "bolded" below)
It is safe to execute the file.

195. Restore Wallpaper Views Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
____________

Further consideration:

Please note that "something" caused this problem to appear in the first place.
Running the "fix" from Kelly Thurot will very likely correct the immediate problem.
However, after running the fix, you should do a couple of online Malware scans to detect any bad-guys that may have crept onto your machine. (like I mentioned above - "something" caused the problem. Kelly Thurot's fix will likely restore the situation, but then you should take steps to be sure your machine is clean of any malware.

Best Regards
Sunova,
Bummer that this kind of thing always seems to happen when you have a deadline to meet. (school project) :angry:

Additional steps you may consider in follow-up.

1.
Run System File Checker to scan for and replace any missing or corrupted Operating System files.

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter

If SFC identifies any missing or corrupted OS files, it will prompt you to insert your XP installation CD to copy from.

SFC usually takes between 9 and 20 minutes to complete its run.
SFC does not produce a report, and simple disappears from the screen when completed.
The only way to know if SFC has detected and corrected anything is to observe during the scan progress.
_________________

2.
Run CHECKDISK to examine and repair the Hard Drive file structure.

Start - Run - (type)chkdsk /f /r - Enter

CHECKDISK will warn that it cannot be run, because it is unable to lock files or the system is in use.
CHECKDISK will invite you to allow it to run when the machine is next re-booted.
Respond with "Y" for yes to allow chkdsk /f /r to run at next boot.
Then reboot your machine.

CHECKDISK will initiate before allowing your machine to boot fully into Windows.
It takes between 30-40 minutes to complete the scan/repair.
It does not produce a "report" (or at least, the reports are rather obscure and not useful to the average user)
You can "watch" the progress and notice if CHECKDISK has detected any "bad-clusters" and moved/replaced any files.

If bad-clusters "are detected", you should repeat running CHECKDISK a second and third time until it runs through the entire scan without detecting any errors.

3.
Go to MS Updates to be sure that you have all of the critical updates and patches

4.
Consider posting a HJT Log over in Malware Removal to rule out infection.

Best Regards
Doug
I ran scannow, chkdsk, and kell's fix. Still no change (except everything on the screen got huge). No updates needed from MS updates. Thanks for your time so far - any other ideas?
Hi Sunova,

Windows operating system "should" have responded favorably to the applications as indicated in the prior recommendations.

"Something else" may be blocking your attempts to make these changes
Do you have any file management protection utilities running active?
For instance, WinPatrol, Wintasks, TeaTimer, Spyware Guardian, or components of your AV/security suite that may block changes?

Note: specifically regarding the condition: (except everything on the screen got huge)
Go to Control Panel - Display
Double-click on Display to bring up the Display Properties panel where you can adjust resolution from the Settings Tab

And/Or there may be "something else" continuing to interfere with the display as you prefer to have it.
You may be dealing with an infection.
Run your Spybot Search & Destroy (or download/update and run it, if you don't already have it installed)
Run your Ad-Aware SE Personal (or download/update and run it, if you don't already have it installed)

Delete your Temporary and Temporary Internet Files by using Disk Cleanup
Start - Run - (type)cleanmgr - Enter

Using Internet Explorer, run at least one of the following online malware scans
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
either one can take up to about an hour to run the complete scan.

Post the results from the scan(s) you decide to Run, back here into this thread.

Best Regards
Hi Sunova, When you first turn on your machine, is it "booting" to the VPN? Or do you boot to an operating system on your own hard drive and then link to the school?
It boots directly to the to Windows XP. I only linked to the VPN once to access a file I saved on that drive and disconnected.
Since the only "new" thing you report doing, prior to onset of this difficulty, was to download a single file…
That file becomes suspect.

Go to this site:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/
Click on their Browse function button to navigate to the location where you saved the file.
Then click Submit to allow Virusscan Jotti to analyse the file for malware.

The site will use 18 well respected tools to analyse the file.
Please be patient.
This site is heavily used, therefore sometimes you will received a warning that it is busy/unavailable due to heavy traffic.

The actual Scan can take between 5 - 20 minutes depending on other traffic and the size of your file.
The site may refuse to load/analyse if the file is exceptionally large (a few thousand kb, for instance)

You will be given a "report" on the page which you can copy/paste back here into this thread.
Ok.

This is where it appeared to me that you had downloaded a file to your machine:

It boots directly to the to Windows XP. I only linked to the VPN once to access a file I saved on that drive and disconnected.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI