This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cpu Useage Went To 100% Again

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My cpu useage just hit 100% computer froze for no reason had open a web page for movie trailer starte quick time computer froze clicked ctrl,alt, delete to see what was runnin and nothing but owner was there. cpu was @ 100% did a log off restarted it went to 32% then 2% then 0%
Hi DangedCoyote, Please post a fresh pcpitstop Full Tests TechExpress link. ______________ Note: When posting a topic, it is probably not a good idea to place the username of a specific Member into the Topic Title or Topic Description, as doing so may tend to discourage other helpers from posting even when they have potential solutions. TomCoyote OCP Forum functions best as a collaborative effort. I am constantly learning from other helpers here. I read most all the posts in this Forum and generally follow-up on topics where I've had prior involvement. We're a wonderfully civil group here, and generally don't interrupt another helper's work in progress. However, a fresh point of view is often useful. Best Regards, Doug
Hi DangedCoyote,

no offense ment.


And none taken. :thumbup:
Similarly, I mean no offense to you in my comment about including helper names in Forum Topics.
Actually, I am complimented that you would ask/include me in your requests.
It has been a joy assisting with your work, and I'm glad you've decided to use TomCoyote for your problem-solving needs.
In my comment, I'm just concerned about when I'm away from the Forums for a period of time.
I wouldn't want your topic to be passed over by other helpers.

I imagine that you've noticed the excellent quality of assistance provided by others, including but not limited to:
PAWS
Crow
Shelf Life
pacman123
Ax238
Hammer51
Galadriel
I just want to be sure that you get a response as promptly as possible.:)
_______________________

Your Pit Test looks very Good!
The 100% CPU useage that you experienced temporarily could be related to some of the "optional" items you have Running at StartUp:
NVIDIA driver helper NVIDIA Corporation C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
StarWind Rocket Division Software C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\Sta … \StarWindService.exe
RichVideo C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
StartupMonitor C:\WINDOWS\StartupMonitor.exe
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Anti-Malware Development a.s. C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold\ScsiAccess.exe
O&O Software GmbH C:\WINDOWS\system32\oodag.exe

You can safely disable any of the above, or leave them running safely.

Note: Even with all those items supposedly in "resting state" during the Pit Test, you have a CPU upload of 6%!
6% is actually quite a bit of upload at reasting state, and should be 0% or very close to that.

Consider what applications/utilities/processes you can live without at StartUp.
You can always start any of them manually as needed.
I'd definitely go after the:
Nvidia
StarWind
RichVideo
O&O
_________

I don't remember if you use Office XP Speech, but it is a heavy resource user.

AVG AntiSpyware is an excellent utility, but can be intensely resource consuming, particularly if set to run scans immediately after boot, or when Running in the Background as Real-Time protection.
I have AVG AntiSpyware on nearly all machines that I operate or monitor.
I always just use AVG AntiSpyware "manually" for regular scans.
___________

Though you have a relatively Strong computer, you could easily benefit from installing More RAM.
You would likely see less CPU load, and have less difficulty when various utilities are running in the background.
__________

Just to be sure that no nasties have creeped onto your system:

Run your Steven Gould's - CleanUp!
or
Download and Run ATF-Cleaner by Atribune
http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html
(note: it is common for machine's to run slightly slower directly after running ATF-Cleaner, since it cleans out the Prefetch Folder.)
Once you have opened your various preferred applications, they will "re-populate" the prefetch folder and will be opening briskly after their first run.

Note: Running either CleanUp! or ATF-Cleaner will delete any saved username/password combinations that you may have had Windows "save" for easy access to your familiar websites. You will therefore have to re-enter your username/Password on the first time you return to such a site.

Note: Running ATF-Cleaner will remove JAVA Cache - ActiveX components (a good thing to do periodically) and you will have to download a fresh copy of the ActiveX on any websites that require such. (for instance pcpitstop full tests)
___________

Next:
Run a Complete Scan with your AVG AntiSpyware
Allow it to Delete or Quarantine all items it identifies.
Save the Log from this scan, for posting in your next Reply.
__________

Next:
Run an Online Malware Scan.
(You've used Panda Online Scan before. It's a good one, so use it again at this time)
Allow Panda to take whatever actions it identifies and save the log for posting in your next Reply.

If you have additional questions/concerns, please post back.
Describe how your machine is running.
Copy/Past the AVG and Panda logs into the Reply, here in this same Thread.

Best Regards
Doug
I am so sorry it has been a bit; however, life happens.

What I would like to think of first is what pc pitstop says I have running, I have done this screen shot for you to see what I have running vs. what they said I had going. You know the difference better than I.

I have not got into the whole fix as you have lain out. I only want to see if there is a discrepancy in what they said vs. what I have running.

[external image: Posted Image]

and I hope I did the screen shot right this time!
Good morning,
Here is what I have for you today.
———————————————————
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
———————————————————

+ Created at: 10:51:53 PM 5/11/2007

+ Scan result:



Nothing found.


::Report end
————————————————
[external image: Posted Image]
I have ATF in my tech downloads folder so I ran it. I ran it about 5 times to get it to 0 files cleared. There seemed to be a lot. I would shut down after that. Once that was done I ran the two A.V. you said to run and as you can see things seemed fine.

Computer did and does run slower and I do understand that because of the ATF cleaning I have done.

The anti virus that I use is Avast. I, like you, have AVG but run it manually if and when I need it.

I do have some things that are new in my documents that I am not sure where they came from and I find that strange, however I have found out that Avast does do a "Virus Recovery Database" that I believe saves a copy of how your computer was/is every so often as to give you a back up method in case of Trojans.

As you can see many of the items that pc pitstop says I have running are not in my "start up" and so that still leaves me curious. I wonder if they are running in the background without me knowing it. I am pretty sure the "oodag.exe" is the defrag program I have scheduled to run every morning at 2 am. Not sure about the others.
I do use Office XP Speech.

I am not sure about Ram; perhaps you might make a suggestion or two as to what is better and a place that might provide it at a more economical cost.

I have not had the lock up since the last time.

I hope I have answered everything in an understandable fashion and I am prepared to do whatever is next.

Would you like another pc pit stop test?
Good Morning, right back atcha', DangedCoyote,:)

Your first posted concern was 100% CPU useage upon StartUp and computer freezing during viewing of online media.
I think I'm understanding that correctly. Let me know if I'm not.

Good Work So far. :thumbup:

Please give us a brief description of how your machine is functioning now, and any problems that are currently appearing.
_________

To answer your question about the apparent discrepancies between the Pit Test and your MSCONFIG StartUp Panel……

I'm about to launch into an answer that I wouldn't want to receive.
Mostly because it is an unsatisfactory answer and may not clarify the information about which you are inquiring.
I apologize in advance.
I'm also struggling with an urge to just shut up and not answer, in hopes that a more knowledgeable Member will provide something closer to a "real answer".
_________

Here goes anyway:

Part one of lame answer:
Some applications have settings to run or not run available inside of their own configuration/settings and do not rely on Windows StartUp menu available via MSCONFIG.
It is "usually" a better practice to "enable" and "disable" an application from inside of its own configuration.
But MSCONFIG is just so darn easy to use (add or remove a checkmark) that many folks use it instead or wading through the application's own settings.

Part two of lame answer:
Various tools, such as HJT, WinPatrol, StartUpMonitor, CodeStufStarters, PCPitstop Full Tests, MS- MSCONFIG, etc……..
"look" for items that the author of the tool believes to be important information.
You've noticed a difference of "reporting" what is found.
This actually reflects the basic "assumptions" that the tool authors have about what is important information to consider.
These differences can be "maddening".
(side note: this lame answer might also be "maddening")
These differences can also represent "where" the tool looks.
For instance, the Pit test identifies the executable Startup of nVidia Driver Helper, while the MSCONFIG identifies the nVCpl component (which indicates that the "nVidia Driver Helper 'service'" is running active.
The two amount to "about" about the same information, alerting the user to an active nVidia Driver Helper.
Names of identified items can also be different based on where and how the tool looks for it.
____________

So what is a owner/user supposed to do?
Well.
Relying on one tool may overlook something important available via another tool.
Using multiple tools may lead to information overload and increase confusion, when the attempt was to clarify.

Various "experts" gravitate to "favorite tools" and generally have a good background understanding of why they prefer specific tools, and why they may think it foolish to rely upon information generated by other tools.
Different opinions promoted by different experts, can lead to confusion.
__________

As always, it comes down to "what works" for any individual owner/user.
At first it can seem like "feeling your way in the dark".
__________

Both the Pit test and MSCONFIG identify
nvidia
startupmonitor
Avast
ctfmon.exe
_______

Pit Test separately notices:
StarWind (alcohol cd/dvd utilities) in two instances
RichVideo (powerDVD software)
OO Defrag tool
_________

MSCONFIG separately notices:
VTTimer (your S3 chipset helper)
LTMSG- (an internal dial-up modem)
Adobe (gamma)
CTFmon.exe (XP Speech special text handling)
__________

The Pit test probably "assumes" that
VTTimer is no big deal - everybody has a Chipset, enough said
LTMSG (dialup) is not big deal since you are using Broadband
Adobe gamma is no big deal since no other adobe components are currently running active

The Pit Test tends to look for "likely suspects" in third party softwares known to occasionally cause problems
so it is identifying the presense of:
Alcohol (since it is sometimes associated with downloads from peer-to-peer?)
OODefrag (since it represents a "second instance" of a defrag utility in addition to the native MS Defrag)
__________

What would I do in your present circumstance.

I'd disable everything in MSCONFIG - StartUp, except:
ashdisp
ctfmon.exe

and maybe keep StartupMonitor if I really liked it. (I don't use it so I don't know) (I would probably "prefer" WinPatrol)
___________

If you follow my preferences……….
(disable all in MSCONFIG - Startup except ashdisp and ctfmon.exe)
Then run for a while and see how your machine performs.
Then post a fresh Pit Test
And post any additional questions/observations about how the machine is running.
___________
___________

About RAM

Go to http://www.crucial.com
Use their automated RAM identifier utility to confirm the exact type of RAM your machine calls for.
(note: Crucial would be delighted to sell you their good products, but their prices are often high)

I like http://www.newegg.com for purchasing most types of hardware, including RAM.
TigerDirect "often" has better prices listed, but the pricing involves "rebates" with lengthy waiting for the rebate check.
Some folks really like http://www.zipzoomfly.com

Often, I get better prices on RAM by watching the "sales" at various local computer shops.
________

Keep us posted with your progess.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI