This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Question About Remote Access

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have two computers here in my office, there are 2 more in the house next door, we are on a network (so they can use my internet connection) and we share files. My neighbor comes over to hang out and sometimes will remote to his computer from my second computer. My neighbors computer is named MP4, my main computer is MsBossy, my second computer is called Thrdtry. I was viewing the admininstative logs on my computer and I noticed several, like a page length full, log in's from computer MP4. Success Audit, Failure, Failure.. most of them were Guest Logins and Anonomus, but all from computer MP4.. So, from the information I have given you, can you tell me if my computer was being remotely accessed from MP4? My neighbor knows the passwords to both of my computers. I checked the logs on my other computer and there were no entries from computer MP4, the only login were for itself, I even went and checked the other computers, the 4th computer (Steveosbaby) had no record entries for MP4 or for Msbossy, only for himself and MP4 did not have the security logs set up to record login auditing. Thanks.
if a neighbor is using your internet connection, i assume this is a wireless network. it could go against your isp's policy: usually a isp gives out one ip address to one physical address if its not secure, than its very possible that somebody else (other than the neighbor) is using your bandwidth also. still possible if secure and hacker is determined, but usually there are way to many easy open targets to play with.
Theres a couple of things you can do here to tighten up access to your computers. The first thing to do is, in your control panel, click on "system" and under the "remote" tab make sure that the "Remote Desktop" box is unchecked. That will allow your neighbor you to continue to remote into his from your house but will stop him from logging on to yours from his house (if your neighbor really knows what he is doing, he will immediately realize once he cannot log in from home that you (or someone) are aware of the situation. It will be a subtle but straight-forward hint.) the second thing is a bit more complicated and a little lengthy to explain but heres the short version (if you need to know more about this then pot back and I will fill you in). You can unforward port 3389 on your router (router/modem). However if you go this route, you need to be specially careful. You could end up shutting down your entire network. If you do go that route, I would make certain that you also change the password to your router and it wouldnt hurt to make sure that the "Remote administration" is disabled. Alternatively, another simple, yet not so secure action, you can take (and this is my favorite one to deter possible lurkers) is remove every user password on the computer. That REALLY makes'm mad because if someone is really wanting in to your computer that bad, and you suddenly disable all the passwords, then remote desktop is completely useless and thats about the last thing people expect you do. You have to be able to log in to use remote desktop. If your surfing around an just feel like someone is watching you and you want to find out. Right click on the taskbar and choose task manager. Under the "Users" tab, see if there any "Active" users (It should only show one user, yourself, ID of 0 and say "Active" out beside it). If there are users active other than yourself, right click on the user for different options to take. You can send them a message (which is always fun.."I seeeee you" is my personal favorite ^.^), you can disconnect them, log them off…etc. If you have any more questions, post back and let us know (hope you didnt mind me jumping in there shelf life, I sent you a pm but i gotta get to work. I figured you prolly wouldnt mind)
i have no idea how your network is set up or how your friend is using your bandwidth. it all might be fine. but routers ship with default settings and most people do not change any of them. this is like a big welcome sign. anybody with a wireless access point should: change default user names/ passwords on login page. use strong passwords. (letter,number combo) change the SSID broadcast default name so it dosnt say linksys or default enable and use WPA/WEP (encryption of data to router) use MAC address filtering (only allows devices with known MAC address, no others) enable the router internal SPI or firewall.

if a neighbor is using your internet connection, i assume this is a wireless network.
it could go against your isp's policy: usually a isp gives out one ip address to one physical address
if its not secure, than its very possible that somebody else (other than the neighbor) is using your bandwidth also. still possible if secure and hacker is determined, but usually there are way to many easy open targets to play with.

The way the houses are situated on the property, my house is behind the front house, there is a breezeway that seperates the houses, it is about 3 feet wide, the attics of the two houses are actually connected, so they are wired to a router that is is connected to the modem. My internet service provder is aware that there is more then one computer and more then one TV, they charge me I think 10.00 a month more.

i have no idea how your network is set up or how your friend is using your bandwidth. it all might be fine. but routers ship
with default settings and most people do not change any of them. this is like a big welcome sign. anybody with a wireless
access point should:

change default user names/ passwords on login page. use strong passwords. (letter,number combo)
change the SSID broadcast default name so it dosnt say linksys or default
enable and use WPA/WEP (encryption of data to router)
use MAC address filtering (only allows devices with known MAC address, no others)
enable the router internal SPI or firewall.

Well, I am not exactly sure if this is correct but I think there is a router in my house, it hooks to the cable modem. In their house, I think is a hub? We have changed the password, I believe the mac filtering is on, firewall. I was not really worried that somebody was hacking in on my bandwidth, as I mentioned I am sure we are hardwired, as our houses are very close, they are actually connected at the roof, seperated by a breezeway. But all the security info is very helpful.
Thank you.

Theres a couple of things you can do here to tighten up access to your computers. The first thing to do is, in your control panel, click on "system" and under the "remote" tab make sure that the "Remote Desktop" box is unchecked. That will allow your neighbor you to continue to remote into his from your house but will stop him from logging on to yours from his house (if your neighbor really knows what he is doing, he will immediately realize once he cannot log in from home that you (or someone) are aware of the situation. It will be a subtle but straight-forward hint.)

the second thing is a bit more complicated and a little lengthy to explain but heres the short version (if you need to know more about this then pot back and I will fill you in). You can unforward port 3389 on your router (router/modem). However if you go this route, you need to be specially careful. You could end up shutting down your entire network. If you do go that route, I would make certain that you also change the password to your router and it wouldnt hurt to make sure that the "Remote administration" is disabled.

Alternatively, another simple, yet not so secure action, you can take (and this is my favorite one to deter possible lurkers) is remove every user password on the computer. That REALLY makes'm mad because if someone is really wanting in to your computer that bad, and you suddenly disable all the passwords, then remote desktop is completely useless and thats about the last thing people expect you do. You have to be able to log in to use remote desktop.

If your surfing around an just feel like someone is watching you and you want to find out. Right click on the taskbar and choose task manager. Under the "Users" tab, see if there any "Active" users (It should only show one user, yourself, ID of 0 and say "Active" out beside it). If there are users active other than yourself, right click on the user for different options to take. You can send them a message (which is always fun.."I seeeee you" is my personal favorite ^.^), you can disconnect them, log them off…etc.

If you have any more questions, post back and let us know

(hope you didnt mind me jumping in there shelf life, I sent you a pm but i gotta get to work. I figured you prolly wouldnt mind)

Great information everybody. Thank you. I guess I was not clear in what I was asking, Is anybody familiar with the Administrative tools security log, in the event viewer? If he was remoting to my computer from his house, becuase he knows my login information and password, would I still be able to use my computer at the same time? would some sort of message be displayed to me, would my computer log off when the remote location logged in? in the security log, who or what is logging in as guest and as anonymous??

( I have a bunch of personal things my neighbor may be wanting to see without my knowledge, but hey, we all do, right? lol)

thank you again.
hi kimboley,

sorry for jumping to conclusions. i assumed your neighbor was jumping on your bandwidth via a unsecured access point. sounds like you have it under control, in any case if your isp charges you then they should support your setup also.
i have never used xp remote desktop feature between computers. i could hazard a guess to your questions but wouldnt feel uncomfortable doing so.

some links that may or may not prove useful to you:

http://itinfo.mit.edu/article.php?id=7324#rd

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Remo…leshooting.html

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art…1441&page=5

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI